Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! If anyone here is located in North Dakota, I'd like to chat.

I've been interested in relocating and need info.

Thanks, Ritchie

·
Registered
262 Posts
Any particular reason why you chose ND over AZ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't really chosen yet.

That's why I need info.

R ;D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just curious...........ND is a pretty state in certain parts but I believe in my comparison of the two, AZ would win!..........SD is nice too!

·
Registered
201 Posts
picketeer said:
Just curious...........ND is a pretty state in certain parts but I believe in my comparison of the two, AZ would win!..........SD is nice too!

Nice and flat with a woman behind every tree and can you say, "COLD"?

You may want to find a copy of the National Geographic magazine. They did an article on ND a couple of months ago. They didn't paint a pretty picture.

I retired from the Air Force rather than be sent to Grand Forks AFB when my tour in Japan was up. I am not working/living anywhere that I have to plug my car into a engine block heater anytime I park for any length of time during the winter.

Read THIS and do a Google for more information. Just a note, the population has been declining for the lack of skilled jobs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I enjoy driving through North Dakota on my annual pilgrimidge to Red Wing, Minnesota because I have friends living in Beach, ND. A very nice place to visit. I once had to travel to a Minuteman silo in Minot during the winter and decided right then that I would never go back....can you say 40 below....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ritchie said:
Ok, so opinions only? No actual information?

R
What are you trying to find out? Do a Goggle, there's tons of information....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hunting and fishing are the most popular activities

It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter

My wife was born in North Dakota...............she is not interested in moving back :) :) :) ;D ;D

but we have been known to visit

·
Registered
263 Posts
You have the North right but North Carolina is a better choice, I moved here from south of Buffalo, NY. 5yrs ago. No regrets. Good weather, good hunting, and fishing. Only need a drivers lic. to buy pistols, easy to get CC permit. John

·
Registered
705 Posts
AZ Outlaws said:
picketeer said:

Nice and flat with a woman behind every tree and can you say, "COLD"?

You may want to find a copy of the National Geographic magazine. They did an article on ND a couple of months ago. They didn't paint a pretty picture.

I retired from the Air Force rather than be sent to Grand Forks AFB when my tour in Japan was up. I am not working/living anywhere that I have to plug my car into a engine block heater anytime I park for any length of time during the winter.

Read THIS and do a Google for more information. Just a note, the population has been declining for the lack of skilled jobs.
I was USAF in Yokota,Japan..F-102 Radar/weapons control.. and Fussamachi LOL

·
Registered
201 Posts
OT:

Mokanracer... Yeap, know it well, spent some time ('70 ~ '76) quick turning the C-141's and C-5's going in-country and on thier return trips going home (the air evac flight's were the toughest to work with the litter patients on board, really made me glad I was were I was and not where they had been). I tossed back my share of Kirins/Sapporos downtown now and then, and of course the occasional 'combat jug' of Akadama when money was tight. ;D

I retired from Kadena in 1990 rather than going to Grand Forks. By then I was a flightline maintenance supervisor on the E-3A/B AWACS there.

kraigster414... been there too, but twenty years before you. ;)

It sure is a small world.... now back to regular programing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
AZ Outlaws said:
Ritchie said:
Ok, so opinions only? No actual information?

R
What are you trying to find out? Do a Goggle, there's tons of information....
Yes, I am aware that there is a ton of information on Google. However, reading statistics and chatting with someone having first hand experience are completely different things. I've been reading information on the internet, in libraries, and even that horrendous National Geographic article you mentioned for well over a year now. But, I want first hand experience. Someone who is living there, or has lived there for a good many years before.

R

·
Registered
6 Posts
yankee2500 said:
You have the North right but North Carolina is a better choice, I moved here from south of Buffalo, NY. 5yrs ago. No regrets. Good weather, good hunting, and fishing. Only need a drivers lic. to buy pistols, easy to get CC permit. John
No thanks..... I have no desire to move to the South.

R

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ritchie said:
Yes, I am aware that there is a ton of information on Google. However, reading statistics and chatting with someone having first hand experience are completely different things. I've been reading information on the internet, in libraries, and even that horrendous National Geographic article you mentioned for well over a year now. But, I want first hand experience. Someone who is living there, or has lived there for a good many years before.

R
I wasn't trying to be funny, but I think you've got a good start on what ND is like by the answers your getting here. ND has a few interesting places, but the weather is brutal and overall the state doesn't offer all that much. Now if you're a farmer, love the great wide open plains, hot summers and very cold winters... go for it.

If reading up on it doesn't do it for you, take a trip up there in the middle of the winter and see for yourself. And, as I said, population is declining because of the lack of good jobs. What kind of work are you looking for, if I may ask? Oh, and what was so 'horrendous' about the National Geographic article?

Here's a quick OVERVIEW worth reading. If it sounds like your kind of place go for it. But, be warned... ya gotta love that Knoephla soup and lutefisk (lye-treated fish).

Just an added note... during my career in the Air Force, Grand Forks AFB and Minot AFB, along with a few other 'Northern Tier' bases were the least favorite assignments and dreaded by most people. Few people volunteered to go there and those bases were manned mostly by people returning from overseas tours.

In my wildest dreams, I can't imagine giving up Prescott, AZ for anywhere in ND, but that's just me. Good luck wherever you move to....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts