Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from the dealer that my LCP had arrived, been checked in, and was ready for pickup. perfect timing since i had an hour between meetings so i buzzed over to pick it up. oh what a sweet little thing, it feels great in the hand! for the details, it is a 371-x and came in the whitebox with one mag, a lock, and the soft bag, also the manual and the test round. i picked up a couple boxes of magtech 95g ammo to get started and i saw a little blackhawk pocket sleeve (size 3) for $12 so i decided to pick that up too, it works well in my front pocket, might get something with a bit less printing down the road but for now, this is fine. i field stripped it a few times to get used to the feel of it. looks darn small compared to my xd45 compact but seems to be "big" in it's own right.

i'll try to get out behind the barn tomorrow for the first firing, is there anything i need to do with it before hand? any prep, cleaning/oiling? is the ammo i got OK?

cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Snowninja,
Welcome to the forum from about 30 miles south of the city.
There are getting to be a bunch of us here from Washington State....

SK

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not ever shoot any of my guns, new or used without taking them a part and thoroughly cleaning them. Get rid of all the factory rust preventatives that don't lubricate the gun with some gun solvent, Q tips and patches, brush and swab the barrel, and then lightly oil all the mechanical slide parts. The LCP is really easy to clean and disassemble and reassemble as I'm sure you've noticed. :) It's as simple as a Glock at least...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello from Clarkston!

Now that they are drop proof.

I think I will be picking up a LCP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i took this little gem to the range today and put the first 100 rounds through it with no failures of any kind but the first shot of each of the first few mags felt like it was going to jump out of my hand (no pinky extension). i also noticed the trigger pull on the first round seemed very long but shortened on the subsequent rounds. was that just me? i tightened up my grip and soon was firing consecutive shots 6 at a time and having alot of fun. i shoot left handed but decided to go through a few mags using my right hand. figured it wouldn't hurt to get used to shooting it in either hand. also the first few mags were pretty tough on my hand but i got it down and figured out a way to hold it to minimize the bumping. i guess as others have said it's not really a range gun but if you are going to use it for protection one had better be familar with the way it shoots right?!?! all in all it was a good experience and will be taking it back for another 100 rounds in a couple weeks. great gun and aiming it is not that hard in a controlled environment but i suppose in a dire situation one would just point and shoot..

also thanks for the tips on the SD ammo, i'll be looking at some of that as soon..

·
Registered
90 Posts
It sounds like you got a good one right out of the box. I really like the CT laser and a Pachmayr grip goes good with the laser's button configuration. I know you said it feeds good but a good polishing of the feed ramp and chamber can't hurt anything and may make it feed a more variety of ammo. Anyway congrats on the purchase and have fun with her, I think their great little pocket guns. BTW I'm from Washington too, can almost smell the ocean from where I live. ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
As SK pointed out, several of us from Washington buy these little sweet peas. Just picked mine up on Friday, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. As noted, nice little pistol that is simple to disassemble and clean. What more could you ask for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello all. First post on this board. I just purchased my LCP earlier in the week. I haven't had to the range yet, but I can tell, it is going to be fun. I know its light and its going to have a real snappy disposition, but I'm still looking forward to it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
KCLCP said:
Hello all. First post on this board. I just purchased my LCP earlier in the week. I haven't had to the range yet, but I can tell, it is going to be fun. I know its light and its going to have a real snappy disposition, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Hold on tight...but not too tight. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
snowninja said:
i took this little gem to the range today and put the first 100 rounds through it with no failures of any kind but the first shot of each of the first few mags felt like it was going to jump out of my hand (no pinky extension). i also noticed the trigger pull on the first round seemed very long but shortened on the subsequent rounds. was that just me?
It's just you. The pull is the same everytime. What may be happening is your first shot you are placing your finger tip towards the top of the trigger, this is harder to pull. After recoil, the gun positions your finger tip closer to the end of the trigger which makes it easier to pull. Also you may be putting more finger on the trigger after the first shot makes you tighten up your grip. Get some snap caps and prcatice diefferent ways of pulling and placement without having to deal with recoil or aiming. Get some trigger time. It will get better. Learn how to satge it alos. If you are not sure what that means let me know and I will post a link to a video showing it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
snowninja said:
i took this little gem to the range today and put the first 100 rounds through it with no failures of any kind but the first shot of each of the first few mags felt like it was going to jump out of my hand (no pinky extension). i also noticed the trigger pull on the first round seemed very long but shortened on the subsequent rounds. was that just me? i tightened up my grip and soon was firing consecutive shots 6 at a time and having alot of fun.
I'm sure it was "just you" as you said because the LCP has a double action only trigger system which does not change from the first shot to the last. Now what you might be experiencing is this, on the first shot you probably are starting the shot with trigger completely foward without taking up the "slack" first and then after the shot is fired you only have to release the trigger far enough to feel / hear the sear / trigger reset for the next shot which shortens the pull from the first shot. The trigger does not have to be completely returned to the foward position or this reset to happen which shortens the pull for subsequent shots from the first.

As far as the recoil of the first shot I would guess that you are adjusting and tightening your grip after the first shot which might seem to make it recoil less on the next shots.

Also learning to shoot from ones weak hand is a GREAT idea. We were taught in the police academy that the chances of being hit in our strong arm or hand is a very real possiblity and your survival might just depend on your ability to return accurate fire with your weak hand. Also we were taught this, just because you get "hit" during a firefight your chances of surviving are very high! DO NOT get it in your head that if you are shot you will die because if you do, you probably will. Keep the mind set that just because you take one in the arm or torso you most likely are not gonna die so keep fighting and don't just give up. Yours and others survival mmight just depend on it!

I hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.