Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun Parts! Last week when coming back from town I spotted a sigh in front of a house that stated there was an "ESTATE SALE TODAY". Thought I stop and nose around a bit to see if there were any items of interest. I spotted this box that has a sign next to it stating 'gun parts' $65.00, so I opened it up:

Yup! Gun parts alright, was just wondering if they were all included. I asked the person if this price was correct, and they responded that it was and they just wanted to get shed of those parts. I paid for the box of parts and cruised around for anything else that might cause me to reach again into my pocket.
Once I got back to my shop, curiosity was piqued and I wanted to find out if all the parts were indeed there. The pistol went together just find, even without one missing grip screw:

Most of you may already know that the AMT Lightning is "kind of a close" copy of the Ruger Mark II pistol introduced in 1984 by Arcadia Machine & Tool Co. They also produced a copy of the Ruger 10/22, and that must have been the last straw for Mr. William B. Ruger, as he had his team of lawyers draw up a letter of "displeasure" that AMT would dare do such a thing.
Once assembled, I found that this pistol is a bit more rough in action than the Mark II could ever possibly be, but we'll do some "tuning & smoothing" to see if we can get it even close to a Mark II. One, no two, things I did notice though. The bolt on this pistol is two piece with one-inch diameter, straight bolt ears and the mainspring housing assembly is cast as one piece. Interesting, but am wondering about who used those stainless steel parts first, Ruger, in 1982 when they introduced the Mark II in stainless, or AMT when they came out with the Lightning in 1984? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gun Parts! Last week when coming back from town I spotted a sigh in front of a house that stated there was an "ESTATE SALE TODAY". Thought I stop and nose around a bit to see if there were any items of interest. I spotted this box that has a sign next to it stating 'gun parts' $65.00, so I opened it up:
Dennis

Great find and at an even Greater Price...Congrats!! :cool:

Ted

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow I never run into luck like that,awesome find congrats.(y)(y)(y):cool:

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Premium Member
My favorite firearm will always be my Ruger Standard with sights painted white by my grandfather
20 Posts
What amazing luck! Must be someone disassembled it as a safety precaution and whoever priced it couldn't have known there was a whole pistol in there.

Reactions: SGW Gunsmith

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What amazing luck! Must be someone disassembled it as a safety precaution and whoever priced it couldn't have known there was a whole pistol in there.
Yes, I think you nailed it. She knew it was a gun, but didn't know why her Dad took it apart. She just wanted it out of sight so her kids would not get hold of it. Not that they were likely to get it back to working order. She was happy with the $65.00 and after I found all the working parts were there, I was quite elated also.
From the way it sounded there were a few other firearms that other buyers carried off at bargain prices, just so they were gone, I guess.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I never run into luck like that,awesome find congrats.(y)(y)(y):cool:
It doesn't come along very often. Usually, folks think an old gun that grandpa left behind is worth a ton of money just because it's an old gun. Not always the case and most often it's a single shot 12 gauge off-brand sold at Coast to Coast for $45.00 back in 1952.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A great find. And no FFL required! :cool:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A great find. And no FFL required! :cool:
Thanks. The strange thing that I noticed on this box of parts (AMT Lightening) was that the bolt was a "two-piece" version, much like some of the Ruger Mark II stainless steel bolts were made.
Over on another forum (RFC) the process for a preventative fix for those bolts was bashed by a nitwit who calls himself "DrewBone", and sad to say, a member here agreed wholeheartedly with his post. Well, again, lesson learned. I see that there are snakes where you never expect them to be. Just can't trust some people, so will keep that in mind.
When I discussed my idea with the Customer Service Manager at Ruger about my method for a fix, he thought it was GREAT, and apparently, so do the owners of the 46 two-piece bolts that I've done, and they now maintain their original pistol as it SHOULD be. Joe, told me that they get between 3 and 6 Mark II, two-piece seperated bolts back a year. Now, there are no Mark II bolts left in stock for replacement so owners will then have a Mark IV bolt sent with a different type of bolt ear set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts