Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"new" pocket holster

I got a DeSantis Nemesis as a Christmas present, but have not been thrilled with it because it is pretty obvious that I have a small semi-auto in my left front pocket. Jeans are especially bad, and I wear them most of the time.

I cut two pieces, 5"h X 4.25"w, from a leftover piece of vinyl used to make a tonneau cover for an old El Camino I restored, put them back to back, my wife sewed them together and sewed four small strips of velcro to the edges of the Nemesis and the vinyl piece(s), and voila! looks like a wallet in my left front pocket now instead of a noticeable LCP outline.

No special tools, equipment, etc. needed. I imagine one could get a small leftover piece of vinyl from most any auto trim shop for next to nothing, if not nothing. That's where I got this. Any home sewing machine and about 30 minutes and you're done, and no more printing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Re: "new" pocket holster

Sounds to me like you are wearing your jeans alittle too tight. I use the same pocket holster and have absolutely no printing at all. Just looks like I have something in my pocket, but not a gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

RobR369 said:
Sounds to me like you are wearing your jeans alittle too tight. I use the same pocket holster and have absolutely no printing at all. Just looks like I have something in my pocket, but not a gun.
They weren't tight to begin with, just seem to have gotten that way over time. Must have shrunk in the dryer. Whatever the reason, my Nemesis doesn't print any more. Maybe I can be a standard bearer for all those others out there whose jeans have shrunk in the dryer, too. Certainly, I can't be the only one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have the DeSantis Super Fly for my lcp, and I believe it is basicly the Nemesis plus a rectangular piece (like cosgun made, I guess) velcroed on. I think I wear my jeans a bit loose, but it still looks like I'm packing. Of course, I'm looking for it, but it could bear improvement.

I suppose the rectangular piece just needs to be less plyable, so it doesn't shape itself to the gun over time. Thicker would do, I assume, like the leather ones for sale by the website sponsors, but maybe they'd print more over time as pocket pressure molded them more and more. I don't mean the true holster part -- around the gun -- but the ones with the extra covering meant to reduce printing.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Nice job!

I did something very similar. I used a stiff plastic cut the size of the gun but square. I just place that between the holster and the front side on the pocket. Has the same effect, and I don't think it needs to be attached to the holster.

The plastic I used was nothing more that a plastic file folder cut down.
;D ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

vsorrentino said:
Nice job!

I did something very similar. I used a stiff plastic cut the size of the gun but square. I just place that between the holster and the front side on the pocket. Has the same effect, and I don't think it needs to be attached to the holster.

The plastic I used was nothing more that a plastic file folder cut down.
;D ;D
Thanks.

That's a good idea about the piece of plastic. Hopefully, it won't, but if my present setup starts to print over time, I could add a piece of plastic file between the two layers of vinyl, sew it back up and be on my way.

·
Registered
150 Posts

This looks to be the best designed pocket holster so far. It has a flat rectangular area of leather that faces the outward side of the pocket, and has a hinge for the weapon retention area of the holster. When you reach into your pocket, the weapon comes out freely because of the hinge action. The best part of all is that you print nothing more than a rectangular area.

http://pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket_Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket_wallet_ho.html

·
Registered
75 Posts

gglass said:
This looks to be the best designed pocket holster so far. It has a flat rectangular area of leather that faces the outward side of the pocket, and has a hinge for the weapon retention area of the holster.
The "Guru' leather wallet holster has been around for a number of years. With the rear panel attached it's primarily for rear pocket Carry, as it's a bit to big & stiff to fit in a front pocket unless year wear very loose or cargo style pants. All the models that I use can be detached from the rear panel (converted) for front pocket Carry. There are several companies that make a very similar product, Guru, K&D, Hidden Holsters come to mind. All are very good quality and priced around $50. Personally I like rear pocket Carry, and in all the pants I wear, the holster drops down sufficiently deep so that nothing can be seen by a person walking behind you. It prints just exactly like a wallet. make sure you have a rear pocket with a square bottom, and loose enough so that the holster drops down about an inch below the top of the holster.

I kinda like that panel deal on the customized Nemesis that Cosgun did. I got a Nemesis a couple of weeks back, and it's fine for for pocket carry in most of my casual loose fitting pants, but in dress pants it prints "Gun" when seated. Perhaps that sew on panel would work. From pictures Ive seen the Superfly version sounds good but looks too be too thick. Any one having success with the Superfly in front pocket dress pants, without appearing to be overly "Happy"???

·
Registered
200 Posts

Must have shrunk in the dryer. Maybe I can be a standard bearer for all those others out there whose jeans have shrunk in the dryer, too. Certainly, I can't be the only one.
[/quote]
Yeh I've used that one before too, to which my wife replies- "well if you want to blame an appliance you better blame the refrigerator. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I would rather blame the dryer, that way it's not my fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts

N2LCP said:
The "Guru' leather wallet holster has been around for a number of years. With the rear panel attached it's primarily for rear pocket Carry, as it's a bit to big & stiff to fit in a front pocket unless year wear very loose or cargo style pants.
I have the Guru (http://www.pocketholsters.com/Ruger_LCP_380_Pocket_Wallet_Ho/ruger_lcp_380_pocket_wallet_ho.html) and it works great in my jeans front pockets (regular jeans - not cargo pants). I've always carried my wallet, etc. in front pocket anyway so no one notices anything. I wear jeans a bit loose but not overly so. I can't stand having any kind of lump in my back pocket, but I've tried this holster in my back pockets just to see what it is like and the top of the gun is visible (sometimes barely but it's there) on all pants I have (jeans, Dockers, etc.) You just have to try it and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Following up my post with a few photos in the front pocket. I would include a couple of how the gun shows in my pack pockets but the camera batteries died after I took these and I don't have any more batteries at the house ::) You can definitely tell there is something in my pocket, but IMO it doesn't look anything like a gun.

·
Registered
111 Posts

I will make a better video soon..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

yamadog35 are the pics in your front pocket with or without the removable flap?

·
Registered
20 Posts

CB said:
yamadog35 are the pics in your front pocket with or without the removable flap?
My pics were with the flap in place. That is why I bought it so I would have such a panel to make sure there would be no gun print. Here are a couple of pics outside of the pocket and a few that show the process of obtaining the gun from the holster. Note that my holster is still pretty new so its a bit stiff and the gun does not come out of the holster as easily as I would like. But as I continue to break it in, the draw is getting easier every day.

·
Registered
75 Posts

yamadog35 said:
My pics were with the flap in place. That is why I bought it so I would have such a panel to make sure there would be no gun print.
Nice post yamadog, and nice pictures as well. Like you, I have been very happy with my Guru holster, just does not work for me for front pocket Carry. Noticed in you jeans pics that the back pocket is a V bottom cut. For rear pocket carry, the wallet holster definitely works better in pants that have a deep flat bottom.
i have a custom holster made for my LCP that K&D did for me in the same type design made with a molded Kydex holster part, and leather flap panel. it's nice for warm weather to minimize moisture retention around the gun. if I can get pictures this weekend I will try to post them next week.

·
Registered
20 Posts

You're right N2LCP. It's just a matter of preference. If I did want to back pocket carry I would have to get all new jeans and work pants (usually Dockers). None of these pockets are deep enough for this rig and I do have some jeans with square cut pocket bottoms - just not deep enough. I would have to search out new pants that would accomodate this. But since I don't like anything in my back pockets, and this rig works well in my front pockets, I am good to go ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts

yama - Does the holster stay in the pocket when you draw the gun? I've been seeing designs that focus on keeping the holster in the pociket and my only concern with the Guru is it appears to be fairly easy to get in and out of pocket. Non-issue or something to consider?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.