Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading most all handgun calipers for 40+ years now and never seen anything like this.
Due to Covid I haven't been able to get out and shoot for more than a year and hadn't been keeping up on things
Last weekend I went to the gunshow in Lakeland FL for some fun and eye candy so I thought I might also pick up a few bricks of primers while there. The first table I stopped at that had a few bricks had a price tag on them of $200, I laughed and said "whats that, a joke?" He gave me a stern look and said, that's the price, take it or leave it. The next vender had a few bricks priced at $250 and the last one I saw was priced at $300. I swear this is the God's honest truth, I've never seen anything like this. I remember during the Obama years availability got very thin and prices were marked up 10% or so but nothing like this, $30 a 1,000 marked up to $300, I couldn't believe it.
These vendors should be ashamed of themselves, raping their brother shooters like this. At 70+ my memory isn't so good anymore so I wrote down their names so I can be sure never to buy anything from them when the manufactures start getting caught up. Good thing I always kept a pretty strong stash and shouldn't run into any trouble for a while but it will definitely remain in the back of my mind, maybe time to cut back on my 300 round outings now that the ranges are opening up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yea it's a sin what some guys are askin' for components. My LGS has LPP and SPP on a regular basis, but only allow 100 per type per person per day. Cost is between $9.99 and $10.99 depending on brand ...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been reloading most all handgun calipers for 40+ years now and never seen anything like this.
Due to Covid I haven't been able to get out and shoot for more than a year and hadn't been keeping up on things
Last weekend I went to the gunshow in Lakeland FL for some fun and eye candy so I thought I might also pick up a few bricks of primers while there. The first table I stopped at that had a few bricks had a price tag on them of $200, I laughed and said "whats that, a joke?" He gave me a stern look and said, that's the price, take it or leave it. The next vender had a few bricks priced at $250 and the last one I saw was priced at $300. I swear this is the God's honest truth, I've never seen anything like this. I remember during the Obama years availability got very thin and prices were marked up 10% or so but nothing like this, $30 a 1,000 marked up to $300, I couldn't believe it.
These vendors should be ashamed of themselves, raping their brother shooters like this. At 70+ my memory isn't so good anymore so I wrote down their names so I can be sure never to buy anything from them when the manufactures start getting caught up. Good thing I always kept a pretty strong stash and shouldn't run into any trouble for a while but it will definitely remain in the back of my mind, maybe time to cut back on my 300 round outings now that the ranges are opening up.
I think primers went past $200 before Christmas, and were $250-300 by February.
In about May of 2020, the local big reloading shop said "We don't expect to see any primers until the summer of 2021."
Gunbroker's best buy-it-now prices right now are $180+$20 shipping.
Midway had their page set at $44 from January 2020, and a perpetual "Temporarily Unavailable" status. A month or two ago, they changed the price to $75. They usually mess with pages when they expect to get new stock some time. At the same time, they removed and declared discontinued 5,000 quantities. I keep checking that one, because their notifications are not reliable.
Some websites pulled Remington brand primers from their offerings (removed those pages from their websites). It's not really clear those are going to return to the market at all.

It seemed like every time they pushed the price of manufactured ammo up, they followed up by pushing the price of components to match, just to render reloading "economically un-viable".

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've been to just two gun shows since the last presidential election. It has been obscene to watch ammunition prices climb the way they have. It can only happen if there are those who actually succumb to those price demands, and encourage other sellers to do the same.
When I get calls asking if I have any .22 rimfire ammunition in stock, my answer is that I have none to sell. I purposely put all my .22 rimfire inventory in two locked cupboards and only sell to my best customers who are in dire need. I also tell them that it is wise to buy when the buying is good and then if times like these strike us again, they can ride out the storm.

From what I've been seeing, is that centerfire handgun ammunition is starting to become more and more available, so that's no doubt as to where the primer stock is going, to assemble ammunition. Once, the demand for complete rounds dies down, then no doubt we'll be able to have primers of all sorts available for reloaders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once, the demand for complete rounds dies down, then no doubt we'll be able to have primers of all sorts available for reloaders.
From your lips to Gods ear.
As been stated it's best to keep a good stock of loaded and ammo components in house, we never know whats going to happen. During the OBama years I put in a good supply of rimfire and some other stuff but never expected to see this price explosion into reloading components like this.
We Won't Get Fooled Again! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
This prices are crazy nowadays..i pick up done few bricks at Tactical-guns – My WordPress Blog last week.
Try checking if there still got some primers in stock.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts