Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read different variations of the mag release issues with the LCP. Thought I'd just take some photos and post up mine.

I have a brand-spanking new Ruger LCP (ordered from online auction from good seller). Just purchased Jan 2009, and the test fire date from factory was Dec 2008. I haven't fired it yet. It has a 371-xxxxx serial number, so this one is POST RECALL.

One of the first things I did when I got it out of the box was attempt to insert the magazine. I was surprised when it got stuck half way up the grip and refused to go any further with a modest amount of force. I read up on this, but didn't come up with much. One guy's post said the Ruger call desk told him to just slam it in there a few times and it would loosen up. Hmmm...don't know if I like the sound of that. I forced it up a couple times, so yes, I can get it in there now, but it doesn't feel right.

I wanted to see what was going on, so I took a few photos, and I now see what's happening. I'm looking for suggestions, or maybe others who've run into this. Have a look at my photos.

1) This one shows how far the mag will go before getting stuck:

2) This one is a shot of the inside of the mag well from the bottom of the grip....you can see the mag catch (? not sure if this is the correct term):

3) This one is a shot down into the mag well from the top through the locked back slide:

4) This one is a shot of the magazine and the catch side by side -- the mag catch inside the mag well gets hung up on the front edge of the magazine (i.e., right where the top edge of the mag curves down and the goes horizontal again...it gets caught on the lower horizontal edge at the top of the mag...hard to describe :-\):

5) This is a shot inside the mag well (view from top through locked back slide) of the edge of the magazine getting hitting up against the mag catch on its way up the mag well:

So, as you can see, the magazines upper edge gets snagged on the mag catch as it's inserted. The comment I heard about slamming it home a few times would seem only to cause the metal magazine edge to wear down the plastic mag catch until it's not sticking. I hate the idea of having to wear down the mag catch...seems like it'll only cause issues down the road.

This is a huge disappointment for me. I went post-recall to avoid issues, and I convinced my wife the LCP would be higher quality than the Kel-Tec P3AT, which she initially wanted.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
Yes we have beat this issue to death under a couple different headings.If you read around you will be able to catch up on some different points. First off, is your magazine release polymer? It sounds like it probably is because you mentioned a concern about wearing it down. Ruger has already started installing metal release latches in some guns. Davenc which frequents this board also manufactures a beautiful aftermarket metal latch, which is what I happen to have in my gun. If you biggest issue is having to push the release button in you only have an inconvenience, unlike others that are having an issue with the follower hitting the magazine release on the upward travel as you fire rounds and the magazine releasing. Take yours to the range and get back to us with your results.
I'm also not a fan of driving the magazine into the gun but it may help to use the button a couple hundred times and see if it doesn't help putting a radius on the bottom side of your polymer release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mag release button is plastic....at least on the outside. I think the parts inside the mag well are also plastic but I'll have another look, since my LCP is a recent manufacture.

It's nice to know that there's an aftermarket release (from davenc).  I'll look into this.  I'll also post my experience shooting it to see if I also have the other issue you mentioned with the follower getting caught and the mag dropping.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
pushin on the mag release and u will never have an issue, slam it home and u will have an issue down the road. Again for me not a race gun, so why slam. easier on the magazine and mag catch to just touchthe release button upon insertion. I d that will my metal mag release semi's also, just habit I guess.

if in doubt buy the ruger metal catch and have it ready to go, but IMO if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine from the get go always required the release to be pressed to insert the magazine. I did not think too much about it and figured it might give it some more life to just press the catch to insert the magazine. I guess I did not see that issue as a problem, only a quirk. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
just how often do you insert the mag? over the last 4 months, not counting at the range twice, i've inserted a mag and charged my lcp about 3 times. it's been sitting there in battery since before christmas. probably will stay like that until memorial day or even independence day. i just don't handle my weapon often enough to care about the mag release. ymmv

·
Registered
14 Posts
My post-recall LCP is shipping out to Ruger tomorrow (again) to have the mag-release replaced.

I have the mag dropping out issue, the metal mag release seems to be the fix.

I'll be interested to see if i have this issue with the new mag release.....let you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kensteele said:
just how often do you insert the mag? over the last 4 months, not counting at the range twice, i've inserted a mag and charged my lcp about 3 times. it's been sitting there in battery since before christmas. probably will stay like that until memorial day or even independence day. i just don't handle my weapon often enough to care about the mag release. ymmv
You're far too complacent in my view. If more people would let Ruger know about the issue, maybe we wouldn't have to play QC on future models...they'd avoid the hassle by getting it right the first time.

Why shouldn't I have the expectation that the product will function as designed? It's not hard to just push in the release each time, and truly don't do it often. But, I don't want to wait for it to become a bigger problem, such as a worn down part and mag drops.

I like to resolve problems from the onset.

I would encourage others to at least let Ruger know about your guns issues so they'l really understand how many people are affected by it.

Would you be satisfied if your new car had a faulty door lock that seemed to work alright as long as you pushed on the window switch while pressing on the lock switch?

Especially when there is a cheap or free solution why not make Ruger make it right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
justdrivin said:
My post-recall LCP is shipping out to Ruger tomorrow (again) to have the mag-release replaced.

I have the mag dropping out issue, the metal mag release seems to be the fix.

I'll be interested to see if i have this issue with the new mag release.....let you know.
Yeah, please do. DId they offer to do anything else (free mag or hat like with the recall items)?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, no free offers....dang!

It took 3-4 calls and mentioning Andrew and this site to get them clear on the issue and what has been done to fix some with the mag-dropping problem.

Did get a label - gun going out today, hope this is it!! no more issues......

·
Registered
10 Posts
My LCP, which was retrofitted before I got it new, was the same way. I use to push the magazine release button religiously. I would insert the mag till it stopped, press the release button to fully seat, but found this procedure to be unnecessary after 300 plus rounds. Keep using the mag release button until she wears in, you should be fine afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
justdrivin said:
It took 3-4 calls and mentioning Andrew and this site to get them clear on the issue and what has been done to fix some with the mag-dropping problem.
So, this is kind of my point that I was trying to make above. They've got this cruddy mag release issue, and they don't appear to know what's going on without having you work your way through a maze first. Sounds like if they were getting more calls on it, they'd know what to do immediately without wasting time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pocketbuddy said:
My LCP, which was retrofitted before I got it new, was the same way.  I use to push the magazine release button religiously.  I would insert the mag till it stopped, press the release button to fully seat, but found this procedure to be unnecessary after 300 plus rounds.  Keep using the mag release button until she wears in, you should be fine afterwards.
What do you suppose caused the problem to go away?  Just the springs losing some of their tension?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pocketbuddy said:
My LCP, which was retrofitted before I got it new, was the same way. I use to push the magazine release button religiously. I would insert the mag till it stopped, press the release button to fully seat, but found this procedure to be unnecessary after 300 plus rounds. Keep using the mag release button until she wears in, you should be fine afterwards.

Same for thing for me, works fine after a few hundred rounds. But I will continue to to push the release like I do with all my pistols. Had a Kahr once that nothing worked for a couple of hundred rounds. Once it broke in it was a flawless shooting gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
casteal said:
Pocketbuddy said:

Same for thing for me, works fine after a few hundred rounds. But I will continue to to push the release like I do with all my pistols. Had a Kahr once that nothing worked for a couple of hundred rounds. Once it broke in it was a flawless shooting gun.
Yeah, but Kahr is upfront about there being a 200 round break in period. Everyone knows that and expects it when they buy a (poly) Kahr.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
casteal said:
Same for thing for me, works fine after a few hundred rounds. But I will continue to to push the release like I do with all my pistols.
You do this for all your pistols? I'm a fairly new shooter (3 years and a couple guns). I thought guns were built so you could just insert the mag -- I don't recall seeing any instructions in the manuals of the guns I own that you should press the mag release when inserting a mag...could be mistaken. Maybe I'm spoiled though, since my first two guns are Sigs.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Coltrane59 said:
casteal said:
Same for thing for me, works fine after a few hundred rounds. But I will continue to to push the release like I do with all my pistols.
You do this for all your pistols? I'm a fairly new shooter (3 years and a couple guns). I thought guns were built so you could just insert the mag -- I don't recall seeing any instructions in the manuals of the guns I own that you should press the mag release when inserting a mag...could be mistaken. Maybe I'm spoiled though, since my first two guns are Sigs.
you can slam it home for awhile..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Coltrane59 said:
I thought guns were built so you could just insert the mag -- I don't recall seeing any instructions in the manuals of the guns I own that you should press the mag release when inserting a mag...could be mistaken. Maybe I'm spoiled though, since my first two guns are Sigs.
Just because you Can slam it in and it works, doesn't mean it's the "Best Practice". Regardless if the mag catch is metal or plastic , or whatever brand handguns you own, slamming it in causes excessive wear that can be prevented by simply pressing in the mag catch while inserting a fresh magazine. It's a mechanical connection and reducing resistance reduces wear. Just because that is how they do it in the movies doesn't mean it's the best way. i like to get to the range at least once a month with 2 or 3 different guns each outing, and probably average about 200 rounds each session. Over enough time and years you can extend the life of both the catch and your mags by making this a regular practice. The same principals apply to regular cleaning and lubrication. JMO

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I do not see how a new metal magazine release is going to fully resolve the problem. If you look at the magazine follower and then imagine a stronger magazine release in place the magazine release is going to push upon the follower and thus still cause a binding effect. It seems to me that there is an inherit design flaw here in the whole process. Those who have a Glock look at your magazines. The magazine is fully enclosed. The magazine release contacts a groove set into the outside of the magazine, thus there is never a chance of the binding effect that occurs with the LCP. Removing excess plastic from the follower of the LCP in the area that passes across the magazine release area will help to alleviate some of the problem but will that fully resolve the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I almost feel cheated. I got my LCP back from the recall with all the freebies, but...I still have a plastic release (I cannot for the life of me see a roll pin in it). I, too, always press the release when inserting the magazine, as I do with all my guns that have a thumb-operated release. This is just a habit I developed over the years. However, I do not have any feed issues with either the original or "new, improved, extended" magazine. I disassembled both magazines and the followers are the same "full bucket" type; the new magazine does not have a cutaway follower. When I insert the magazine housing into the well, the release does not extend far enough into the housing to contact the follower, nor does either magazine fall out during firing. Have I been denied an opportunity for grievance?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.