·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger MAX-9

·
Registered
35 Posts
That looks like it wants to be a replacement for the LC9s. Maybe a replacement with some model bloat. It gets the cosmetic overhaul from the LCPII and Security9. The length and height are the same as the LC9s. And it picks up a hybrid double stack magazine for increased capacity, moving it to the edge of the category of the Security9 Compact.
Interesting that they added the removable panel for mounting a reflex sight. Going after the Hellcat market.

Who was it that pioneered the hybrid double stack magazine? It's fatter on the bottom with a double row, then narrows to a single stack in the middle. This allows a narrower grip between the thumb and index finger.
They have the magazine pictured on the Ruger website in the accessories section.

It looks like something that would have been great to introduce about four years ago. Today, we are looking at a possible limit to 10 rounds, and making the added capacity less of a selling point.

I am finding that the LC9s with the pinky extension is about my limit for conceal-ability. The wider grip on the Max is going to be a issue for me. And the styling overhaul gets rid of the rounded edges.
Well, that's going to be my rationalization for not running out and buying another new firearm...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The MAX-9™ is my next handgun. Whether you're new to firearms ownership, or you've been an enthusiast for years, the versatile MAX-9™ is sure to meet your personal protection needs. Comfortable enough to conceal in an inside the waistband holster or pocket holster, this micro-sized pistol has it all - without compromising on capacity or features. Rugged, reliable, affordable - the Ruger® MAX-9™. at the $499.00 MSRP this pistol could very well put the Sig P365 9mm out of business because of its Past Problems & High Price . Lookout Springfield Armory Hell Cat OSP 9mm this new Ruger Micro Compact could very well give you a run for your money . I want one of these new USA owned & Made Ruger MAX 9 9mm Pistols to Match my Ruger LCP II .380 & LCP II .22 LR Pistols

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buy Best Coloured Eye Contact Lenses Online In India Contact Lens - Order daily, monthly & six months disposals colored eye contact lens online in India. Check price and buy online. Free shipping, cash on delivery, best offers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like it also but I like the LC9 also so carry the Ruger Max 9 as EDC & the Ruger LC9 as a backup ! but what I like the Most of all is 100% MADE IN THE USA & AMERICAN OWNED ! 🇺🇸

Reactions: rclark28

·
Registered
169 Posts
That looks like it wants to be a replacement for the LC9s. Maybe a replacement with some model bloat. It gets the cosmetic overhaul from the LCPII and Security9. The length and height are the same as the LC9s. And it picks up a hybrid double stack magazine for increased capacity, moving it to the edge of the category of the Security9 Compact.
Interesting that they added the removable panel for mounting a reflex sight. Going after the Hellcat market.

Who was it that pioneered the hybrid double stack magazine? It's fatter on the bottom with a double row, then narrows to a single stack in the middle. This allows a narrower grip between the thumb and index finger.
They have the magazine pictured on the Ruger website in the accessories section.

It looks like something that would have been great to introduce about four years ago. Today, we are looking at a possible limit to 10 rounds, and making the added capacity less of a selling point.

I am finding that the LC9s with the pinky extension is about my limit for conceal-ability. The wider grip on the Max is going to be a issue for me. And the styling overhaul gets rid of the rounded edges.
Well, that's going to be my rationalization for not running out and buying another new firearm...
I don't think so LC9s & Security 9s are sold out as fast as they hit the shelf . If it has no problems it will put the SIGP356 in it's grave and give the Hell Cat a run for its money as the MAX -9 is 100% American made USA #1 .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't think so LC9s & Security 9s are sold out as fast as they hit the shelf . If it has no problems it will put the SIGP356 in it's grave and give the Hell Cat a run for its money as the MAX -9 is 100% American made USA #1 .
This looks like sort of a crossroads where thinning models meets introducing new models.
The EC9s is really the remaining compact 9mm in the line. They announced the LC9s was discontinued at the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. So when I decided I needed one in the summer, the prices had pushed up $100 over suggested retail, and there were "a few new ones remaining". Later last year, they cranked up the suggested retail on the website, which seemed like a strange thing to do for a discontinued model. And there are still "a few new ones remaining". I'm not sure if they put it back into production, or stacked the final run so high and deep that they will be selling 2019 models into the distant future.

As a model, the EC9s/LC9s are pretty much the last remaining firearms following the styling introduced with the P345. Slim, single stack, and that classically styled, curved sliver sculpted into the grip from the base of the trigger guard arcing toward the rear corner at the bottom of the grip. That is to accommodate the fingers as they wrap around the grip, and definitely a reaction to the criticisms of the P85-P97, that you had to have a hand like a gorilla to hold one comfortably. That styling is getting dated, or at least they have decided to change it, because they have changed the styling of most of the rest of the line, to the upside down Y on the grip, with the high grip stippling.
They revised the original LC9 trigger and released a new name model, the LC9s, without any cosmetic change (The . The LC9s was always compared to the S&W Shield. Ruger introduced the EC9s, and it appeared to be what they were concentrating on for the lower featured, lower priced segment of the market.

Meanwhile, the other companies continued working at the larger capacity, red dot compatible, higher end, that is the opposite of the EC9s. The SigP356 and Hellcat.
And Ruger introduces the Max 9. They put a double stack frame under a LC9s slide. Updated the styling to match that upside down Y with the high grip stippling. And overhauled the slide to accept a red dot.
The reviews talk about the grip not being noticeably wider. I scaled out the magazine width from a photo. The double stack part should be very close to .75 inches side. For reference, the Lc9s grip measures .75 inches wide at the Ruger emblems. Some of the contours for the fingers are a little narrower than that point. The grip on the Max 9 does not appear to have any sculpting to fit the hand. It's back to what they complained about with the P-Series. Like a squared off piece of wood with rounded corners. Kind of like the experience of holding a 2x4. Notice no reviews comparing the LC9s side by side to the Max 9. Just comments that "from what I remember, it does not feel wider".

It's a model update that got out of hand. It's close enough to a third generation LC9 to be an outright replacement.
It's far enough removed from the LC9s to be a new stand alone model.
It overlaps the Security9 Compact enough to take away sales.

Does a 10 round compact 9mm with optics mount become a separate class to stand alone?
Does the 7 round economy model get replaced by a 10 round stripped down version of the Max 9 without the optics mount and fiber optic tritium sights?
Or does a 10 round high end pistol coexist with a economy 7 round, and a mid range 7 round?

If they can sell enough of all three or four to make for a good argument not to thin the number of models, it's a pretty enviable position to be in.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Notice though, that it does have a "removable plate" in the top of the slide for a red-dot, if that's a part of the new owners plan.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This looks like sort of a crossroads where thinning models meets introducing new models.
The EC9s is really the remaining compact 9mm in the line. They announced the LC9s was discontinued at the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. So when I decided I needed one in the summer, the prices had pushed up $100 over suggested retail, and there were "a few new ones remaining". Later last year, they cranked up the suggested retail on the website, which seemed like a strange thing to do for a discontinued model. And there are still "a few new ones remaining". I'm not sure if they put it back into production, or stacked the final run so high and deep that they will be selling 2019 models into the distant future.
As of this very day, March 20, 2021 the LC9s is still on Ruger's web-site. The LC9 Pro is not and that's the version having been discontinued for "specific reasons" and no longer on their site offering Ruger pistols.

If/when Ruger has a price increase, that usually happens in the first couple of months during the new calendar year. Nothing sinister about that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the new Ruger MAX-9 will be a big hit in the Micro Compact 9mm line of firearms on the market today . I think the Ruger Max-9 will rank among the best of the micro compacts.

Reactions: miniman

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, looks like the predictions were completely spot-on! The Ruger LC9s went up in smoke. Sure happy that I got mine when I did and, as always, stock up on spare parts. Too bad it's gone, and replaced by a newer version that holds only one round more. Mine's a keeper:

·
Registered
466 Posts
My Ruger EC9s is still a keeper. I am very happy with my EC9s. Now that we have this new option I may indeed get the Ruger Max 9. Better sights, more capacity...looks promising.
*They have been testing one at our club and it has taken a beating and it running well. Seems to be some interest in this one with several members buying and shooting them. I will attempt to wade through the reports and decide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts