Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range Report & first Outing for Elsie, vs Glock 17, S&W M&P9, and Ruger SR22

For the new year I'm starting a new discipline at the range.

1) 5 shots at each of 5 small targets (9/10ths of an inch bullseye, rings are 1/2" each) at 7 and 10 yards, with each of my current handguns (4 at present, all pistols).

2) 10 rapid fire shots at a man-shaped target at 7 yards. The target has an approximately 14" scoring ring printed over the silhouette. If I miss the rings but still hit the silhouette I award myself a 4.

My intention is to:

1) have a range day every month
2) regularize time, target and ammo usage at the range (to some degree)
3) track improvement or lack of it.
4) spot weaknesses and bad habits/trends and work towards eliminating them.

Maximum score on 5 targets would be 250 at each distance. My combined scores at 7 & 10 yards aimed:

S&W M&P9 - 229 and 214 - total 443/500 - 88.6%
Ruger SR22 - 219 & 181 - total 400/500 - 80%
Glock 17 - 196 & 183 - total 379/500 - 75.8%
Ruger LCP - 205 & 171 total 376/500 - 75.2%

And for rapid fire (out of 100):
SR22 - 79.5 (I actually did 20 shots and halved the score)
S&W - 78
Glock - 61

LCP did not participate in the rapid fire event this month.

Conclusions:

S&W M&P9. I didn't like this gun during my first few range visits, but it seems to be clicking for me now. Apart from a couple of stray shots (itchy trigger finger) everything aimed was within the black ring (7 or above). The trigger was initially crunchy when I bought it new, but either this has smoothed out after a few hundred rounds (plus some dry firing), or I'm not noticing it any more.

Ruger SR22. I expected this to the most accurate due to the low recoil, but I could see that I was shooting consistently high. If I can pull my aim down an inch I'd score much better. This is a gun you can shoot all day and not get tired from the recoil. I used both Remington Golden Bullets and Federal American Eagle, and the latter was the first ammo that gave me no misfires. Hopefully I've found the ammo that this particular SR22 likes best. I still had a few misfires with the RGBs.

Glock 17. I had expected this to be more accurate than the M&P. Like the SR22 I was shooting high, but grouping was good. Need to get that aim an inch lower too. Based on today's results if I had to get rid of one gun, this would be the one. I also had my first every Glock FTF, but I was using the cheapest steel-case Tulammo I could find. Brass feeds more smoothly.

Ruger LCP. This wasn't supposed to be a fun range gun, and it's not much fun to fire to be honest. It does bash the hand more than the others, significantly more than the SR22 of course, but I'm actually quite pleased with the accuracy. The plain black sights are not so easy to aim with, so beating the Glock at 7 yards was surprising. Maybe a dab of Tippex (as a trial) on the sights would help. As a gun I could carry concealed and whip out at an instant's notice, it fits the bill nicely. I have a 6-round and a 7-round magazine, and I felt that the 7-round made it fractionally easier to shoot as it gave my ring finger better purchase.

NB: The targets I'm using are the Hill 23/2 from Alcotarget.com, and the 25 yard Timed & Rapid Fire Target BT-5/BB from the same company.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Re: Range Report & first Outing for Elsie, vs Glock 17, S&W M&P9, and Ruger SR22

Thanks for the great range report. Will be looking forward to you future reports.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Range Report & first Outing for Elsie, vs Glock 17, S&W M&P9, and Ruger SR22

Thanks for the report and the detail you provide too.
I too own each of these guns and shoot them as regularly as I can.

The only difference is that my SW is a 9C and my Glock 17 has a Ghost connector trigger mod.

I too seem to shoot the best with the Smith? And also like you I didn't do it right off the bat but the more I shoot the gun the better I get with it.....as I do with each of them it is fair to say.

I think I would not feel as you do though as I am Combat Accurate with each of them and I find the Glock to just be better to shoot in a rapid fire drill for me.
Overall I think I would keep the Glock before the others both for rugged reliability and I have a number of different mags for it at this point.

I like the SR22 a lot and with just a little repetition I am pretty dead on with it and as for the LCP the exact same story is the case.
I can even empty a mag pretty quickly if I have been practicing for a little bit.

All of this leads me to echo advice I have received repeatedly from a few people I shoot with and trust that I concentrate on a line of guns that are similar if I am looking for Combat effectiveness and become so used to the trigger that it becomes second nature to me.

So I also have a G26 and do find that it handles pretty much like the G17. Couple that with the mag interchangeability between them and I ,again if I had to weed some out it is the Glocks that I would be left with?
And with no compromise either.

I also favor my Baby Desert Eagle 45 and then just snagged the same gun in a 9mm last week. I hope to make these 2 a pair in the same way that I can rely on my ability to shoot from experience that is common between them.

This is fun!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Add the hogue grip to your LCP.
Already done.

I need to add another range report, as I've been a couple of times since this first report. I'm cutting down on shots as 50+ per gun is costing too much, and I have more guns to add to the mix. I'm wondering if I'm really learning anything by shooting at 7 & 10 yards, other than that at 10 yards I'm going to score lower.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

LOL... Two great range reports. I've been slacking off with not hitting the range lately but have got to get back into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts