Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my LCP today.

One thing I have noticed is that if I want to carry this gun, I will need to change my style of dress.

I am fairly short at 5'6" with about a 28" inseam and a 34 waist. My jeans fit ok, but you can definately see the gun print or a large square (in the holster) with my jeans on. In the back pocket, the gun almost sticks out of the pocket.

I assume I will need start wearing some type of cargo pants and similar type of jeans when I start carrying. Anyone with similar issues?

I have no idea how you guys hide larger guns

·
Registered
211 Posts
JimS514 said:
The easier said than done answer is you have to dress around the gun. Some body types conceal guns better than others, you will just have to find what works for you. Maybe an IWB. Also the quality of the holster (and gun belt) have a lot to do with concealment. FWIW, if you have a gun in your pocket, its going to print some.

·
Registered
75 Posts
JimS514 said:
I assume I will need start wearing some type of cargo pants and similar type of jeans when I start carrying. Anyone with similar issues?
Jim,
I have been using a "Guru" wallet style leather holster, and rear pocket carry with good results for years. First with a keltec P3AT & for the past almost year with the LCP. It prints like a wallet, and is very comfortable in dress and casual pants. You just need to wear pants or jeans that have a flat bottom on the rear pockets (not hard to find), and I wear my pants just a little loose. I just purchased a Desantis Nemesis holster and i have been experimenting with front pocket carry in the past few days. i am reasonably happy with the front pocket carry, but it feels tighter and a bit less comfortable in dress pants. Make sure you do not have anything else in the pocket you carry (front or rear), ever!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
N2LCP said:
JimS514 said:
Jim,
I have been using a "Guru" wallet style leather holster, and rear pocket carry with good results for years. First with a keltec P3AT & for the past almost year with the LCP. It prints like a wallet, and is very comfortable in dress and casual pants. You just need to wear pants or jeans that have a flat bottom on the rear pockets (not hard to find), and I wear my pants just a little loose. I just purchased a Desantis Nemesis holster and i have been experimenting with front pocket carry in the past few days. i am reasonably happy with the front pocket carry, but it feels tighter and a bit less comfortable in dress pants. Make sure you do not have anything else in the pocket you carry (front or rear), ever!
I had a guru rear pocket holster, just finally had to give it up, for all the jeans that I wore the back of the gun could be seen very easily from behind. When I had my kt 380, a friend of mine even told me he could read the serial numbers sitting in my back. I was't going to go looking for jeans with a bigger back pocket. Guru's stuff is top notch,just in mycase the rear pocket holster sucked..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel your pain - 5'6", 34x30 Levis are just too tight in the front pockets to carry. Carpenters, Dockers with pleats, etc work a lot better. Still, it's a wallet in the front pocket, not invisible.

I'm trying a cheap IWB Python for colder days, and prefer it. Then, a sweater, vest, or fleece pullover is necessary, and the tighter jeans need another inch in the waist to be comfortable sitting. It really does boil down to wardrobe malfunctions being the problem.

It's a whole new world with CCW. The one thing nobody recommends is losing some weight, tho. . .

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
tirod said:
I feel your pain - 5'6", 34x30 Levis are just too tight in the front pockets to carry. Carpenters, Dockers with pleats, etc work a lot better. Still, it's a wallet in the front pocket, not invisible.

I'm trying a cheap IWB Python for colder days, and prefer it. Then, a sweater, vest, or fleece pullover is necessary, and the tighter jeans need another inch in the waist to be comfortable sitting. It really does boil down to wardrobe malfunctions being the problem.

It's a whole new world with CCW. The one thing nobody recommends is losing some weight, tho. . .
assuming one is looking right at your front pocket. Ask youself , how many people do you see that you are looking at their front pocket to see if they are carrying. MY guess is none, my guess is "heh I never thought of it that way" I think because we carry ( I do 100%) in the front pocket that every body is looking right there to see what is there, Just ain't so. I drink coffee with a couple state troopers who are friends of mine quite often and my kahr PM9 has always been in my front pocket of my jeans. I have never ever been questioned or even noticed that they were looking there either. We tend to worry to much IMO

·
Registered
200 Posts
JimS514 said:
Picked up my LCP today.

One thing I have noticed is that if I want to carry this gun, I will need to change my style of dress.

I am fairly short at 5'6" with about a 28" inseam and a 34 waist. My jeans fit ok, but you can definately see the gun print or a large square (in the holster) with my jeans on. In the back pocket, the gun almost sticks out of the pocket.

These will solve your problem: http://www.gemplers.com/product/133997/Carhartt-B172-Flannel-lined-Jeans-Darkstone
I'm small too and you can not tell I'm carrying. These are for cold-cool weather, get the unlined ones for summer. Might as well give your levi's away, you won't ever want to wear them again.

G

·
Well I'm just about the same size and while like others have said there will be a sort of lump in the front pocket it really does not draw attention that you have a CCW in general. I use a Desantis Nemisis and for front pocket really don't even use the extra shield as it makes it kind of thick. I do use the shield and my favorite carry is in the pocket of an A2 type flight jacket, mines actually an "Indy" jacket and I don't hardly know it's there. To the point, most of "us" are more aware/worried then those who might glance at our pants. While I find IWB very comfortable, myself I'm more concerned that the gun my "flash" than anyone would ever notice with pocket carry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm 6'0" and go about 200. I carried a Glock 23 in a ITWB holster for 2 years, before I got a Sig P239. I now carry that in the waistband with a Mitch Rosen holster. When the weather is cold and calls for a heavy coat, I carry my full size HK USP in my SigTac jacket.

Compared to all the above, carrying the LCP in my pocket is simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really enjoy the Crossbreed Mini-tuck, You have to wear a little looser pants but with a tucked in shirt nobody notices it. I have given classes at work, bent over to pick stuff up and nothing. It is adjustable for the depth inside the waistband. Mine gets better with time. I think anyone could benefit from this holster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Peice of a one gallon plastic milk jug cut out to the shape of my pocket to cover a LPC in a nemesis. Thinner than the SuperFlys gaurd peice and breaks up the outline completely. Less exspensive too. You definately look like you've got something in your pocket, but it looks like a wallet, PDA or something esle than your LPC.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I go for the "Cargo (pocket) Carry" (& I'm close to your build).
Summer time (& all the time we're in Florida) I wear shorts & (mostly) a t-shirt or Polo. Easy to find cargo shorts. I looks like a have a second wallet in my cargo pocket (or something that size). Dockers makes a line of pants called Iconic Cargo... VERY BIG cargo pocket. I had to custom make a holster (so that it wouldn't 'slosh' around) but the advantage is that the 'wider' holster also accommodates a Second Magazine. Again, yes, IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, you can guess that there is something there, but what?? Wife say's it looks like a journal or small notebook.
Good Luck in finding a solution.

p.s. here's a link to the thread where I posted a picture http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799.0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.