Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Why don't Ruger & KelTec...

...polish the loading ramps on these mouseguns at the factory? Seems like it would be more cost effective to do it on an assembly line basis in the first place, rather than have to deal with hundreds of customer returns & mailings. Or for the customers to have to do it themselves. Seems like that would be a simple solution and it might enhance their quality control reputation.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Question: Why don't Ruger & KelTec...

I have a hard time chambering the first round if the magazine is full. If it's loaded less than full no problems. I've read on this board that I can polish the ramp to fix it but I've never done that. Is there a tutorial on here or is it beyond something I should attempt.

·
Registered
200 Posts

I wondered the same thing- how long would it take at the factory, maybe 15 seconds per gun? Probably not even that long. I don't like having to work on something that is brand new to make it function correctly.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

habanero said:
I wondered the same thing- how long would it take at the factory, maybe 15 seconds per gun? Probably not even that long. I don't like having to work on something that is brand new to make it function correctly.
I can't do mine in 15 seconds, takes me about 5 minutes to polish the feed ramp and inside the chamber. Ruger does a good job, 99% never touch the feed ramp and they are ok,. My point has always been "that you can make it even better".

One need not touch his Ruger lcp to make it go bang..

smoke um it u got um ;D

G

·

I couldn't agree more that these basic finishing steps should be done before the gun is shipped. I realize this is not the most expensive gun you can buy, but not everyone has 600/1200 grit paper, Dremels, felt tips or polishing compounds sitting around, or the technical smarts to use them correctly. It really is asking a lot of customers to invest in the tools and time to complete the manufacturing process at home that should have been done before he/she ever saw it.

Ruger has had not one but two shots at getting each of these guns right and folks are still polishing this, taking burrs off of that, replacing springs here and mag end plates there. I was just beginning to get comfortable with my LCP after 150 or so rounds through it and now I see people just beginning to have problems at 500. Jeeesh! I'm going back to my SP-100; no rebuilding required there.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

A Dremmel is not mandatory but it's nice to have. All you really need is the wet/dry grit paper. And the stuff is sold in virtually any automotive supply store. No tools required, no mess for the wife to complain about. The whole job should take you no more than 10 minutes and you can do it while you're watching TV. Really guys, this is not hard to do. High lustre barrrel polishing is not something that's routinely done at the factory these days. In fact, it's not even the norm with more expensive weaponry, reason-being, nine times out of 10, the gun works just fine right out of the box with a minimal of factory polishing, the LCP included. If it doesn't, the cause is typically related to something else. But in some cases, a little extra polishing CAN make the difference between success and failure. It certainly can't hurt.

Not sure I understand or can validate your statistics citing problems but bottom line, if you don't have confidence in your weapon, don't turn it into a safe queen, dump it and carry/purchase something else. One thing is for sure, you won't have a problem selling an LCP.

G

·

If you are referring to my 500 round figure as questionable statistics, there is a post in another thread in this forum (same subject) by someone whose LCP was trouble free for the first 500 rounds or so, but now was experiencing slide not going into battery and other hang up problems. He had done all the at-home required polishing, deburring, cleaning/lubricating etc. but was still having late-developing problems. I don't have time right now to find it and link it, but that's my 500 round source.

Also, I meant SP-101. I don't have an SP-100.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

cosgun said:
I couldn't agree more that these basic finishing steps should be done before the gun is shipped. I realize this is not the most expensive gun you can buy, but not everyone has 600/1200 grit paper, Dremels, felt tips or polishing compounds sitting around, or the technical smarts to use them correctly. It really is asking a lot of customers to invest in the tools and time to complete the manufacturing process at home that should have been done before he/she ever saw it.

Ruger has had not one but two shots at getting each of these guns right and folks are still polishing this, taking burrs off of that, replacing springs here and mag end plates there. I was just beginning to get comfortable with my LCP after 150 or so rounds through it and now I see people just beginning to have problems at 500. Jeeesh! I'm going back to my SP-100; no rebuilding required there.
what people are these, damn one of two people come foreward with an issue and u want to bail. Man this crap to me is getting very old. Some just want to hammer, If you dont' want to polish your feed ramp, hell don't do it, No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Just some giving some additional advice. Hell there guns, they are all prices, look at the $1000 and $2000 guns that also give some issue and need some TLC also.
Best yet in doubt PEDDLE THE F--KERS. :mad: :mad:

I had an x-wfie 23 years ago that DIDN'T WORK, peddled her a-s and moved on, got one now that works real good ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

habanero said:
8 hr shift ruger is cranking out 500 guns,( their own statement of one ever 52 seconds) takeing an extra 15 seconds would cost them about 125 guns less per shift. Just ain't gonna happen. Evenif they could do it in 15 seconds.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Cos, you need to put things in perspective - there is not a creation out there - God or man-made that is not subject to the occassional problem. That and the fact that people are far more prone to post problems than successes. Please accept in the spirit intended.

If it was 500 rounds and then problems for one individual vs. 500 people having problems than I think your argument is even more of an eyebrow raiser (sorry I tend to read posts too quickly sometimes). I have had 1000 rounds through my LCP and no problems. He and I zero each other out. :)

I forgot to mention too that polishing at least for me was relaxing. Ditto for reloading.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

kraigster414 said:
Cos, you need to put things in perspective - there is not a creation out there - God or man-made that is not subject to the occassional problem. That and the fact that people are far more prone to post problems than successes. Please accept in the spirit intended.

If it was 500 rounds and then problems for one individual vs. 500 people having problems than I think your argument is even more of an eyebrow raiser (sorry I tend to read posts too quickly sometimes). I have had 1000 rounds through my LCP and no problems. He and I zero each other out. :)

I forgot to mention too that polishing at least for me was relaxing. Ditto for reloading.

Cheers.
Add to that mine at 1550 rounds and not one issues, pre mod and post mod combined.. ::)

·
Registered
3 Posts

Has anyone done a polished job on a blued lcp?? Just wondering if that may be a problem removing the blue form the barrel feedramp and barrel? thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Yes, Dolf it would be removed but in time, the bluing in that area is going to take a hit anyway. Assuming you are having feed problems and the surface of the ramp and throat could be a contributing factor, the advantages of polishing outweigh the disadvantages.

By the way, welcome!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

kraigster414 said:
Yes, Dolf it would be removed but in time, the bluing in that area is going to take a hit anyway. Assuming you are having feed problems and the surface of the ramp and throat could be a contributing factor, the advantages of polishing outweigh the disadvantages.
my blued barrel,, the feed ramp was not blued, which told me that Ruger indeed did do some polishing to the ramp . One should be able to polish the ramp and chamber without up setting the outside blueing , but over time it will wear, no doubt about it. My glock barrel is blued and so far with about 3000 rounds down range it shows zero signs of wear, so who knows maybe the ruger finsih will stay on to..

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

To be honest, I have yet to see one of the new blued LCP barrels. If the feedramp is blued, yes to the fact you will no doubt remove partial bluing when polishing assuming it's your typical bluing. Glock's finish is extremely hard and wear/rust-resistant. This is due in large part to the application of Tenifer - chemistry that is actually embedded in the base metal and it goes fairly deep. That same basic chemistry is applied to other guns (XD, M&P, etc.) under different trade names - Melonite being one. Not sure if Tenifer is applied to t he Glock barrels as is the case with the Glock slides but I suspect that the LCP bluing is nothing to write home about in comparison and a good feedramp polishing would affect the LCP bluing - if in fact the feedramp is blued. If the LCP blued barrels do not have blued feedramps, the issue is moot. Polish away, there's nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

Probably somewhere in the vicinity of $15 to $25. Anything more than that is highway robbery considering the degree of work involved.

G

·

Kraigster, you are right, of course, in saying there are relatively few real, non-self-induced LCP problems, considering the many thousands of them that have been produced. I was just agreeing with Habenero (above) who said he didn't like having to work on new products to make them function correctly. I still agree with that, but it is what it is.

I have put 150 or so rounds through my LCP and will have done another 150 by Monday. No problems so far and don't expect any. Won't be dumping it any time soon, but I still look wistfully at my SP-101 from time to time. If it just didn't weigh about as much as a gun safe . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

cosgun said:
Kraigster, you are right, of course, in saying there are relatively few real, non-self-induced LCP problems, considering the many thousands of them that have been produced. I was just agreeing with Habenero (above) who said he didn't like having to work on new products to make them function correctly. I still agree with that, but it is what it is.

I have put 150 or so rounds through my LCP and will have done another 150 by Monday. No problems so far and don't expect any. Won't be dumping it any time soon, but I still look wistfully at my SP-101 from time to time. If it just didn't weigh about as much as a gun safe . . . . . .
ur dead right but I have found that most even after feeling their guns is working correctly still like to tinker around with them, and polishing the feed ramp is one thing they normally tinker with. Doesnt have to be done as ur lcp shows that, mine didn't either BUT I STILL DONE IT..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.