Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch the video and what do you see! You see officers ordering the suspect to put the gun down and it appears he is complying, and then he is shot in the back! Is that what you see? That is what I saw and I watched it six times. Watch the video again and watch the suspect’s right hand as he places the weapon down with his left hand! What you don't see, but the officer behind the suspect does see is the suspect pulling a hidden handgun from his right rear waistline with his right hand. The second officer yells gun and shoots probably saving the first officer’s life. Even after the suspect is shot and down you can see the handgun in his right hand. Just a reminder, what you think you see at first does not always tell the truth. Watch it again and again and learn! Be Safe!

G

·
Obviously a training video. The officers gun doesn't eject any shells and has no recoil... Interesting none the less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quite a few years ago when I took my CCW class, it was conducted at a local Junior College where that county's sheriff's department classroom training took place. As a CCW class, we got to utilize the department's simulator - it was a large room, and one entire wall was a video screen (probably 9' high and 20' wide). In pairs, my classmates and I donned hip holsters containing Glocks which were wired to the computer simulator.

As each scenario began, the instructors (a retired FBI agent and a couple of sheriff's deputies) would set it up for us:
"You are arriving home with your friend. As you pull your car into your driveway, you see a woman, who you recognize as your neighbor, in front of your garage...." and then they'd begin the simulator. Each scenario was different, and the exercise was designed to show us how difficult it was to make a shoot/no-shoot decision under pressure AND to see if we could hit where we were aiming as we drew and targeted the person/people on video. Each time we pulled the trigger, the computer kept track of every shot including who discharged it, what #bullet it was from each pistol, and it would display the bullet's impact area when the re-ran the simulation for review.

So in the driveway scenario outlined above, the first time it ran the lady on video is brandishing an almost-empty bottle of whisky. She is obviously drunk and aggressive - cussing and waving her arms all around as she stumbles about and verbally threatens you. She takes a last slug from her bottle, emptying it - and tosses it on the ground, then reaches behind her to grab something. So the two classmates drilled her... only to have the video continue and show that she was just grabbing another flask from her back pocket.

This same scenario played to a later partner pairing, and when the drunk lady reached behind her, she pulled out a revolver and shot them. A great illustration of how difficult it can be to anticipate what an aggressor may do in any situation. There were quite a few of these simulations, all with multiple possible outcomes, and it was VERY valuable training time to me, as I often reflect on it as I'm carrying and witnessing some conflict that I believe has the potential to develop into something larger and/or entangle me in it.

Carry safe.
Ralph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.