Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was expecting recoil got more than expected. I am thinking of adding a Hough sleeve. Will this help any on the recoil. My little Elsie is purple. Is the color of the hough purple sleeve close in color.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What is an Elsie? Are talking about an LCP? If you are, the sleeve in my opinion won't help with recoil, better look at what type of load you are using ...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Elsie Pea - LCP. Elsie Pea Too - LCPII. I have an LCPII and have a Hogue Handall grip on it. I can't say that it mitigates recoil much but it does give a better purchase on the weapon. Its a small gun and it going to be snappy. If a lighter load (as rmichael suggests) doesn't make it a bit more easily handled then you might be looking at a getting different weapon. They are many larger 380's out there that might be what you'd like. Or got to a larger weapon altogether. I summer carry my LCPII and winter carry my EC9s not because of recoil reasons but because summer here in Texas requires light clothing and the LCPII is easily concealable under shorts and a T-shirt..

Reactions: saltair

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is an Elsie?
I love that until last month, the title of this web site said Elsie Pea.
Was expecting recoil got more than expected. I am thinking of adding a Hough sleeve. Will this help any on the recoil. My little Elsie is purple. Is the color of the hough purple sleeve close in color.
Either the the Hogue or Pachmayr grips are nice. The Hogue's purple is different but not clashing. Also, a sleeve alone is not going to tame the recoil as much as you might hope. My recommendation is a stronger recoil spring (the stronger recoil springs add proportionally more effort to racking the slide) to reduce perceived recoil (I find the 13lb is still reasonable). I might also consider a stainless steel guide rod (if you are going with a stronger spring), and 1" garrison grip extensions (the 1.25 is at a weird angle) to get a more secure grip. All my above suggestions apply to either the LCP or the LCPII btw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, and everywhere I have been researching half of the people refer to the LCP as an elsie or elsie p from LC (elsie) P. So guess I wont call it that anymore
Elsie Pea - LCP. Elsie Pea Too - LCPII. I have an LCPII and have a Hogue Handall grip on it. I can't say that it mitigates recoil much but it does give a better purchase on the weapon. Its a small gun and it going to be snappy. If a lighter load (as rmichael suggests) doesn't make it a bit more easily handled then you might be looking at a getting different weapon. They are many larger 380's out there that might be what you'd like. Or got to a larger weapon altogether. I summer carry my LCPII and winter carry my EC9s not because of recoil reasons but because summer here in Texas requires light clothing and the LCPII is easily concealable under shorts and a T-shirt..
Thanks not sure of the load as it was all that was in shock where I made the purchase. Like I said expected recoil as this is a downsize from my usual larger 9mm. Never used a sleeve before and wondered if it would help at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At the range I have a 15 round mag that you can 2 hand it, I reckon if things got bad I would use it but , learn the gun with the regular mag before playing with the larger 1. A 9mm Ruger has some more weight and more handle but is still not bad on size, I carry my lcp in my front pocket by its self and most folks would never spot it unless your wearing skin tight blue jeans and I'm to dang old for that lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
I agree with possibly looking at another gun if the recoil is more than you want to handle. I might suggest a Sig P239. It's a little big bigger but much more manageable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with possibly looking at another gun if the recoil is more than you want to handle. I might suggest a Sig P239. It's a little big bigger but much more manageable.
+1. And the Sig is a fine weapon in general.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Granny, I'm almost as old as the hills and have had my LCP for a while. Here are the things I have don/do to manage recoil. First, I put a Hogue grip on mine. It provides a little bit of cushion as well as a very slightly larger area of impact on the palm. When I shoot, I make sure I have good firm pressure on the handle/grip with the middle and ring fingers squeezing Elsie back in to my palm and making my wrist firm. This ensures the recoil energy passes on through to my arm and shoulder and doesn't bruise my palm or twist my wrist. The final thing I did is buy some 50gr ammo - Liberty Civil Defense and. I tried it, very light recoil and no feed problems, but it's costly and 95gr ammo works for me just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I just ordered a hogue grip and will try working on my grip. Had to go to smaller edc because other became to heavy to carry. Knew the recoil would be worse but I'll just work on it. These golden years are beginning to tarnish quickly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am getting older and found the LCP in .380 a bit snappy as well. One thing that really worked was the Hogue grip. Once you get the grip take some time practice your grip, get to the range and practice as much as possible. With some effort you can get a reliable and trusting feel for the LCP.
*I ended up just keeping my EC9s and LC9s in rotation and retired the LCP in .380 for personal reasons. I have the LCPII22LR and love it.
*I guess what I am saying is keep working at what is best for you and find what you are comfortable with.
*Always ask for assistance and get to know the firearm you are working on.
Have fun, be safe and have a great day. WELCOME TO THE FORUM TOO!
Rick

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply. Ordered the grip and plan on more practice wish ammo wasnt so hard to find. I went with this pistol brcause of the weight. My other pistols where to heavy to carry full time.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Recoil bothers you? Personally I'd recommend a little .22 revolver or a .32 revolver over the tiny .380 semi-automatic LCP. I'm afraid the sleeve won't help much. My little old .22LR revolver weighs the same as the LCP. Virtually no recoil.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello Granny, I'm almost as old as the hills and have had my LCP for a while. Here are the things I have don/do to manage recoil. First, I put a Hogue grip on mine. It provides a little bit of cushion as well as a very slightly larger area of impact on the palm. When I shoot, I make sure I have good firm pressure on the handle/grip with the middle and ring fingers squeezing Elsie back in to my palm and making my wrist firm. This ensures the recoil energy passes on through to my arm and shoulder and doesn't bruise my palm or twist my wrist. The final thing I did is buy some 50gr ammo - Liberty Civil Defense and. I tried it, very light recoil and no feed problems, but it's costly and 95gr ammo works for me just fine.

Never heard of it. Here's their website. Out of stock of course.

It's over $1.50 per round not counting tax and shipping - and i'd want to run a bunch of those unusual rounds through it to make sure they're reliable.

As great as my original model LCP's have been, I'm favoring small revolvers these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am getting older and found the LCP in .380 a bit snappy as well. One thing that really worked was the Hogue grip. Once you get the grip take some time practice your grip, get to the range and practice as much as possible. With some effort you can get a reliable and trusting feel for the LCP.
*I ended up just keeping my EC9s and LC9s in rotation and retired the LCP in .380 for personal reasons. I have the LCPII22LR and love it.
*I guess what I am saying is keep working at what is best for you and find what you are comfortable with.
*Always ask for assistance and get to know the firearm you are working on.
Have fun, be safe and have a great day. WELCOME TO THE FORUM TOO!
Rick
Would love to go to the range and practice. All I need is ammo. None availabe in my area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts