Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/15/sig-sauer-p238-380-1911/

The Shot Show revealed SIGs new .380 mousegun, and it's generally getting good reviews. Unlike the LCP it's a SA and roughly the same size as the old Colt Mustang. I've read SIG recently bought Colt's old Mustang production facilities, I guess this is why.

From the press release:

SIG SAUER, Inc., the leading manufacturer of commercial, law enforcement, and military
firearms, proudly introduces the P238, in .380 ACP; specifically designed as a concealed carry or backup
handgun for legally armed citizens or law enforcement professionals.

Reacting to many requests from the marketplace for a subcompact SIG SAUER pistol, engineers designed the new P238 as a smart looking, small handgun built with the same accuracy and reliability as large frame SIG SAUER pistols.

With an overall length of just 5.5 inches a height of 3.96 inches, and weighing just under a pound, the SIG SAUER P238 is the ultimate firepower in an all metal frame concealed pistol. The P238 is built on an anodized alloy beavertail style frame with fluted aluminum grips for comfort and a secure hold during rapid-fire usage. The stainless steel slide features the popular SIG SAUER slide serrations and improves overall performance and accuracy.

Additionally, the contrast or SIGLITE® Night Sights are removable and adjustable for windage. The sear and trigger return spring are redesigned to prevent spring over-ride of the ejector during assembly.

Two finishes are available; Two- tone and corrosion resistant Nitron®. The new SIG SAUER P238 is shipped in a lockable hard case with one 6 round magazine at an MSRP starting at $515.00 for the Nitron® with contrasting sights.


I always kicked myself for not buying a Mustang new, I had at one time a Llama .380 SA which was sloppy and poorly finsihed, but it shot great and was a fun little gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
other than those butt ugly sig grips, it should be a nice addition to thier line. Can't knock the 1911 look ever, Not sure it would be my choice for a 380 due to size and weight but for sig, this is small small and it looks like they took the easy way out of doing it to, They either copied the old colt version or bought the rights to it.. Maybe a set of colt grips would make it truly what it is..????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
I kind of like the grips...

Anyway, it's a good looking little sub-compact. I think the weight might be a discouraging factor though when there are much lighter .380's on the market. I'd look into maybe getting one. Depends on feel/weight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
I like the looks of it! It sort of has a military look to it. Can't wait to get a look at one. I don't currently own any Sig's. :-[
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
DesertPunisher425 said:
I kind of like the grips...

Anyway, it's a good looking little sub-compact. I think the weight might be a discouraging factor though when there are much lighter .380's on the market. I'd look into maybe getting one. Depends on feel/weight
plus single action also. not sure I would want this gun in category #1 and being in my front pocket. FWIW IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
Jocko, what is the difference in size and weight between the Kahr PM9 and the P238? If they are similar, to me, the Kahr is the way to go. 9mm vs. .380? No brainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
kraigster414 said:
Jocko, what is the difference in size and weight between the Kahr PM9 and the P238? If they are similar, to me, the Kahr is the way to go. 9mm vs. .380? No brainer.
sig says one pound for the P238, and it is bigger than the PM9, not by much but bigger, 2 ounces heavier and yes indeed 380 vs 9mm, no contest. I like the colt mustang looks, whats not to like about the looks of a 1911 but a singele action in a 380, just not my cup of tea, would make a nice range gun or home gun but I can't see carrying a SA pocket rocket. Maybe just me. compare that sig 380 at one pound to the taurus 380 at 8.5 ounces. tell me what you will carry if u had to..

and I ain't knocking sigs either. This for them is their first entry into the small compact world and it looks to me like they took the easy road into it by copying the Colt mustang.

I guess to me it makes me wonder how in the hell kahr could come out with a stainless version striker fired 9mm that weight 14 ounces. or for that matter their P380 in stainless and striker fired at 9.9 ounces..

Course you know me kraigster, I am alittle prejudice towards karhs but one has to give cred it where credit is due.

I think the taurus 9mm in 17 ounce version will be a sure seller. It looks good. Its only competition IMO is kahrs line and we all know kahrs are not low priced guns. Haven't a clue as to what the titanium 9mm in the taurus will cost, but they claim a $100 more for a titanium slide in the TCP 380, so at least that much if not more for the taurus 9mm titanium. Also not sure if either one is striker fired or hammer fired.. Not sure if they have dovetails sites on the 9mm either, no top phots yet, this would add to the overall production price also. They say the TCP 380 has practically no sites. I guess you can say my lcp has sites or bumps on top of the slide for reference points.

all in all I think Taurus has two possable hits here, price will not be as low as the lcp or the kt's but will be close in the standard steel version and I do like that extended 2 round magazine for the 380. I sure loved it on my kt 32, which on that little pea shooter actually gave me 11 rounds. Just think a possable 9 round 380 that will still fit in ur pocket. or better yet your back up magazine being an 8 rounder...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
I wouldn't disregard the new SIG just yet. SIG is pretty well known for developing their line of firearms; this P238 may just be the first stop on a road to a 9mm or even .40 on the same basic platform. SIG also likes to offer loads of trigger options (DA/SA, DAO, DAK, SA), and generally speaking, most of their pistols can be had in any trigger option you want. I'd look for further developments in the design within the next year or two.

This pistol could turn into a real contender with some more development. Time will tell...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
DesertPunisher425 said:
I wouldn't disregard the new SIG just yet. SIG is pretty well known for developing their line of firearms; this P238 may just be the first stop on a road to a 9mm or even .40 on the same basic platform. SIG also likes to offer loads of trigger options (DA/SA, DAO, DAK, SA), and generally speaking, most of their pistols can be had in any trigger option you want. I'd look for further developments in the design within the next year or two.

This pistol could turn into a real contender with some more development. Time will tell...
u mioght be right, but I doubt if you willsee anychanges to this colt mustang. Just my opinion..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
As I sit here, my Colt Pocketlite Mustang is laid on top of my PM9. With the beavertail the colt is about an eighth of an inch longer and the same height. The Colt slide is .75 in wide and the PM9 is .893 of an inch wide. Weight fully loaded is about the same with the Colt weighing just a bit less. For carry I prefer the LCP or PM9 to the Colt since I carry the Colt fully loaded with the hammer at half cock and safety on. That requires two steps in preparing to fire for the Colt that you don't have to worry about with the LCP or PM9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Maybe folks will ease up on Ruger for copying Kel-Tec P-3AT design, now that an industry leader like Sig Sauer has copied the Colt Pony... Probably not.

I can't even begin to enumerate all the design copying that goes on in the firearms industry. Yet, Ruger seems to take more than its fair share of the public's ire for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
It's hard to even try to list all the makers that copied the 1911, and people are ok with their DWs and Para's and a dozen more and not as much crying foul as there was about Rugers upgrade of the P3AT. John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
camper said:
As I sit here, my Colt Pocketlite Mustang is laid on top of my PM9. With the beavertail the colt is about an eighth of an inch longer and the same height. The Colt slide is .75 in wide and the PM9 is .893 of an inch wide. Weight fully loaded is about the same with the Colt weighing just a bit less. For carry I prefer the LCP or PM9 to the Colt since I carry the Colt fully loaded with the hammer at half cock and safety on. That requires two steps in preparing to fire for the Colt that you don't have to worry about with the LCP or PM9.
Just curious but how much bigger is your PM9 than the LCP? I had a Colt Mustang once and I remember it being a pretty small gun, although a bit heavy. If the PM9 is as small as the Mustang then it must be small gun for a 9MM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
some specs for colt pocketlite.

15 ounces. 6.1 inches long, width 1" shooots 380

Kahr PM9 14 ounces, 5.3 inches long .90 width, shoots 9mm


apples and oranges.

Same thing withthe lcp, It is smaller, , shorter, liter and DAO, nice gun.

again, comparing it to a PM9 9mm aplles and oranges.

Not sure yet what the sig 380 (colt) will come in at in all of the above. I just do not think much of carry a cocked and locked semi in my front pocket. IWB or OWB, is a different story. To many 9mm out there close or smaller even in size ...

I thought when sig came out with the mdel 250 it was going to be small. Wrong again...Theya re not in the smallhandgun league as some are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
argyle said:
mpd563 said:
Just curious but how much bigger is your PM9 than the LCP? I had a Colt Mustang once and I remember it being a pretty small gun, although a bit heavy. If the PM9 is as small as the Mustang then it must be small gun for a 9MM.
Holy smokes! That thing is almost as small as the LCP! And its a 9MM! :eek: I might just have to get one of those! How do you like it? Is it dependable and reliable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
mpd563 said:
How do you like it? Is it dependable and reliable?
I haven't had the chance to shoot it a lot, but so far I have only had 1 problem of any kind - one light primer strike out of a couple of hundred rounds, WWB. If I'd known about this gun before I bought the LCP, I would have never bought the LCP. I liked it so much that I went back to the shop and got a Kahr CW45, which I also like a great deal.

Jocko's the guy who sold me on the PM9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
argyle said:
mpd563 said:
How do you like it? Is it dependable and reliable?
I haven't had the chance to shoot it a lot, but so far I have only had 1 problem of any kind - one light primer strike out of a couple of hundred rounds, WWB. If I'd known about this gun before I bought the LCP, I would have never bought the LCP. I liked it so much that I went back to the shop and got a Kahr CW45, which I also like a great deal.

Jocko's the guy who sold me on the PM9.
Interesting. I too bought a new PM9 a few weeks back, and it was based on the very positive results jocko has talked about with his gun. Right out of the box, first trip to the range, I had several lite strikes out of 100 rounds of WWB. I was more than a little concerned but a good cleaning and then directing some pressurized cleaner through the breach end of the firing pin Chanel, and then a ramp & chamber buff along with some lubrication seems to have eliminated the problem. I ran 200 rounds last weekend (Remington & WWB), and another 100 rounds this week on a lunch break, not any issues at all. I did another good clean and lubed with metal conditioner and plan to get back to the range in the next week to finish breaking it in. The best part, in a Desantis Nemesis (front pocket), it does not feel much different than the LCP, and you get 7 rounds of Corbon DPX 9MM. Thank You jocko - You the Man!
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top