Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all i just got this little guy but haven't shot it yet but after watching a lot of videos on it I knew I would need to paint the sights.it seems every body dose it the own way and different colors and what not. I used the Birchwood paint pens. The question i have is shouldnindonthe back one green or leave it white? Sorry for the bad pictures my phone is old

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
I left my rear sites as is. Still experimenting. Have fun.
I tried white and yellow on my EC9s. Settled on yellow and may try orange next. Some friends swear by orange. Any color for me is better than black. Getting older is a pain some days! My eyes pickup white better but will test just to find out.
*My Glock G44 came with white and I love the white on that rimfire.
*My LCPII22LR is about to get a white front site.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I painted both front and rear sights white. When the target is sighted properly it looks like a white bar straight across. Works for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On that gun, I would paint the front site White and the rear sight Black. On most of my EDC guns, I blacken out the rear sight. Just too distracting for fast point and shoot. These are not target guns.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Back in my hand gun hunting days, I experimented with different colored front sight. White and sky blue worked the best for me.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Back in my hand gun hunting days, I experimented with different colored front sight. White and sky blue worked the best for me.
In the 60's my uncle used sky blue on his hand guns in the field. I have tried yellow and white(front) on these smaller point and shoot gems. It has been along time since I considered sky blue but will give it a go. Orange is next on my test and will consider sky blue. He was a great marksman so who knows it is worth a try. Eyes are not what they used to be so even for point and shoot drills for me anything is better than black.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On that gun, I would paint the front site White and the rear sight Black. On most of my EDC guns, I blacken out the rear sight. Just too distracting for fast point and shoot. These are not target guns.
Well Said! For What it's worth, As a Police firearms instructor and former SWAT team commander, I can not emphasize the importance of practicing "point and shoot". The LCP points very well and sights should not be used in a defensive carry pocket pistol. Practice with an empty pistol, pointing and looking across the top of the slide at a selected target inside 7 yards. No need to pull the trigger, just practice the quick point. Trying to use sights will get you killed!! There is no second place winners in a gunfight. The vast majority of times, the one who lands the first shot ON TARGET walks away alive!! The LCP is made for "up close and personal" defensive work. Always remember that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well Said! For What it's worth, As a Police firearms instructor and former SWAT team commander, I can not emphasize the importance of practicing "point and shoot". The LCP points very well and sights should not be used in a defensive carry pocket pistol. Practice with an empty pistol, pointing and looking across the top of the slide at a selected target inside 7 yards. No need to pull the trigger, just practice the quick point. Trying to use sights will get you killed!! There is no second place winners in a gunfight. The vast majority of times, the one who lands the first shot ON TARGET walks away alive!! The LCP is made for "up close and personal" defensive work. Always remember that.

Oh Yes indeed. Just point your gun at a spot and then looking where your sight actually end up is one of the most over looked skills rarely mentioned. I do it all the time and have for years. I also shoot a lot of BB and Pellet guns using point and shoot. Easy to practice with. Just focus on the target and the eyes will be your laser. After a while it just becomes natural.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for this! True words of wisdom here. I now at each range session make time to practice point and shoot drills with some double tap drills. I save my target practice for my Mark III and other target pistols. My snubbies and smaller shooters I have had blast with point and shoot drills. At 62yrs old still learning and loving all range times.

·
Registered
273 Posts
At 7 yards you probably don't even need sights.

Reactions: rclark28

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use white appliance enamel as it is tougher. I also paint the back of the hammer so I can see the trigger start to break.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Police have less than 30% accuracy! Where do the other 70% of the projectiles land? Maybe they should learn to use their sights. Denny

https://www.google.com/search?clien...+enforcement+weapon+shooting+hit+vs+miss+data

No, they need to train more. No one gets a free ride. You have to be diligent with your training. Drawing, Point and shoot skills etc. Frequent moderate training sessions. Shooting any gun once a month is not acceptable, especially a Pocket gun. And if you have owned a LCP more than two years and it has not broken down, then you are not training.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Orange on all my handguns, if they don't already have something.

I'm not a policeman and don't play one in real life. Meaning in part I don't get paid to carry a gun. The only person I have to keep happy is me.
If I felt like I needed to wear out a handgun every two years to stay "proficient" I probably would just carry a stick. Or move.

But bright orange was my answer.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I agree with the point and shoot practice with these little guns.The are meant for SD in what would probably be a high stress situation. I practice so at the range at targets no more that 10-15 ft., sometimes moving towards me.
I also practice point and shoot at home with a laser training cartridge. Practice all you want at no cost and you can see exactly where you would hit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with the point and shoot practice with these little guns.The are meant for SD in what would probably be a high stress situation. I practice so at the range at targets no more that 10-15 ft., sometimes moving towards me.
I also practice point and shoot at home with a laser training cartridge. Practice all you want at no cost and you can see exactly where you would hit.
Laser training cartridges are excellent training devices for quick target acquisition practice. Even a long straw inserted down the muzzle that stays in place helps develop good pointing skills on small handguns by increasing the perceived "sight radius". You would be amazed how fast you begin to develop good "pointing skills"

·
Registered
273 Posts
No, they need to train more. No one gets a free ride. You have to be diligent with your training. Drawing, Point and shoot skills etc. Frequent moderate training sessions. Shooting any gun once a month is not acceptable, especially a Pocket gun. And if you have owned a LCP more than two years and it has not broken down, then you are not training.
Training as much, and as often as one can, as was posted, is the key. Be it with a .22, or a centerfire CC firearm, your point and shoot has gotta be second nature. I get out back to my range as often as I can:

I don't trust paint on a front sight, instead, I've found these inserts to afford quicker acquisition, and are more lasting:

And if I'm outnumbered, I'll enlist my little friend:

Reactions: rclark28
1 - 20 of 23 Posts