Ruger Pistol Forums banner

New Family Member!

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Tony Hudson 
#1 ·
With Three MkIVs and Two MkIIs, just had to have a Mk Standard! After a sweet deal with Dury's Gun Shop (San Antonio LGS), obtained a 1976 Bicentennial "200th Year of American Liberty" 4 3\4" Standard RST4, my first blued Ruger Mk rimfire! Pics looked good in their on line store, but the surprise was the 98% great condition of the finish. Realized that it had never been taken apart and cleaned in 43 years, but functioned just fine! After 2 hours of detailing everything inside and out, IMHO she's a wonderful find with sharp, clean rifling...not bad for a used 43 yr old RF!! :tears_of_joy:

Dropped in a MkII Target Trigger, a MkIII Hammer and a MkIV VQ Sear. Pull is now 1.5#, overall travel is 3/32" (1/32" PT-Break-2/32" OT) and the solid wall breaks-like-glass...a Really Sweet Action that is very similar to my accurized MkII's and MkIV's...Amazing! :thumbsup:

I added some of my wooden grips, but no cigars to hand out yet...need to get to the range! :positive:

Ted

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Handsome weapon......nice job.

Reactions: Theo98
#7 ·
With Three MkIVs and Two MkIIs, just had to have a Mk Standard! After a sweet deal with Dury's Gun Shop (San Antonio LGS), obtained a 1976 Bicentennial "200th Year of American Liberty" 4 3\4" Standard RST4, my first blued Ruger Mk rimfire! Pics looked good in their on line store, but the surprise was the 98% great condition of the finish. Realized that it had never been taken apart and cleaned in 43 years, but functioned just fine! After 2 hours of detailing everything inside and out, IMHO she's a wonderful find with sharp, clean rifling...not bad for a used 43 yr old RF!! :tears_of_joy:

Dropped in a MkII Target Trigger, a MkIII Hammer and a MkIV VQ Sear. Pull is now 1.5#, overall travel is 3/32" (1/32" PT-Break-2/32" OT) and the solid wall breaks-like-glass...a Really Sweet Action that is very similar to my accurized MkII's and MkIV's...Amazing! :thumbsup:

I added some of my wooden grips, but no cigars to hand out yet...need to get to the range! :positive:

Ted

Very nice! Just curious, did you use the original disconnector with that trigger?

#11 ·
Newest Family Member...Deeper Down the Rabbit Hole!!

From the latest & greatest (MkIV Hunter), now close to the beginning (SN-3560 out of 4 million)...added a Ruger 1950 Red Eagle RST-4 Standard!! :thumbsup:

Attached is my newest acquisition, a Ruger Red Eagle Standard SN-3560 - Estimated Mnf. Date-early February 1950! After my thorough take down inspection and review, have found this Standard is in Great shape...believe it would rate as a NRA "Excellent" status, with 99% perfect bluing and a basically "new" look (inside and out), including an original Red Eagle grip emblem. Rifling is superb and overall, appears to have been fired very little over the past 70 years. However without the Original Box, Owners Manual and Sales Invoice, getting a collection importance and value has been a nightmare!

Have been trying all week to establish it's collect-ability and value. As is, supposedly it is a collectable, but still gathering data from Ruger and long established private groups, like the ROCS (Ruger Owners & Collectors Society) and RCA (Ruger Collectors Association). Unfortunately, seems the 1st nine months of the Standard production (Oct 49' - June 50'), Ruger's accounting day books were very unorganized and not very reliable for consistent and accurate data. The Senior Tech at Ruger has confirmed that my action component findings are all correct original period designs! However, if I had all of the original accessories and paperwork (box-owners manual-sales invoice) that went with it's early 1950 manufacturing date, it possibly could be worth 10X to 20X more value (as per collectors with very large early production Ruger Standard Pistol investments)!!

Oh well, still this will probably be my first safe queen to pass on to my sons!! :tears_of_joy:

Ted

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Ruger Red Eagle "Type" Data !

Thanks MW for the kind comment and support!

Since this thread is dedicated to the historical and collective Start to the Sturm and Ruger Firearm Co. (the Standard), wanted to share some detailed info I was given yesterday on another Ruger Forum. Received a link to a very educational and detailed gun show participant, the Bob Belknap's Ruger Red Eagle Display at the 2004 RCA Show in Tulsa! :tears_of_joy:

I've been reading about the Ruger Collectors "Type" ratings for Red Eagles, but was never able to get my hands on what it was or how it came about. Now, I have much better clarity of the Ruger Standard Collector's language and decided to get-in-writing what I Think I understand into a .jpeg document! :02.47-tranquillity:

I've attached the data for anyone's use, compliments to the many years of hard work, frustrations and ultimate success I'm confident that Bob (and many other collectors) went through to put this final work on display!! Any errors or juicy details that need correction or addition, please let me know...I'll update the page then re-post!

FWIW, my new Red Eagle edition is a Type 2! :positive: :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Ted

Text Font Line Document
Tool
Fashion accessory Metal
Bumper Auto part Rim

#16 ·
So far, no 1950 authentic box or manuals, but did finally make another good find! I've been searching these past 12 months for a "birth-year" Ruger 1953 Standard Black Eagle. I've come across a few, but very poor conditions and excessive asking $$$ drove me away. This "in great overall condition" 1953 4.75" was being offered without the rear dovetail sight, thus believe it kept bidders away. Picked up a rear sight for cheap, then won the Standard bid for under 2 Franklins! It needed a little TLC (touch up bluing areas, deep cleaning, tightening up loose main spring lug fit), but overall the crisp 2.5# pull, easy bolt racking, trouble free feeding and dead accuracy @ 50 yds (w\CCI Mini Mags) means my wait seems to have paid off! :thumbsup:

Now when asked my age at the hunting camp, I''ll state, "just as old as she...just check the SN"!! ;)

Ted

Attachments

#17 ·
Standard Collection Pics

New Standard Family Portrait pics!

Ted

LtoR: 1976 Bicentennial RST4 -1953 Black Eagle RST4 - 1950 Type II Red Eagle Ruger Pistol (Rarest of all Red Eagles-only 450 produced)!!!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.