Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the perfect bugout rimfire combo for survival or bugout weapon. The .22 long rifle rimfire rifle can take both Large & Small Games effective to 100 Yards.

The Ruger 10/22 Backpacker with Magpul Stock & the Taurus TX 22. This is an 11 shot group fired from 50 yards with the Ruger 10/22 rifle in the photo below.

I selected a Hi-Lux XTC 1-4X34 scope with a green lited reticle it's a purpose-built scope designed around the 2016 CMP COMPETITION RULES FOR SERVICE RIFLE . I removed it from my AR-15 A 3 and put it on my 10/22 It tracks perfectly with the CCI 32 grain Stinger & 40-grain Velocitor ammo. My preference is the CCI 40 grain Velocitor as it is heavier than the stinger hits hard and penetration is deep these round mushrooms and leaves a nice wound channel that retains its weight. Unlike the Stingers bullet that explodes on contact and will not penetrate as deep and will not retain its mass. The rifle has an 18.5" barrel with the accuracy being fine. It holds 3 spare 10 round mags in the stock and one in the firearm 40 rounds storage in the firearm. The Pistol Holds 17 Rounds and I have four spare 16 round magazines for the pistol. The Stainless steel helps prevent rust when the firearm is in storage I keep my firearms clean with a lite coat of CLP for rust preventative and I use Dry Packs 40 g Silica Gel Dehumidifier disposable packs in all my cases and backpacks Safe. I also have a Ruger PC 9mm Carbine and Springfield Armory XDM 4.5" 9mm Pistol set up in the same type package for Survival/Bugout but it sports a Sightmark Wraith Day /Night Optic. The 9mm is a Heavier Package that packs more firepower with a much bigger punch but both packages can be used for Defense effectively. No cheap made poorly constructed U.S. Survival AR-7 .22LR Rifle for me as these rifles after a few thousand rounds are worn out and are not as accurate. I had one the stock cover that kept the rifle in the stock kept falling off the stock and traded it off. I think the Ruger 10/22 BackPacker or Ruger PC 9 Carbine backpacker is the best choice for survival/bugout.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My backpack gun is the Henry AR7 only because it breaks down a bit smaller and I like the floatable aspect to it. I do agree that the AR7 does not have the quality construction of the Ruger nor even the Marlin 70PSS Papoose but again, the AR7 breaks down smaller, is lighter in weight, and will function acceptably as a bugout/backpack rifle. If one needs a bugout/backpack rifle longer than a camping trip or bugout situation then you have bigger problems. There is also a mod that I did that allows storage of 50 or so additional rounds in the floatable stock. My sidearm for bugout is an LCPII. My EDC is a EC9s with an extended mag.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My backpack gun is the Henry AR7 only because it breaks down a bit smaller and I like the floatable aspect to it. I do agree that the AR7 does not have the quality construction of the Ruger nor even the Marlin 70PSS Papoose but again, the AR7 breaks down smaller, is lighter in weight, and will function acceptably as a bugout/backpack rifle. If one needs a bugout/backpack rifle longer than a camping trip or bugout situation then you have bigger problems. There is also a mod that I did that allows storage of 50 or so additional rounds in the floatable stock. My sidearm for bugout is an LCPII. My EDC is a EC9s with an extended mag.
I owned one of the Henry AR-7 .22 LR Rifles the rear butt cover kept coming off and spilling out the barrel receiver and spare magazines on the ground was one problem I had and the thing just wore out after a few thousand rounds fired thru it, even when backpacking hunting tree rats the firearm was too bulky cumbersome and not very accurate plus spilling the contents out. What if I dropped my AR-7 FLOATING STOCK the contents would be spilled out to the bottom of the water I would be SOL. My Backpack will float even when fully loaded. I just find the Ruger Take Down and the addition of the Magpul Backpacker stock to be better more reliable for a Bugout / Survival Rifle. The stock holds 3 magazines and one in the gun plus it allows for an optic to be installed. Small and Larger animals are not a problem out of 100 Yards and 200 yards for defense from 2 legged upright walking animals. The Rifle sports an 18.5 " Barrel for improved accuracy. Then the 4" Barrel 17 shot semi-auto pistol is a plus to the rifle. I also have the Ruger LCPII.22, I love that little LCP II.22 Lr I Carry it as a backup to my Springfield Armory Hell Cat 9mm OSP. After years of hunting Feral hogs & Coyotes and culling deer with a .22 Long Rifle, I have no problem using a rimfire .22 LR to defend myself I came to realize it's all about the Velocity and weight of the round and distance to the target and most of all shot placement to the Head Neck or Torso of the Animal be it two legs or four.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Automotive exterior Wood

Guitar accessory Bicycle part Tool Automotive exterior Bumper

Office supplies Pen Writing implement Gas Cleanliness

BackPack foam floats even if the pack is fully loaded

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I do have a Ruger PC 9 Carbine with a Sightmark Wraith Day / Night Vision Scope and Springfield Armory XDM 9mm 4.5" Full Sized Duty Pistol as a Bugout / Survival Combo the Ruger PC 9 will be also outfitted with the New a Magpul Backpacker stock when they come available. This is a larger heavier Package than the RimFire Combo but in some cases, you might need the quietest package available. But both of these packages are supreme for Bugout / Survival.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ruger PC 9 BackPacker stock by Magpul .

The Magpul PC Backpacker Stock for the Ruger® PC Carbine™ is the ultimate option for those wanting to bring advanced ergonomics and portability to their Ruger® PC Carbine™ rifle. With a similar look and functionality as our X-22 Backpacker stock, it offers a minimalist solution for the hunter or outdoorsman and was designed for those who want to transport their carbine in an efficient, convenient package without compromising shooting performance or ease of deployment.
The PC Backpacker is constructed with Magpul’s advanced polymer, featuring an ergonomic handguard with M-LOK® slots at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions and interchangeable cheek risers to accommodate for various sighting options. The PC Backpacker stock also features a MOE SL® rubber butt-pad offering an anti-slip surface that increases impact protection and is compatible with the MOE SL® Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad for an additional 3/8” LOP.
Using a unique locking interface that attaches the barrel assembly to the receiver, the PC Backpacker provides an efficient solution for storage during transportation while maintaining convenient assembly from the stowed position. By including multiple QD cup mounting locations, we’ve made it easy to carry your Ruger® PC Carbine™ in either the broken down or assembled state with the Magpul Sling Mount Kit–Type 1 & Type 2.
We’ve also integrated two convenient storage locations. The first is a water-resistant grip storage compartment that provides an at-hand location for a small multi-tool, survival equipment, or cleaning equipment. The second is a compartment in the riser section that’s ideal for a single pistol magazine, fitting up to the PMAG® 21 GL9®.
Made in the USA.

BACKPACKER FLEXIBILITY
Unique locking interface to attach the barrel assembly to the stock body when being transported
Optional QD sling mounting capability.Water-resistant grip storage compartment and a second compartment in the riser section.

RUGGED POLYMER CONSTRUCTION
Ergonomic M-LOK-compatible handguard
Interchangeable standard and optic-height cheek risers included.

PC Backpacker Stock – Ruger® PC Carbine®
COMING FALL 2021 MAG1076 MSRP $149.95 US

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/ruger/pc-backpacker-stock-ruger-pc-carbine.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is the perfect bugout rimfire combo for survival or bugout weapon. The .22 long rifle rimfire rifle can take both Large & Small Games effective to 100 Yards.

The Ruger 10/22 Backpacker with Magpul Stock & the Taurus TX 22. This is an 11 shot group fired from 50 yards with the Ruger 10/22 rifle in the photo below.

I selected a Hi-Lux XTC 1-4X34 scope with a green lited reticle it's a purpose-built scope designed around the 2016 CMP COMPETITION RULES FOR SERVICE RIFLE . I removed it from my AR-15 A 3 and put it on my 10/22 It tracks perfectly with the CCI 32 grain Stinger & 40-grain Velocitor ammo. My preference is the CCI 40 grain Velocitor as it is heavier than the stinger hits hard and penetration is deep these round mushrooms and leaves a nice wound channel that retains its weight. Unlike the Stingers bullet that explodes on contact and will not penetrate as deep and will not retain its mass. The rifle has an 18.5" barrel with the accuracy being fine. It holds 3 spare 10 round mags in the stock and one in the firearm 40 rounds storage in the firearm. The Pistol Holds 17 Rounds and I have four spare 16 round magazines for the pistol. The Stainless steel helps prevent rust when the firearm is in storage I keep my firearms clean with a lite coat of CLP for rust preventative and I use Dry Packs 40 g Silica Gel Dehumidifier disposable packs in all my cases and backpacks Safe. I also have a Ruger PC 9mm Carbine and Springfield Armory XDM 4.5" 9mm Pistol set up in the same type package for Survival/Bugout but it sports a Sightmark Wraith Day /Night Optic. The 9mm is a Heavier Package that packs more firepower with a much bigger punch but both packages can be used for Defense effectively. No cheap made poorly constructed U.S. Survival AR-7 .22LR Rifle for me as these rifles after a few thousand rounds are worn out and are not as accurate. I had one the stock cover that kept the rifle in the stock kept falling off the stock and traded it off. I think the Ruger 10/22 BackPacker or Ruger PC 9 Carbine backpacker is the best choice for survival/bugout.
Works for me.Looks like a nice practical & realistic set up. I use the same similar set up, except I use a TC TCR22 with a Leupold AR 1x4 in QD rings. I use a Mk III Lite as a companion piece. The TC has a built in rail, nicer machined bolt (IMHO) and shoots very well. While it is not a take down,it uses the same stye Magpul stock branded for TC, it is not a very big package either. It also uses the Ruger mags and the TC mag has a hold open feature.. The MKIII Lite wears a Burris FF3 with orig Rosewood grips. I have a pair of them that have had the mag disconnector removed, Volquartsen trigger upgrades, Speed Strip installed and the Loaded Chamber ind. removed. I like how they handle & shoot. Don't have pic of the TC.
Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Wood

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Works for me.Looks like a nice practical & realistic set up. I use the same similar set up, except I use a TC TCR22 with a Leupold AR 1x4 in QD rings. I use a Mk III Lite as a companion piece. The TC has a built in rail, nicer machined bolt (IMHO) and shoots very well. While it is not a take down,it uses the same stye Magpul stock branded for TC, it is not a very big package either. It also uses the Ruger mags and the TC mag has a hold open feature.. The MKIII Lite wears a Burris FF3 with orig Rosewood grips. I have a pair of them that have had the mag disconnector removed, Volquartsen trigger upgrades, Speed Strip installed and the Loaded Chamber ind. removed. I like how they handle & shoot. Don't have pic of the TC. View attachment 15470
Those are very nice Ruger Pistols ! I bet they are fun to shoot.

Reactions: Whiskeyshooter

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

These are the two BugOut Packages that I came up with Top the Ruger 10/22 Take Down with BackPacker Stock & the Taurus TX .22 Pistol & Bottom The Ruger PC9 9MM Carbine and the Springfield Armory XDM OSP 4.5 " 9MM Pistol Soon to get the Magpul Backpacker Stock for the Ruger PC 9 Carbine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love the Midland Backpack 12 ga. Crazy 4 1/2 lbs 18 inch with BERETTA MOBILE CHOKES. I have a 9mm, 22.cal and 20ga SHORTLANE adapters. (You can many other calibers and even a 410 shotgun adapter
One lightweight firearm that can be used for Defense, taking down a deer or even a small bird.

I also have the Turkey Model which came with a mounted Scope base.

First day out shooting 9mm with a shortlane adapter at 25 yd. Bottom target was with a big Fiber Optic, the TOP target was with standard Bead.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the Midland Backpack 12 ga. Crazy 4 1/2 lbs 18 inch with BERETTA MOBILE CHOKES. I have a 9mm, 22.cal and 20ga SHORTLANE adapters. (You can many other calibers and even a 410 shotgun adapter
One lightweight firearm that can be used for Defense, taking down a deer or even a small bird.

I also have the Turkey Model which came with a mounted Scope base.

First day out shooting 9mm with a shortlane adapter at 25 yd. Bottom target was with a big Fiber Optic, the TOP target was with standard Bead.

Nice shotgun and the 9mm subcaliber device works well for you. good setup the little single shot looks well made.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few H&R/NEF in 12 & 20 gauge with Skeeter Chamber reducer for the 12 to 20. I alos have two WallyWorld Hatfields in 12, that are made in Turkey and the quality is outstanding for a $99 shotgun! I cut one to 18 ". They are all steel through out!
those H&R single shots are nice when I was a boy I had a stevens over and under 12 Gauge & 222 caliber. It was a full choke 12 Gauge with about 28 " and the rifle barrel on top it was a very accurate varmint rifle with Iron sights I killed a few Fox with the rifle caliber and a few Woodchucks but the full choke 12 gauge took many Ruffed Grouse, and Pheasants, Squirrels, Rabbits, Woodcock, Quail, WoodDucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
those H&R single shots are nice when I was a boy I had a stevens over and under 12 Gauge & 222 caliber. It was a full choke 12 Gauge with about 28 " and the rifle barrel on top it was a very accurate varmint rifle with Iron sights I killed a few Fox with the rifle caliber and a few Woodchucks but the full choke 12 gauge took many Ruffed Grouse, and Pheasants, Squirrels, Rabbits, Woodcock, Quail, WoodDucks.
If you have chamber reducers you can have many different options available should ammunition become a problem etc. I think the single shot makes a very good survival firearm due to the versatility of shotgun ammunition from shot to slugs. I also have a black powder insert that can go into the 20 ga which is a perfect 62 caliber for shot or ball, uses a 209 primer. I enjoy the discussions and like creating and solving hypothetical potential problems, of course the reality is, thinking I am going to be a survivor in some full blown Mad Max scenario is for idiots & fools (IMHO). Lets digress a minute. In a full blown SHTF scenario, with tens of millions trying to survive, supplies of food, medicine and basics will disappear quickly as will anything that walks ,crawls or flies as millions of people destroy the countryside looking for safety, shelter & food etc. Ole Cletus and Jethro (in SC)aren't going to know what hit them when the hordes of city folk arrive in their back country area! Thinking I am going to hold off hordes of desperate people, Irate Locals,
would be Tyrants, Idiot Militias and other pseudo War Lord types is laughable, since one well placed shot will end that plan. There is always some miscreant who thinks they should be in charge and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and millions of lemmings who will follow the false promises of safety and prosperity to save "junior" and "suzy! So, I "play" with different things but do not kid myself that once the SHTF in reality, unless it is short lived, thinking we will survive long term is questionable at best. LOL, look at the panic when TP was running out!! Can you imagine when there in no food, water, oil or gasoline etc. People will do what people always do; take from others. You can only last so long in those scenarios. Poor nutrition causes health issues, lack of proper sanitation and sleep depravation takes its toll and will eventually win every time. Many people who do not study history forget that there were as many casualties in WWII from the above issues, then there was from combat. So, our survival rigs are great for weathering a natural disaster or short term govt problem, but other than that, I really cant see how all my arms will do much for me in the end. I am a realist. If I take one or two with me or 200- 300 it doesn't matter when I'm gone. I am still gone! I obviously spent too much time working for Uncle Sam overseas after Nam. When you see enough of "true human behavior" in action, nothing surprises you anymore. Good talking with you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have chamber reducers you can have many different options available should ammunition become a problem etc. I think the single shot makes a very good survival firearm due to the versatility of shotgun ammunition from shot to slugs. I also have a black powder insert that can go into the 20 ga which is a perfect 62 caliber for shot or ball, uses a 209 primer. I enjoy the discussions and like creating and solving hypothetical potential problems, of course the reality is, thinking I am going to be a survivor in some full blown Mad Max scenario is for idiots & fools (IMHO). Lets digress a minute. In a full blown SHTF scenario, with tens of millions trying to survive, supplies of food, medicine and basics will disappear quickly as will anything that walks ,crawls or flies as millions of people destroy the countryside looking for safety, shelter & food etc. Ole Cletus and Jethro (in SC)aren't going to know what hit them when the hordes of city folk arrive in their back country area! Thinking I am going to hold off hordes of desperate people, Irate Locals,

would be Tyrants, Idiot Militias and other pseudo War Lord types is laughable, since one well placed shot will end that plan. There is always some miscreant who thinks they should be in charge and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and millions of lemmings who will follow the false promises of safety and prosperity to save "junior" and "suzy! So, I "play" with different things but do not kid myself that once the SHTF in reality, unless it is short lived, thinking we will survive long term is questionable at best. LOL, look at the panic when TP was running out!! Can you imagine when there in no food, water, oil or gasoline etc. People will do what people always do; take from others. You can only last so long in those scenarios. Poor nutrition causes health issues, lack of proper sanitation and sleep depravation takes its toll and will eventually win every time. Many people who do not study history forget that there were as many casualties in WWII from the above issues, then there was from combat. So, our survival rigs are great for weathering a natural disaster or short term govt problem, but other than that, I really cant see how all my arms will do much for me in the end. I am a realist. If I take one or two with me or 200- 300 it doesn't matter when I'm gone. I am still gone! I obviously spent too much time working for Uncle Sam overseas after Nam. When you see enough of "true human behavior" in action, nothing surprises you anymore. Good talking with you.
I'm in Aiken which obviously is not far from North Augusta.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

That's good to know about the subcaliber devices and the Black Powder as the black powder can be made easily in the backyard here is how its done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you have chamber reducers you can have many different options available should ammunition become a problem etc. I think the single shot makes a very good survival rife due to the versatility of shotgun ammuntion from shot to slugs. I also have a black powder insert that can go into the 20 ga which is a perfect 62 caliber for shot or ball, uses a 209 primer. I enjoy the discussions and like creating and solving potential problems, of course the reality is, thinking I am going to be a survivor in some full blown Mad Max scenario is for idiots & fools (IMHO). Lets digress a minute. In a full blown SHTF scenario, with tens of millions trying to survive, supplies of food, medicine and basics will disappear quickly as will anything that walks ,crawls or flies as millions of people destroy the countryside looking for safety, shelter & food etc. Ole Cletus and Jethro aren't going to know what hit them when the hordes of city folk arrive in there back country area! Thinking I am going to hold off hordes of desperate people, Irate Locals,would be Tyrants, Idiot Militias and other pseudo War Lord types is laughable, since one well placed shot will end that plan. There is always some miscreant who thinks they should be in charge and is willing to do whatever it takes to get there, and millions of lemmings who will follow the false promises of safety and prosperity to save "junior" and "suzy! So, I "play" with different things but do not kid myself that once the SHTF in reality, unless it is short lived, thinking we will survive long term is questionable at best. LOL, look at the panic when TP was running out!! Can you imagine when there in no food, water, oil or gasoline etc. People will do what people always do; take from others. You can only last so long in those scenarios. Poor nutrition causes health issues, lack of proper sanitation and sleep depravation takes it toll and will eventually win every time. Many people who do not study history forget that there were as many casualties in WWII from the above issues, then there was from combat. So, our survival rigs are great for weathering a natural disaster or short term govt problem, but other than that, I really cant see how all my arms will do much for me in the end. I am a realist. If I take one or two with me or 200- 300 it doesn't matter when I'm gone. I am still gone! I obviously spent too much time working for Uncle Sam overseas after Nam. When you see enough of "true human behavior" in action, nothing surprises you anymore. Good talking with you.
That's good to know about the subcaliber devices and the Black Powder as the black powder can be made easily in the backyard here is how its done.
I may have to try making some just for the fun of it. Thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in Aiken which obviously is not far from North Augusta.
I think I could go into the Cracker Neck or the Blueridge and live off the Land for years most of the populists couldn't survive a week in the crackerneck or Blueridge I grew up hunting and living off the land, in the end, I will be a survivor. Give me a call and I will take you Hog Hunting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I could go into the Cracker Neck or the Blueridge and live off the Land for years most of the populists couldn't survive a week in the crackerneck or Blueridge I grew up hunting and living off the land, in the end, I will be a survivor. Give me a call and I will take you Hog Hunting.
Check out Gunadapteres.com. It is the site for ShortLane Chamber inserts etc. They have the Black Powder insert!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Check out Gunadapteres.com. It is the site for ShortLane Chamber inserts etc. They have the Black Powder insert!
Thanks, I imagine yoou would do Ok, but at 71 I am not certain how long I could last strictly from a health standpoint. I grew up in Penna., outside the Phils area, and my Grandparents lived their entire life in Bradford, Pa, known as the "Icebox of Penna!." Tough country with steep hills, thick woods & brutal winters. Hunting there was demanding with deep snow and often sub zero temps. my Grandfather was a Professional Guide and PH who hunted around the world, all 4 Continents, in the late 50's through the 70's! He used to supply film to Marlin Perkins old Mutual of Omaha series. My brother and I learned from a vey early age about hunting and surviving in the "bush". I appreciate the invite, and will try and take you up on that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts