Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lets have a little fun and have a discussion concerning open vs. conceal carry, and why you prefer one or the other. Ok, for me living in Illinois where this is no carry, the only time I get to carry is when im in Indiana. Luckily, I only live a half block from state line, so i spend a great deal of time in Indiana. I only conceal carry there, not really sure by the way the law is written if I can legally open carry in Indiana or with the new law that just past in Michigan if I can legally open carry there, some say yes, some say no. Regardless, I personally dont think I would open carry anyway, dont want to bring anymore attention to me than need be. Maybe if I was in a more rural area I would consider.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
As a life time Indiana resident. I am very sure you can open carry with a personal protection. I would advise against it, Sure a way to draw unwanted attention.

I always felt that if a BG knew you were carrying or could see you were carrying, and he had bad intentions the eliminate of suprise was now his to make the first move. Mighrt just be me.

I owned a gun shop for 40 years and it always made me nervouse when people came in with visible carry and I am sure if one walked in any busiess with open carry, it would do the same to people around.

In Indiana is u are 18 and older and have no felony record, YOU are entitled to a ccw permit, To me doesn'tmean you are fit to have a loaded gun on u though. Again IMHO. I was armed robbed twice in my 40 years of gun business, I never carried in the open, not sure if the BG's that robbed me seen my gun on my hip that I would even be here telling this story..

I am in Illinois alot on my harley and I have always carried and as u know Illegially, but I won't be a victim.

·
Registered
487 Posts
RobR369 said:
I only conceal carry there, not really sure by the way the law is written if I can legally open carry in Indiana or with the new law that just past in Michigan if I can legally open carry there, some say yes, some say no. Regardless, I personally dont think I would open carry anyway, dont want to bring anymore attention to me than need be. Maybe if I was in a more rural area I would consider.
What new law is that? Something concerning non-residents?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't advertise in any way that I might be carrying. No stickers on my car, no signs at my house and no idea I'm carrying. In a SD situation I want as much of the element of surprise working for me. That way I can set up and execute the appropriate plan (flight or fight) without much notice.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DesertPunisher425 said:
RobR369 said:
I only conceal carry there, not really sure by the way the law is written if I can legally open carry in Indiana or with the new law that just past in Michigan if I can legally open carry there, some say yes, some say no. Regardless, I personally dont think I would open carry anyway, dont want to bring anymore attention to me than need be. Maybe if I was in a more rural area I would consider.
What new law is that? Something concerning non-residents?
MCL 28.422 effective 1/6/09 . I believe this is the code. I got the info off of opencarry.org, the michigan section.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's a subsection on the Michigan Firearms Act 327 of 1927; I couldn't find exactly what the changes were (mostly because I really didn't want to re-read then entire section... which is fairly sizable), but from what I gather you're referring to open carry now being explicitly authorized, non-residents included. Where as in the past there has simply been no law forbidding it.

Interestingly enough, last year they changed the law on CCW to permit persons to carry a pistol loaned to them. This crashed head-long with the requirement of the same act, subsection 28.429 for a safety inspection of any pistol that comes into your possession. There was no time frame given for the inspection. But on the 7th of this month, that section was repealed. Which means getting a pistol in Michigan just got a bit easier! Before, you'd go "apply" for your license to purchase (I say "apply" because I wouldn't call it applying; you just fill out some info, pass a 10 question test, pass a quick background check and out the door you go)... you go buy your pistol, then you would have to return to the LE office with your filled out license to purchase, ID, and the pistol. They would then give you a safety inspection card... which was ironic, because I'd never had an inspection conducted; they just verified the serial number, caliber, make and model were correct on the paperwork and sent you on your way with a little green inspection card. A hassle that was obviously unnecessary (as they repealed the requirement). So now you can mail in your license or sales record (CCW eliminates the license to purchase); saves me making a rather ridiculous and unneeded trip (I guess it would be one thing if they had a gunsmith qualified person to do an actual safety inspection to make sure you weren't sold something that's going to blow up in your face... but if not, why waste the time and money?).

Anyhow... adding my thoughts: As I stated elsewhere, open carry in an urban location isn't the best idea. I don't like attention (unless it's from the women... and even then, I get attention I often would rather not have!).

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only place I open carry is on our ten acres if I'm wondering around in the woods. If I am out and about with the public it's concealed. Some say that if you carry in the open you are less likely to be a victim, I agree if the other person has no gun, but someone who has a gun may think there best chance is to elimenate the guy they can see is armed. If it were me the guy with the gun on display would be the first target. John

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Wildcat said:
I carry concealed everywhere I legally can with a CCW, that's why I wanted an LCP; anything else is just too big and heavy for all day carry.
I EDC the LCP as a BUG. I EDC an M&P 45fs plus 14-round spare mag as well. Not too big or too heavy for me to carry on very long days. 8)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have decided to carry concealed only. However, I got made at a recent party and the old lady who saw my LCP just about s#!+ herself...I would have thought an older lady would be less afraid of a firearm. Oh well...no one said a thing to me(maybe because I had a gun??) :-\ ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
nickj said:
I have decided to carry concealed only. However, I got made at a recent party and the old lady who saw my LCP just about s#!+ herself...I would have thought an older lady would be less afraid of a firearm. Oh well...no one said a thing to me(maybe because I had a gun??) :-\ ???
I conceal a full size 45 when I can and an LCP or a Seecamp when I can't. I have been carrying daily for 40 years and have never been "made". If someone sees your gun, you have been careless or you wanted them to see it. Either way, you were irresponsible. Sorry. That's just he way it is.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Indiana handgun laws do not distinguish between open or conceal carry. Indiana does honor carry permits from other states, but if Illinois does not issue permits I'm not sure you can carry in Indiana legally.

There really is no upside to open carry, but plenty of upside to concealed carry:

• Open carry WILL have LEO's talking to you eventually
    Open carry can invite a false accusation of "brandishing" from an anti-gun nut
    Open carry can and will bring unwanted focus on you when you want it the least
    Conceal carry allows you to gain the element of surprise on the bad guys
    Conceal carry gives you the same feeling of protection that open carry does

·
Registered
17 Posts
gglass said:
Indiana handgun laws do not distinguish between open or conceal carry. Indiana does honor carry permits from other states, but if Illinois does not issue permits I'm not sure you can carry in Indiana legally.

There really is no upside to open carry, but plenty of upside to concealed carry:

• Open carry WILL have LEO's talking to you eventually
    Open carry can invite a false accusation of "brandishing" from an anti-gun nut
    Open carry can and will bring unwanted focus on you when you want it the least
    Conceal carry allows you to gain the element of surprise on the bad guys
    Conceal carry gives you the same feeling of protection that open carry does
Personally, I do not open carry, but I wanted to invite you to read this article that has opened my eyes to the benefits of open carry. I just think there's another side to the argument and I don't think you can flat out say "There really is no upside to open carry".

Check it out: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/12053.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
In Missouri you can open carry in most cities, but I do not. The town I live in has a no open carry ordinance. I think open carry is a chance that I'm not willing to take. I don't want to be stopped by the police or have anything jeopardize my having a CCW.

·
Registered
935 Posts
95% of my carry here in MT is Open... either a Carbine on my sholder/in a scabbard, or a revolver on my hip. When we're in the backcountry I carry all the time, and my wife carries much of the time. Montana is a VERY Open Carry State, and NO CWP is needed to CCW if you are outside town. I have OC'd in a large city, but depending on where you are it can be "awkward" and a proproetor has the right to ask you to leave. Now that I have Elsie, I will (perhaps) carry more often in town, and when I do carry (in town) it will NOT be open.

Now when we're in Florida the only way I can carry is concealed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe that open carry in many places is basically an act of arrogance that would be inviting a challenge. In Montana, probably not, but here in Michigan open carry may be technically OK, but my first sentence still applies. I definitely agree with the idea that getting a "legal" concealed carry permit and keeping it that way is the best route. The very best attitude is to be discrete and carry concealed with the intention of protecting your own life as well as those around you when a threat is eminent. Being a humble prepared citizen is the best way to think about concealed carry - as humbling as that may be! Open carry is too much of an invitation to many problems and unnecessary confrontations. Carry your LCP concealed, with pride and great responsibility.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like most of us do not live in open carry friendly states. I do not think our society is ready for open carry in most areas. In my area, and prob in most urban settings (I am guessing here), it is better to conceal because:

other nervous people are not alarmed by our legal carry
BGs do not know we carry and cannot use that against us
LEOs are not comfortable with civilians and open carry

my 2 cents

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my "local" area I open carry fairly regularly, (G27 or LCP) basically because I have worked for a local PD for over 20 years (as a civilian employee) and it is a fairly small town type area. Most of the local citizens and the LEO's in the agencies around my area know me. It is also not totally uncommon for people (business owners and everyday citizens) to open carry in my area so most people don't get too freaked out.

Usually the people that call the PD to complain about "someone with a gun" are visiting from States that have much stricter firearms/carry laws and they're not used to seeing people with guns. Thay are shocked to learn that it is totally legal to walk around town either open or concealed carry (with a proper permit). :eek:

I sometimes use a "Safepacker" to carry concealed in plain sight and it has never been questioned or even noticed to be honest. I think my wheelchair actually helps as it adds another layer of concealment across my sides and back. It also always sets of the security devices in businesses so I just throw up my hands and blame the alarm on my chair usually totally without question from staff/security.

I travel alot for my 2nd job and when I venture outside my "home turf" I only carry concealed, even when open carry is legal. Again I think the chairs helps with my concealment.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.