Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an EC9s today. I was looking for another striker-fired 9mm and I've had such a good experience with the LCPII figured the EC9s would be a solid option. Finally found one is stock for $289. $303 delivered. A little pricey but I've had a good year so what the heck. There are covid delays so I probably won't see it until late November, maybe later. Nice compact 9mm with Ruger quality - little brother to the LC9s. EC9s does not have adjustable sights like the LC9s - just iron sights milled into the slide. OK by me - suits my purposes. Looking forward to getting it.

Mods - move this post as needed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great little gun. I have the LC9s Pro (my EDC), and as you said, it's the same gun but with replaceable sights (and minus a couple safety features). The trigger pull is really great (the stock pull is relatively long, but that is intentional for a concealed carry pistol, and there are some trigger mods to change that). The recoil is also much better than you might expect for a little gun (it's snappy, but not overly so, and they make some nice grip sleeves for it). It has taken every type of ammo I have thrown at it, with zero malfunctions (other than one I think I caused while reassembling it). You can even feed it +P as long as it is kept to a minimum. Also, I am an accessory addict, so if you ever want to get an opinion on one, just ask (I have spent far more on accessories and mods then for the base pistol)

test2.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. My first purchase will be a Hogue grip sleeve as I have fairly large hands and found the Hogue Handall really helped on my LCPII. Also, a few more mags (as always). Probably paint the front sight white or orange also. Other than that I plan to keep it fairly stock. I have a few holsters from Paul Vitigliano at HolsterPro and really like his stuff. Will also order one of those for EDC. I plan to use this as my winter EDC.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Take the time to get to know it. I hope yours works as well as mine. Congrats!!!!! Good price in todays climate.
My EC9s turned out to be a good buy for me. I train with it often and have grown attached to it. I love the extended 9 round mags. I have collected 7 of the 7 rounders and 3 of the 9 rounders. I found some in the used mag bins at the LGS and after cleaning and testing them they work great. I too put the Hogue's grip on love it.
*Polish Feedramp/just a bit.
*EC9s Guide Rod Assembly part#32 (bent washer after 950 rounds) replaced 10/26/18 by Ruger for free.
*Hogues Handall Beavertail Grip Sleeve for the LC9/EC9s./try it.
I use this ammo for range and carry without issue. (it shoots anything but this is what I have for inventory) I just stick with it because it works/reliable.
Blazer Brass CCI 9mm 115gr. 1125fps FMJ
Blazer Brass CCI 9mm 124gr. 1090fps FMJ
American Eagle 9mm 124gr. fps 1150 FMJ
American Eagle 9mm 115gr. fps 1180 FMJ

Attachments

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Great info! Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
What is the actual difference, if any, between the EC9s and the LC9s? Both are 9 mm caliber, which I assume is 9 mm Luger ammunition, right?

Does the difference only involve the sights being machined integral with the slide on the EC9s, and the sights being removable on the LC9s?

·
Registered
431 Posts
What is the actual difference, if any, between the EC9s and the LC9s? Both are 9 mm caliber, which I assume is 9 mm Luger ammunition, right?
Does the difference only involve the sights being machined integral with the slide on the EC9s, and the sights being removable on the LC9s?
*Yes. Plus-> The finish is different as well.
Black Oxide finish on EC9s and the LC9s Through-Hardened Alloy Steel(on some slides) or blued.
*For the price I found the EC9s acceptable and I have been happy with mine. Not for everyone but I love it.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I think you are just paying extra money for the sights on the LC9s. The website shows both have a black oxide finish (blued) and both barrels and slides are through-hardened as they do to all their cast parts. Ruger lists only one variant of the LC9s, I bet its going to be discontinued. They both look like fine weapons. Den

·
Registered
273 Posts
Now that 9mm Luger ammunition has come into its own over the last several years, my preference is for sights that can be adjusted, at least somewhat, to compensate for the variation in bullet weights now available in 9mm. I can go from 85 grain bullets to 147 grainers and like the idea of sight adjustment to compensate for that POI. I've even been looking for an adjustable rear sight for my LC9 so I can have lighter loads for "culprits" that wear lighter clothing in summer and then wear 5 to 8 layers of winter clothing when they do venture outdoors looking for trouble during the colder months in these parts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand the only differences to be the adjustable sights and the finish. Finish is not that important to me so I'm not that worried about that. The milled sights on the EC9s are also fine with me as this will be in my carry rotation and I don't expect to be needing true sights in a self defense situation ie +/- 7 yards. I just can't justify the extra $230 bucks ($299 vs $529 ) for the for adjustable sights. But to each his own.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just can't justify the extra $230 bucks ($299 vs $529 ) for the for adjustable sights.
I tend to agree with you. If the EC9s had been out when I got mine, I might very well have picked it up instead, though as it happens, I got mine in a trade with my FFL (2 older rifles for the LC9s Pro and a Gen 2 LCP), and my terrible vision kinda benefits from TFX Fiber Optic Night Sights. Also, I am left handed, and while I can make due with a right handed magazine release, I can't work with a right handed manual safety (don't much like them in general).

Also, one last, minor difference with the EC9s vs LC9s is a change in the slide serrations...

both.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Also, one last, minor difference with the EC9s vs LC9s is a change in the slide serrations...

Re: Slides. I made a post in another group asking about slide interchangeability and the consensus was that you could interchange a LC9s slide with a EC9s slide to turn a EC9s into a LC9s. They are essentially the same gun. But the issue was availability. Ruger does not sell an LC9s slide as a standalone part, nor do any major parts houses. The only way to find one would be to find someone parting out a LC9s or maybe in a pawn shop. Regardless, this will not be an issue as I don't plan to go searching for an LC9S slide. I am sure I will be very happy with a stock EC9s. I do plan to put the Hogue Hand All on it (I have one on my LCPII and love it) and probably buy an extended mag.

Reactions: rclark28

·
Registered
431 Posts
My journey with my EC9s has been a good one. After reading here and another forum about Gladius64 with his LC9s I am now going to start another project. Going to get a LC9s and work on upgrading it. Not so much the trigger but I do like the idea of adjustable sights with some other options. I love the LC9 series and it just fits me. So here we go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Going to get a LC9s and work on upgrading it. Not so much the trigger but I do like the idea of adjustable sights with some other options...
First you will want to TiN coat the barrel and slide, then look into a Gun Candy Cerakote of the frame, maybe Viper or Chimera? Best $360 you can spend on it.

(The above is a joke, I just wanted to be clear about that, though I am still toying with a basic Cerakote for $50)

·
Registered
431 Posts
First you will want to TiN coat the barrel and slide, then look into a Gun Candy Cerakote of the frame, maybe Viper or Chimera? Best $360 you can spend on it.

(The above is a joke, I just wanted to be clear about that, though I am still toying with a basic Cerakote for $50)
I thought for this project to Cerakote mine in flat dark earth. I have seen the EC9s in different colors. Looking at just preserving the finish of the LC9s not so much for color. I have seen a "P" series in FDE and would look into creakote for this LC9s project. I always have wanted to try a lazer as well so this will be a adventure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I always have wanted to try a lazer as well so this will be a adventure.
Unless you want the laser/light combo that LaserMax makes, I wholeheartedly recommend the Armalaser TR series of lasers. They are solidly built (I have read a few reviews of LaserMax, suggesting that their quality of plastic molding is spotty), and my original battery lasted over 2 years of light use. They also look very clean with the lines of the gun (arguably the original LaserMax laser looked great, but it was REAL wonky).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can someone (possibly an existing owner) inform me if the EC9s comes from the factory with a plastic guide rod/spring assembly? I have searched but not been able to verify this. Also, does anyone know a source for a stainless steel guide rod assembly? I searched he Galloway and Lakeline sites but cannot find one at either site. Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well miracle of miracles.. even though the retailer (gunzonedeals.com) said there would be a delay in shipping due to the Chinese Flu pandemic and probably wold not get to my FFL by mid-November, it showed up yesterday and I took receipt of it today! Happy to have it. May be able to get to the range tomorrow as I am off.

Reactions: Gladius64

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to the range put about 200 rounds through the EC9s. Ran like a champ. No failures whatsoever. Someone had mentioned about the little nib tip on the trigger safety being aggravating. It is. the right side of the tip of my trigger finger is sore from engaging the trigger safety. I think I'll have to carefully file a little bit of to make it more comfortable. But other than that, no problems. I really think I'm going to enjoy carrying this gun. I need to order a holster now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts