Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTICE

Anyone that has or will be purchasing the new LC9s, the new current guide rod has a conical front, as opposed to a flat front guide rod that was initially shipped in the LC9s. Ruger has re-engineered the guide rod, as they had issues with the guide rod not centering properly and not allowing the slide to go fully back into battery and hanging up. So if you have the old style guide rod assembly, you can call Ruger and advise them that you are experiencing slide hangs up and sometimes the slide does not go fully back into battery. Ruger will send you out the new guide rod assembly. I have linked a poor quality photo of the shape of the new conical guide rod, that is now standard for all new manufactured LC9s models. The old style is flat not conical.

Bob

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can attest first hand to the above information. I called Ruger-Prescott AZ this morning regarding my new lc9s. They were extremely helpful and shipped out a replacement "conical" guide rod/spring to me today. FYI - Ruger also informed me that they are revising the installation instructions for the guide rod/spring when reassembling the unit into the weapon's slide. The forward end of the spring should be placed in the slide with the cut end of the spring facing toward the ground when the gun is viewed in the normal firing position. Hope I explained that right. I assume that these new instruction will accompany the new guide rod/spring which I expect to receive later this week. I will post these new instructions if they are included.

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
Can you post some pics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my LC9s on the 18th. Took the gun home, racked the slide a few times and discovered it had the recoil spring assembly issue. Called Ruger and they emailed me a prepaid FedEx shipping label. Rep said the gun will be back within 5-7 days. Great customer service. The label was in my mailbox before I got off the phone! Shipped her to the mothership today. Anxious to get her back so I can check out that sweet trigger at the range.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure why Ruger would have you go to the trouble of having the owner of a newly purchased LC9s return the firearm to Prescott if the only issue is to install the conical tipped recoil guide rod. I picked up my new LC9s this past Sat. I took it home and took the new gun down to inspect, clean and lightly lubricate - just what I would do with any new firearm. I noticed upon reassembly and racking that it has a tendacy to not completely return to battery. On Sunday I took it to the range and fired about 100 rounds. The weapon continued to exhibit problems related to the guide rod allignment. Monday morning I called Ruger - Prescott. They listened to my concerns and said they would check to confirm if the new conical tipped quide rod/spring assembly was available and call me right back. Withing one hour they called to advise me the replacement part would ship out that day. Later Monday morning they emailed me the tracking number. Today at 11am the replacement guide rod/spring arrived. It is now installed in my new gun and I will be off to the range first thing tomorrow morning to test. I promise to provide a range report tomorrow afternoon. Ruger Customer Service is OUTSTANDING!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
View attachment 5350

New recoil spring rod.
What? Did they stick a golf tee in it or what is that deal?

LOL, here's Hickok 45 singing the praise of the new LC9s and showing the issue around the 15:30 mark. He has no function issue as yet and says it'll shoot out or be sent back for repair.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My limited experience (100 rounds fired during ken range trip) tells me that you won't solve the guide rod allignment issue by "shooting it out". If anything I suspect it would get worse. What appears to be happening is that the quide rod is "moving" laterally while the gun is cycling. This allows the hub of the front section if the guide rod to move relative to the front spring washer. When/if the front of the guide rod becomes out of allignment with the guide rod hole in the front of the slide the weapon will fail to return to battery or can fully lockup. Keep in mind - I am no gunsmith - this is my simple explanation. The new design guide rod has a conical design. Yes - it closely resembles a golf tee. Due to the conical shape it automatically self aligns. Hopefully this solves the problem. As I understand it the current production lc9s weapons now have this new design guide rod. Mine was an early production model. I installed the new guide rod today and I am off to the range in the morning. More to follow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is the range report after installing the new guide rod supplied by Ruger. Fired about 150 rounds - Federal Value Pack 115 gr - Speer Lawman 115 gr FMJ and Fed 147 gr HST Tactical. I can report that the gun functioned flawlessly - problem solved. This will be my new daily carry. FYI - my other currently owned options are a LCP and Glock 26. I plan to carry the lc9s in a De Santis Mini Scabbard belt holster. My carry ammo will be the Federal 147 HST. With the LCP or the Glock I did not carry with one in the chamber. With the lc9s I plan to carry 7+1 with the safety on - much easier to swipe the safety than to rack the weapon if I ever need to use it quickly. The other plus is you can do this one handed if you had to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, THANK YOU for this great news. Love the LC9s but was really bugged by this assembly. Tried to change my technique of 'reassembly' but wasn't consistent at all. Was given 'hope' by the Ruger tech. dept. and LOW AND BEHOLD HERE IT IS ! I've called in my request and they are sending the NEW AND IMPROVED version within 24 hr. Thank you, and thanks to Ruger support !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Question on the Fire Sights for the LC9s - did you install them yourself? Most of the reviews I have seen indicate that they are difficult/impossible for the nin-gunsmith to install. Just curious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
New recoil guide rod assembly for the new lc9s

I put a set of firesights on my lc9 about a year ago. Never worked on a gun in my life and never owned one till 2 yrs ago. Being mechanically minded it was an inanimate object that i figured i could tackle.
I perused youtube for some insight. Bought a brass punch and a short dowel rod,and a plastic/rubber hammer. My front sight was not pinned like the newer ones. I put the new sights in the freezer(old mechanic trick for changing wheel bearings) while i removed the old sights. Removed the slide and carefully mounted in a padded vice. Put a hair drier on the slide to heat up and expand and the front site just pushed right out. Rear sight i had to tap w a brass punch.Careful as there is a spring and plunger under the sight and will go flying if you just knock the sight off quickly.
Cleaned the sight channels and heated up slide w hair drier then took cold new sights and installed. Front sight just pushed in and when both slide and sight became same temp i gave it a drop of blue locktight. The rear sight took a slight bit of tapping into place. No locktite as there is a set screw. I took a vernier caliper and measured side to side to make sure sights were centered on the slide the tightened down and let slide return to room temp on its own.
Sights are accurate and never moved after 800 rounds.
I couldve had them installed by a local gunsmith for $25.00 but he was 2 weeks behind and im impatient :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409100006.774191.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409100022.507589.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409100045.673331.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you Falconbobb for the excellent DIY post on installing the fire sights. Very educational. How much do these sights improve the lc9?

·
Registered
159 Posts
New recoil guide rod assembly for the new lc9s

Well i cant see clearly till about 3 ft away and dont wear glasses except to read...so for me the sights were very helpfull for quick site picture. I mainly point shoot since that gun is not a tack driver outside self defense distances.
I also installed a saints arms trigger bar kit which shortened the travel and reduced the stacking effect of the lc9. I like it and has worked flawless for several hundred rounds.
The video does work despite what the tag says just hit play button.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have called Prescott twice to get the new conical rod assembly and twice they sent me the old style flat assembly. I explained it was newly designed and conical in shape.
Does anyone who received the new one have a part number to help avoid getting another flat one?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts