Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this gun after seeing the great reviews, but it's been nothing but trouble for me. I've cleaned it before using it, both times I've gone shooting, using a brush and Hopps M-Pro 7 cleaner. Shooting between 1 and 200 rounds of mixed Remington Gold JHP and Winchester copper jacketed. I am getting FTFs 1-2/10 rounds I put through, getting progressively worse the more I shoot, until I'm barely breaking 50%. The rounds are jamming up against the feed ramp. On one of the photos, you can see the dirty vs clean strip. This is my first rimfire, and only my second gun, so maybe I'm doing something stupid. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-=LeadIsTasty

sr22.jpg sr22-2.jpg sr22-3.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a few FTE with my SR22 after running around 400 rounds through it. The pistol does seem to collect a good bit of crud when firing, cleaning it every couple hundred rounds helps but the best cure was to fire CCI Minimag through it. Seems when it gets a bit of dirt or carbon in it the slightly stronger kick of the CCI makes it feed a little better. It is odd though, I had no problems with other brands of ammo for the first 300+ rounds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Be sure you aren't pulling the magazine button all the way down and dropping the rounds in. Just pull it down far enough to feed additional rounds and release it for tension against the follower between rounds. The ammo doesn't always stack properly if they're just dropped in which can lead to feeding problems.

I'm guessing that you've read all the posts regarding the loose barrel screw and take down lever so keep an eye on them as well. I've had mine since March and haven't had any problems at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Be sure you aren't pulling the magazine button all the way down and dropping the rounds in. Just pull it down far enough to feed additional rounds and release it for tension against the follower between rounds. The ammo doesn't always stack properly if they're just dropped in which can lead to feeding problems.

I'm guessing that you've read all the posts regarding the loose barrel screw and take down lever so keep an eye on them as well. I've had mine since March and haven't had any problems at all. Good luck.
Good advice. I had to break a range buddy of the habit of not loading single rounds and flexing the spring for tension on the follower. Actually he asked the quesion after he'd had a few mess up and bought the explaination. .22LRs are pickky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I don't load from the top, ... though something interesting about the mags, I have to give them a good wallop to get them to lock in. Never had to do that w/ any other gun. It's like the tolerances of this particular thing are just off a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks, I do try and pull down for just 1 round. And I did not see anything about the barrel or td. Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled the thing apart and stuff seems solid. I got some wax covered rounds by mistake and I'm not sure if I even want to try them in this guy. But like I said in the other post, I think tolerances might be off in this particular one given the fact that the mag does not lock in w/o being smacked.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Before you give up on this gun, give Ruger CS a call and see if they have a better take on this. They may want to see it back home to figure it out. They're the ones who will ultimately repair it for you.

Has anybody else fired it and have they had any problems like you've experienced?

In the mean time, maybe someone else here may have a clue as to what the problem may be.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
be sure the barrel is NOT loose! This is a big issue for many new owners. It has been discussed on this forum and others. A very simple fix. There is a screw under the trigger guard. simply unscrew it. Take off the barrel, clean out and use some blue loctight. Hope this solves your problem.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quit using Rem Goldens, They FTFeed and FTFire in my 10/22, my PT-22 and my 22A,%10 to %15 of the time. That's 1-2 per mag.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I use federal bulk ammo. Make sure it is 36, or 40 grain, or you WILL have problem with not enough blow-back to recycle a new round in.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've got probably 1,000 rounds through my SR22 and just today started have failed to feed issues. Probably shot 100 round through it today, was really there to work on my technique with the LCP, but can't resist runing a few through the SR22. Anyway, I had a number of FTF using Federal Champion, the same ammo I've been having good luck with up until now. I guess I'll field strip, clean, lube, and inspect it ( I'll pay close attention to the barrel screw and make sure it's still tight). Next time out if I have issues with it I'll pay more attention to the magizines and see if it's happening more with one or the other. I love this gun and I' sure I'll get past this little hiccup.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Good idea clean it up and see what you have. I started using the Remington 22 LR 36 gr Golden Bullet Plated HP with good success. The "New Improved" ones. I am going to stick with them I think. I get them at Walmart and at a good price. $9.95 for 225 rounds I believe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure if my problem could be the same as yours. I have a ruger 10/22 Mark II. This is a target pistol. I would get jams ( they would bend in about half and not go anywhere. Probably 5 out of 50 rounds. Didn't matter which magazine I was using. Hubby says he can't figure out what is going on, the gun is A ok. I am cleaning it while he is talking to me and then I begin to reload the magazines. He yells NO NO NO do not pull that side on the magazine all the way down and drop them in. You load the ammo one at a time. They might not fire right the way you are doing it. I stopped loading that way and all my jams have gone away.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Good idea clean it up and see what you have. I started using the Remington 22 LR 36 gr Golden Bullet Plated HP with good success. The "New Improved" ones. I am going to stick with them I think. I get them at Walmart and at a good price. $9.95 for 225 rounds I believe.
I saw the box there, but I didn't read the price sticker. I'm still ticked about the past Goldens performance or lack of.I'll check out a box next time I go to WallyWorld

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Sometimes the simplest fix is the best. Inspection and maintenance is part of a good cleaning. Still look to the ammo. Mine ran well with Federal for hundreds of rounds... until it didn't anymore. Cleaning didn't reveal anything, but a good dose of mini mags had it running perfectly again. I'm not finding any of my semi auto .22's to be happy with bulk ammo for any stretches of time.

My wife, who has more patience than I have, has alternated loading bulk with mini mags with great success.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've got probably 1,000 rounds through my SR22 and just today started have failed to feed issues. Probably shot 100 round through it today, was really there to work on my technique with the LCP, but can't resist runing a few through the SR22. Anyway, I had a number of FTF using Federal Champion, the same ammo I've been having good luck with up until now. I guess I'll field strip, clean, lube, and inspect it ( I'll pay close attention to the barrel screw and make sure it's still tight). Next time out if I have issues with it I'll pay more attention to the magizines and see if it's happening more with one or the other. I love this gun and I' sure I'll get past this little hiccup.
Cleaned her up and made it back to the range today. Probably put 100 rounds, give or take, through it with just one failed to feed. Huge improvement. I hadn't really noticed it before and I've shot a lot of Federal Champion 22lr, but this stuff seems pretty dirty. Maybe they've made a change in it. Anyone else notice it getting more dirty?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
What happened to leadistasty? Did he get his 22 working well? Did he fall of the earth....or just the forum?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts