Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new LCP to the range a few days ago. I loaded the clip with 6 rounds of round nose 380 Auto. The Ammo maker was Blazer Brass. (Gander mountain sell the ammo.) When I racked the slide it moved forward and little and hung up and would not load the first round. I pulled the slide back and ejected the round. The next round loaded a little further in the chamber but not all the way. I pushed on the slide and it loaded and I was able to fire it. The gun operated properly through the rest of the rounds in the clip. When I refilled the clip it hung up again on the first round. I was able to push the slide forward. Does this sound common to anyone else with a new gun? Do you think this gun just need to be broken in? I called Ruger today and they said to shoot another 100 rounds and let them know if I still have a problem. Any in put would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
windward said:
I took my new LCP to the range a few days ago. I loaded the clip with 6 rounds of round nose 380 Auto. The Ammo maker was Blazer Brass. (Gander mountain sell the ammo.) When I racked the slide it moved forward and little and hung up and would not load the first round. I pulled the slide back and ejected the round. The next round loaded a little further in the chamber but not all the way. I pushed on the slide and it loaded and I was able to fire it. The gun operated properly through the rest of the rounds in the clip. When I refilled the clip it hung up again on the first round. I was able to push the slide forward. Does this sound common to anyone else with a new gun? Do you think this gun just need to be broken in? I called Ruger today and they said to shoot another 100 rounds and let them know if I still have a problem. Any in put would be appreciated.
PM. sent, hope it helps..

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
mrengles said:
I have the same problem. "shoot a hundred more rounds" I can't even get through a box of 50 without the gun falling to feed almost every round. :mad:
check your feed ramp and chamber. sounds to me like it might be alittle ruff. you could send it back but I would try first to dremel polsih that feed ramp to a mirror finish and also inside the chamber. You ain't huring nothin and can still send it back if this doesnt'help. 600+ grit auto sand paper will do the same thing, just takes longer. no dremel, just go to wal mart and buy the dremel arbor and cotton swab and put it on ur drill..

Lube the rails up good also.

I am sure Ruger will make it right but I jsut feel if you will do alittle TLC to it, you might save about 5 or 6 weeks of it being back at Ruger when it could indeed be rding in your front pocket. Justmy 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Take it apart and clean the entire gun, chamber especially. Drop a little Rem-oil on the rails, cam lug, and on the extractor. Sounds like it possibly could a sticky extractor if not a dirty chamber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for your suggestions . I polished the different areas like you suggested I had some 1500 sand paper and it shined up everything real good. I also took the magazine apart and sanded and polished it and the rounds still hangs up. The rounds only move a little less then 1/4 of a inch out of the magazine. It seems the more full the mag is the more it hangs up. The hangs up problems seems a little smother then when I began but I still have to push slide forward load the round.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is the slide face where the firing pin hole comes through seem rough or anything? Sounds like the rear of the casing is dragging on the slide face. Or, like I said, possibly a sticky extractor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. At Jocho's suggestion, I tried locking back the slide and loading the magazine and then releasing the slide with the slide lock. When I do this the round loads properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
windward said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. At Jocho's suggestion, I tried locking back the slide and loading the magazine and then releasing the slide with the slide lock. When I do this the round loads properly.
Same here! The slide moves forward like its riding on hot snot. Thanks everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.