Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having shot all my life, have begun carrying for self defense. Living in shorts and tee shirt half the time the LCP is THE perfect size and weight for pocket pistols. I will never understand why all the other gun makers have nothing quite as light and small as the LCP, and they all cost a whole lot more. The .380 round is problematic, but with Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 90 gr moving at advertised speed of 1,100 I think the penetration problem is solved, and the x-nose design appears effective.

·
Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Orlando Florida.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana! Good to have you!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.
Reference size and price, don't forget, the LCP seems to have been copied from the Kel Tec P-3AT.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Having shot all my life, have begun carrying for self defense. Living in shorts and tee shirt half the time the LCP is THE perfect size and weight for pocket pistols. I will never understand why all the other gun makers have nothing quite as light and small as the LCP, and they all cost a whole lot more. The .380 round is problematic, but with Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 90 gr moving at advertised speed of 1,100 I think the penetration problem is solved, and the x-nose design appears effective.
Do NOT use that ammo in an LCP. It is definitely loaded hotter than "standard" 90gr. loads for the .380 ACP cartridge and could very easily cause the pistol to come apart as it is being shot especially if a lot of it was shot in the pistol.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Do NOT use that ammo in an LCP. It is definitely loaded hotter than "standard" 90gr. loads for the .380 ACP cartridge and could very easily cause the pistol to come apart as it is being shot especially if a lot of it was shot in the pistol.
Where have all the LCPs gone,
That fired hot ammo,
Long time ago,
Shot to pieces every one.
When will they ever learn,
When will they ever learn.

(Sung to the tune of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone")

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Reverting back Bruce, are we ?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pete Seeger wrote the original version of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone" with additional verses by Joe Hickerson. The Kingston Trio popularized it followed by Peter, Paul and Mary. It became an anthem of the anti-Vietnam War movement. By the way, I've heard tell that the Kingston Trio sold more albums than any other group in history. I don't know if that's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I've heard tell that the Kingston Trio sold more albums than any other group in history. I don't know if that's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
Did you play with them ?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Nope, but I listened to them a lot. Their list of hits is as long as my arm. They won a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010 and their first hit, "Tom Dooley", is listed as a Library of Congress Historically Significant Recording. There could easily have been others.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome from up in the Panhandle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK - there are other copper x designs from Lehigh and Underwood. Otherwise, what I see online rate hollow points in .380 lacking in penetration power overall, and are even worse if they hit clothing, or any other barrier.

The only other design that gets the best penetration is ball, and that lacks the wound channel size to be as effective as more powerful calibers. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
FMJ and make the shot count .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK Skip what do you recommend?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts