Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum but there is some great stuff on here. So here's my problem and I hope someone can help me out.

I have recently bought a brand new SR22 for plinking and for the wife to use. Looks and feels great! First time out, we had a lot of rounds getting stuck in the bore (not ejecting). I had to pick them out with a knife, they were really stuck! This happened maybe 3 times from one 10 round mag. Then we kept running into the issue of the next fresh round not chambering properly, seems like its getting stuck halfway up the ramp. I thought it was just due to a new gun needing some round run through it. Since I've bought it I've ran about 1000 round through it of all kinds. I've shot Federal (junk), Remington, a few Winchester, and CCI Mini Mags. This jamming and failure to eject issue is on going and has not gotten any better. The only ammo that i have NO problems with are the CCI.

I removed the barrel and polished up the feed ramp and make sure every time i shoot the gun is spotless clean and fully oiled using only Hoppes gun oil. I use the same discipline with my SCCY CPX-2 9mm and that shoots GREAT! Does anyone else have this problem? Is this a defect in the barrel/feed ramp assembly and should I contact Ruger about it? I bought this SR22 over a Sig Mosquito because Rugers' are supposed to "eat anything". This is awful! It's very frustrating! :sour:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Polishing the ramp on an SR22 pistol doesn't make much difference.

If you place an empty mag in the pistol with the slide locked back, you'll see that it is almost a straight shot to the chamber. I doubt that the bullet even touches the ramp.

I'm guessing you have a pistol that is still fairly tight and that alot of the bulk ammo is underpowered. It may not kick the slide back like the CCI.

I've not found that my SR22 needs to be lubed much at all.

Another thing to check is to be sure that your recoil spring is correctly snapped onto the lip on the head of the recoil rod. Some have had FT load when that wasn't seated correctly.

Reactions: cloud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All bulk ammo I shoot is 40 grain. The CCI are 36 grain but have a waxy coating on them and I have no issues. I can see when it jams that the nose of the bullet is stuck on the ramp and there are a fair amount of witness marks on the ramp. I have installed an upgraded captured recoil spring assembly from Galloway Precision. I've tried swapping in the OEM spring and nothing changes. Not sure what to make of this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The shape of the bullet can make a huge difference, some ammo will chamber well and dome won't. That is the nature of the .22LR which was designed to be a rifle bullet originally. Revolvers never had the problem but when .22 pistols started being more the norm, this became the problem since the round wasn't originally designed to be used in a pistol.

A lot of .22 pistols are finicky about ammo, even different pistols of the same make and model perform differently. The thing to do is to find what the gun likes and buy that all the time. Nearly every .22LR pistol likes CCI ammo. It's hot stuff and the bullets are all easy to chamber shapes. The curve of the bullet may not seem any different to the naked eye but it doesn't take much to change the way the bullet chambers. The noses can seem rounded to your eye but have a flatter actual nose in the pistol causing poor chambering as well. SHAPE has more of an effect on feeding than weight, the number of grains, the bullet has for sure.

With 22's being a buy what you can situation these days, and with so many folks buying all the CCI products preferentially, it may be hard to always find them to use. I wish you well but it isn't something to fix if you have already done the basics like polishing the feed ramp and chamber. Stronger springs are also not always a good answer since slamming the action shut hard makes the bullet shape even more crucial. Sometimes a lighter spring may work but again, it makes the action close a bit slower and gives the ammo time to stovepipe when it strikes the feed ramp. Changing the angle of your feed ramp will definitely help make more ammo types work but is something only a gunsmith should do for you, not something to do on you own.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would suggest that you give Ruger CS a call. That many failures to eject, and failures to chamber are definitely not normal for an SR22.
I've only put about 600-700 rounds through my SR22 (would do a lot more if darn 22LR wasn't so hard to come by...), but I've shot CCI Mini-Mags, CCI Blazer, Remington, Federal, Aguila, Winchester, Armscor, - Round Nose, Hollow points, etc. - even the subsonic stuff with very few issues. Maybe 2 or 3 stovepipes. I don't think I've ever experienced a failure to eject with the SR22.....

Ruger Customer Service: 928-541-8892

·
Registered
532 Posts
A round should freely drop into and out of the chamber. I'd check that first. If not, then there is an ammo or chamber problem. Your chamber might be out of spec but more likely just dirty. Give it a good brass brush cleaning until nothing is left on the chamber. Look at the chamber with a strong light to make sure there are no machining problems. Failure to cycle is one thing.....having to pry spent cases out of the chamber is another. Something is clearly wrong if you have to do that three rounds out of a 10 round mag. There is also a sizable group of SR22 owners at RimFireCentral. You might browse around there and see if anyone has had similar issues resolved. If the simple stuff can't solve your issue it will be time to contact Ruger and ask for help. It will be beneficial for you to have a good deal of experience in what you have assessed with no luck. That will tell them they definitely need to call the pistol home for a tune up. Make sure your barrel is on tight too. M1911

Oh yeah, it doesn't sound like you are having a feeding/chambering issue at all. Just extraction. A poorly machined or dirty chamber can cause that. You bought the right pistol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. Y'all gave a ton of feedback and things for me to check over. Thanks for all the great info!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I donno I had similar problem but looking at the box of CCI ammo I noticed large globs of wax lube covering ammo. Once I made sure rounds were clean of these globs never had the problem again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problems with not chambering the second round. I sent my gun back to Ruger who test fired 40 rounds and sent it back as fixed. I continued to have the same problem and read on another forum to try the brass stacker recoil guide assembly. I put it in and have not had a problem since. I also tried many different types of ammo which did not help. I can't post the url since I'm new. I would highly recommend giving it a try. Best $25 I spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Can you email me the link where you found that? [SIZE=3] MODERATED[/SIZE]: No personal emails Please PM instead!

·
Registered
36 Posts
bought one of my grandsons an SR22 for Christmas. first time out recently was pretty good. some feed issues probably due to him being 9 years old and not locking his wrist. when I shot the pistol there were zero issues. the pistol is very accurate even in the hands of a boy (with a huge smile on his face). we only had a brick of rem thunderbolts with us, will try some other manufacturers next outing. all in all I was impressed, with the pistol and more importantly my grandsons fundamental desire for safety, and ability to learn and take instruction. probably went thou around 250 for round count, and It also seemed that it was time to clean the little pistol. I am guessing it was dirty about then as the malfunctions for the boy increased. probably had all together four misfeeds. I have ordered captive recoil set from Galloway Precision as of today. that will give us an excuse to shoot again soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you're having to "pry" the empty out of the chamber, I would say call Ruger CS. In my experience Ruger has fantastic Customer Service.

Your problem sounds to me like an "out of spec." chamber issue.

Good luck, Stay Safe :victorious:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Agreeing with ccw90, the Galloway recoil spring solved the feed problem on my SR22. Mine would not feed the second American Eagle round although it had no problems with several other brands. It seems lame that a $24 accessory is needed to use ammunition by a major manufacturer. If Ruger used an arrangement like the Galloway rod and spring the up charge would be a lot less costly and likely reduce the few complaints on this nice pistol.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
My SR22 is at Prescott right now for the same thing. With a call to Ruger, I was issued a shipping label as soon I mentioned prying empties out with my fingernail. The CS words were: "I want to see this one right away."

I'd say that's a good place to start.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info. I'm calling them first thing Monday. I just used the same ammo in a friends new SR22 without fail. So it's going back ASAP.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I sent mine in Tuesday. I just got the email saying it was being shipped back on the 25th. That's pretty awesome CS.
I'm not discounting an aftermarket fix in the near future, but it'll be good to know it's up to spec.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
You also might want to send some spent casings that you had to pry from the barrel for Ruger to look at. I feel lucky that I have not had any issues and I was shooting Thunderbolts and American Eagle. Good to know about the rod and spring replacements. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Saltair, you are wise. I sent 5 casings in with mine, Federals, Blazers but no Mini-Mags. Haven't seen those in a while.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts