Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. Looks like a very friendly crowd.

I bought 2 LCPs a couple months ago, one for me, one for my wife. She already had a Bauer .25 from a previous marriage, but I regarded it as under-powered, and more importantly, unreliable. So we go to try them out and she can't handle the recoil. Any similar experiences? Corrective measures?

Hope to prove my "Non-spammer" status soon and join the general community. :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hello Everyone. Looks like a very friendly crowd.

I bought 2 LCPs a couple months ago, one for me, one for my wife. She already had a Bauer .25 from a previous marriage, but I regarded it as under-powered, and more importantly, unreliable. So we go to try them out and she can't handle the recoil. Any similar experiences? Corrective measures?

Hope to prove my "Non-spammer" status soon and join the general community. :)
Ruger came out with a LC380 for people that can't handle the recoil of the .380 LCP. A friend of mine got one and she really loves it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Ruger Ron and RogueLCP. Don't know how I missed the LC380 in my internet wanderings. It sounds like a good solution. I had been thinking along the lines of the Taurus 22pt, but no one has or can find 22lr ammo, leaving out the discussion of stopping power. .25 acp is in the same boat.

All the extra safety features don't seem warranted, given the DAO and long (hard) trigger pull. But seems like you should be able to get to "point and shoot" condition for the extreme event.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome! Glad you joined us. The good news -- now you can go purchase the LC380 :encouragement:

Enjoy your time with us

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Welcome from Indiana.

Common issue. Pretty snappy recoil. If she plans to carry it in a purse I don't think she has to go as small as an LCP and that will help on recoil. If she wants to stick with LCP, look into some of the various grip wraps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio! Have you read about the Hogue Hybrid grip sleeve yet? It has been said here that it really helps with the felt recoil of the LCP. I have not tried one yet but plan to in the near future. The LC380 might be another option with a bigger platform which helps to suck in the recoil.

You mentioned the Taurus PT22, which is a nice little pistol (though the newer model PLY-22 has been said to be more reliable than the older and still current model PT-22), but if you felt her old .25 auto was under powered the 22lr won't be much better - though any gun is better than no gun. I have a Beretta 21A which is what the PT-22 and PLY-22 are modeled after. I like the 21A very much, it is a very easy shooter, is quite accurate for it's little size (2.5" barrel), and the recoil is none to speak of. However, it is pretty ammunition picky, but with the right ammo (they seem to like CCI very much) could work well if nothing else would.

Lastly, there is the Kel Tec P-32 (I know, shame on me for mentioning another maker on the LCP forums) which would fall right in between the LCP and the little .22lr Taurus and Beretta. It is about the same size as the LCP and is an easy shooter. Mine has been reliable as others have noted as well. The .32 acp/auto cartridge costs a bit more but not too bad and can be found for good prices at times. Just some information for you. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I think if my wife was struggling with the LCP and I made a change, I would look into .22 mags or a bigger .380. JMO.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Welcome from north Colorado
The LCP is small and cute, no fun to shoot.
I can see why the popularity of the new LC380 is taking off.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Welcome from Missouri. Glad to have you with us.

I agree with RugerRon and others, sounds like the LC380 may be the solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from central Ohio! Have you read about the Hogue Hybrid grip sleeve yet? It has been said here that it really helps with the felt recoil of the LCP. I have not tried one yet but plan to in the near future. The LC380 might be another option with a bigger platform which helps to suck in the recoil.

You mentioned the Taurus PT22, which is a nice little pistol (though the newer model PLY-22 has been said to be more reliable than the older and still current model PT-22), but if you felt her old .25 auto was under powered the 22lr won't be much better - though any gun is better than no gun. I have a Beretta 21A which is what the PT-22 and PLY-22 are modeled after. I like the 21A very much, it is a very easy shooter, is quite accurate for it's little size (2.5" barrel), and the recoil is none to speak of. However, it is pretty ammunition picky, but with the right ammo (they seem to like CCI very much) could work well if nothing else would.

Lastly, there is the Kel Tec P-32 (I know, shame on me for mentioning another maker on the LCP forums) which would fall right in between the LCP and the little .22lr Taurus and Beretta. It is about the same size as the LCP and is an easy shooter. Mine has been reliable as others have noted as well. The .32 acp/auto cartridge costs a bit more but not too bad and can be found for good prices at times. Just some information for you. Again, welcome!
Thanks for your generous comments. And to all the other commenters, too.

You have given me some valuable options to pursue.

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western Pa.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Enjoy the forum....................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts