1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
ragu1macrider said:
LCR

It ain't no CHEAPIE
neither is a Smith #340 ;D

The lcr will sell, It is a Ruger and they certainly know revolvers. it is IMO their first real entry into the pocket revolver world. Not the gun that I think I would want over my Smith J frames but still at $600 and under, it will be a very good seller.

One thing about the lcr, not sure anyone can claim they COPIED anybody this time. looks like innovation all the way around. kudos to ruger, even if you don't like it..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've seen some dealers hinting on other boards the price will be around $400 give or take, roughly about the same as a S&W 442 no IL.

Now the only real question is if Elsie Pea will be expanded to include Elsie Are? :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought my LCP early. I am going to sit back and see what happens to this one, looks like alot of parts for just one handgun. rubiks cube comes to my mind right now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's definately the most innovative design I've seen come along in revolvers since I started fooling with guns. I'm not particulary crazy about its looks but it is definately a modern design. Most modern day revolvers are just "souped-up" designs originating from the 1900 era. Maybe it will grow on me the more I look at it and the more I read (hopefully good stuff) about it. The price kinda suprises me though. I would have thought with Rugers use of castings and polymers it would have been well under the price of a Smith & Wesson "J" frame. :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
testman said:
I BELIEVE THAT THE RUGER LCR STANDS FOR "LIGHT CARRY REPUBLICAN";BECAUSE ONLY THE RICH WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT. :)
I'm confused. So your saying I will be able to afford the LCR because I'm rich... Or a Republican?

I guess I've never understood where we poor republicans fit in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I read everything I could find about this new gun last night and I just can't seem to get real excited about it. First, it's only 1.5 oz. lighter than the smith airweight. I would have thought that using a polymer and milling all that steel off the cylinder it would have been less. Second, I'm not real comfortable with all the pieces, seems to me the more parts the more chance for something to get loose. That aluminum to polymer frame connection point just looks like a problem waiting to happen. The only major advantage I see is the trigger is supposed to be much better than anything else out there. An extra $267 for the crimson trace seems a little steep also ($525 w/o, $792 w). Anyway, I will be anxiously awaiting the reports from those that get them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In reply. Watching the newly elected democrats get ready to spend 875 billion tax dollars will in my estimation make most democrats wealthier than any republican that earned their monies the old fashion way by hard work and sweat.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
habanero said:
I read everything I could find about this new gun last night and I just can't seem to get real excited about it. First, it's only 1.5 oz. lighter than the smith airweight. I would have thought that using a polymer and milling all that steel off the cylinder it would have been less. Second, I'm not real comfortable with all the pieces, seems to me the more parts the more chance for something to get loose. That aluminum to polymer frame connection point just looks like a problem waiting to happen. The only major advantage I see is the trigger is supposed to be much better than anything else out there. An extra $267 for the crimson trace seems a little steep also ($525 w/o, $792 w). Anyway, I will be anxiously awaiting the reports from those that get them.
what Smith airweight are u comparing the lcr to. The Smith #340 weight 12 ounces, that is 1.5 ounces lighter and no polymer. The trigger is Rugers hype, that remains to be seen to. Still 11# pull, and any J frame owner can certainly smooth up his trigger with little or no effort. Not knocking the lcr, for it is certainly different but they are going up against the king of pocket revolvers the J frame.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jocko said:
habanero said:
what Smith airweight are u comparing the lcr to. The Smith #340 weight 12 ounces, that is 1.5 ounces lighter and no polymer. The trigger is Rugers hype, that remains to be seen to. Still 11# pull, and any J frame owner can certainly smooth up his trigger with little or no effort. Not knocking the lcr, for it is certainly different but they are going up against the king of pocket revolvers the J frame.
I got that weight from here http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm it was the 642. The design ruger has is definitely something new but nowadays "new" does not necessarily equate to "better" and most times it just means "cheaper to produce". I agree they have a fight on their hands trying to go up against the j frame.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
no problem, just wasn't sure what Smith J frame you were referring. to. Probalby for comparison purposes should have listed Smith's lightest J frame compared to the new ruger lcr.

\

no harm no foul.

I would question our moderatros to consider the lcr as another gun to be added to the elsie forum, for it is new, it will be bought by many, why not be the first forum to issue it a welcome, and by that I do not mean just a lcr thread.

Maybe: elsie peaforum.com/lcr forum

·
Registered
200 Posts
jocko said:
no problem, just wasn't sure what Smith J frame you were referring. to. Probalby for comparison purposes should have listed Smith's lightest J frame compared to the new ruger lcr.

\

no harm no foul.

I would question our moderatros to consider the lcr as another gun to be added to the elsie forum, for it is new, it will be bought by many, why not be the first forum to issue it a welcome, and by that I do not mean just a lcr thread.

Well, comparing the lcr to the 640 goes one step farther to strengthening my opinion. Why buy the "new" lcr design at 13.5 oz. when you can have an "old" 640 j frame design at 12 oz. that has been proven reliable for many years. The lcp filled the need for a more reliable keltec, I seriously doubt the lcr will be earn the reputation as more reliable than the j frame. That said, the considerable price difference will probably sell a lot of these guns. If, after a couple of years, my fear of that frame connection proves unwarranted I may buy one myself. I kind of like the look of it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
habanero said:
jocko said:

\

no harm no foul.

Well, comparing the lcr to the 640 goes one step farther to strengthening my opinion. Why buy the "new" lcr design at 13.5 oz. when you can have an "old" 640 j frame design at 12 oz. that has been proven reliable for many years. The lcp filled the need for a more reliable keltec, I seriously doubt the lcr will be earn the reputation as more reliable than the j frame. That said, the considerable price difference will probably sell a lot of these guns. If, after a couple of years, my fear of that frame connection proves unwarranted I may buy one myself. I kind of like the look of it.
Are you certain about your figures? I can't believe an all steel 357 (640) is 1 and 1/2 ounces lighter than an aluminum and polymer frame gun.

·
Registered
200 Posts
[/quote]

[/quote]
Are you certain about your figures? I can't believe an all steel 357 (640) is 1 and 1/2 ounces lighter than an aluminum and polymer frame gun.
[/quote]

The 340 scandium at 12oz. is the one Jocko was referring to in the post above.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this one I'm afraid. I give kudo's to Ruger for innovation, but having owned many many other .38 snubbies over the last 30 years this one just doesn't "do it" for me. If they want it to sell they better price it between Taurus and S & W. Some folks may want to jump on the newest stuf to hit the market but I'll take decades of proven performance of style and innovation every time.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Ruger makes good revolvers, they alwyas have, That being said Smith makes GREAT revolvers. No sure there is a revolver out there than can compete with the J frame. The Ruger will sell , for it will be a good gun, I am not sure Ruger thinks they can steal the J frame market either, maybe just want a peace of the pie..

13.5 ounces is very lite indeed..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had several SP-101's and they are a very nice revolver if one want's a .357 snubby that can take a pounding. If Ruger had made the SP out of aluminum in .38spcl. I'd be all over it, perhaps even over a S & W Bodyguard (easier action to tume for me). So close yet so far.....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have always been fond of Smith J frames, sold um for 40 years, can't remember anyone ever having issues with one.

My little Model 60 fully engraved bears the date 1974. At that time the hottest selling handgun on the market, just that Smith could not make them fast enough, going price back then (are u ready) was $160....

The LCR will sell, its a Ruger, they have the distribution outlets already in place. The gun is priced right to sell also and quite possable the desing and looks of it, once in your hands will tend to grow on you.
That being said, I can't see it replacing my PM9 which is still smaller, holds two more rounds and one half ounce heavier and nite sites,,,, and I tend to shoot it better than any of my J frames.

Course if ur a wheel man, then it willbe a gotta have it gun!!

My bet we will see different calibers in that lcr very soon... Like the 327 federal, that could be a darn nice hot defense round..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.