Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The roll pin installed in the early post-recall LCPs is very hard to see when installed in the gun. Here is a photo of the part itself after I took it out and installed Dave Anderson's far superior metal mag catch - note the roll pin, center bottom:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kraigster,
Let us know if you have any feed issues with the new freebie magazine (with the new style follower) after you get that custom metal mag catch installed. It might require using a file to remove some of the material in the area where the mag catch would hang up.

My LCP is back at Ruger for a retrofit of the new Ruger Metal mag catch now.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
kraigster414 said:
The roll pin installed in the early post-recall LCPs is very hard to see when installed in the gun. Here is a photo of the part itself after I took it out and installed Dave Anderson's far superior metal mag catch - note the roll pin, center bottom:

I would bet mine has that same set up to, no wonder I couldn't see that little bugger. Installed properly, it should work fine.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
N2LCP said:
Kraigster,
Let us know if you have any feed issues with the new freebie magazine (with the new style follower) after you get that custom metal mag catch installed. It might require using a file to remove some of the material in the area where the mag catch would hang up.

My LCP is back at Ruger for a retrofit of the new Ruger Metal mag catch now.
All my mag followers (7) are the same whether in my old mags or the freebie mag. I never had a problem with any of them. But I am going to try two full mags of each at the range just to be sure everything is working ok.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Kraigster, I believe you may have to remove a little material from the followers. I believe Dave made the catch long enough so that there will be no chance of it releasing. You should be able to test this with snap caps but the range will be the real test.

·
Registered
75 Posts
MNBud said:
I believe Dave made the catch long enough so that there will be no chance of it releasing.
Good bet that if the metal mag catch is extending into the mag well sufficiently to provide complete positive retention and with enough grab so that the mag will not get pulled out by downward force exerted by the finger extension, it would have to interfear (hang) on an unmodified follower. keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FYI guys,
When I mill the releases, the part of the release that locks the mag in is within 2 thousands of the original width of the plastic one. I would bet that my releases have more uniformity in tolerance all around then the plastic ones. Especially where it counts. Note that Plastic has much better natural lubrication properties then metal does ( Cold rolled steel has zero) so the plastic releases will be more forgiving as far as dropping mags goes. Plastic tends to slip while metal tends to bite. This is why it was NECESSARY to modify MNBUD's follower. That and the fact that the follower should have been given some relief from day one by the manufacture. This is of course IMO. ;D Also the edges will stay sharp on the metal release indefinitely except where the magazine rests on the top of the metal release. There will be some natural honing that takes place during normal cycling of replacing magazines, which is why it's important to have enough material so this doesn't become an issue.

I had a guy that purchased a release from me for a Keltec P3AT. He was using the bersa extension and totally destroyed the release. Apparently he had rather LARGE hands was pushing the release in while he was firing. That along with the downward pressure applied by the bersa extension was enough to sufficiently round the edge of the release where it makes contact with the magazine. He tried to send it back to me by my request but it got lost in the mail and I was never able to see it. The envelope went through the sorter at the post office and it ripped the release right out of the envelope. This is why I use the manila envelopes now since they do NOT go through the sorter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.