Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Modifying the Federal Match 40 Grain Round nose Rim Fire Ammo into a very accurate Revolver Hunting Load

My friend Mark has been doing a number on ground Hogs with his .22 Hornet & a Pet cast lead load he came up with .Now he has taken two with his .22 LR Revolver from 20 yards out he was hidden from view by a Tractor Tire & scored two Ground Hogs with his .22 Revolver and his modified Federal Match 40 grain round nose lead he made a jig to make the round nose a flat point by removing just 2 grains of lead to 38 grains from 40 grains he has come up with a super accurate load the Flat Point hits hard and penetrants deep. And is very accurate in his revolver . This is what its all about experimenting and coming up with a super accurate load in this case a rim fire load , I might add that seating depth can be experimented with factory loads both Rim Fire & Center fire Mark has made some Wolf .223 ammo shoot to match quality by changing the seating depth only a few thousands .Here are Marks Ground Hogs and his pet .22LR Load he experimented with , note how clean the modified bullet looks ,It looks just like a factory round .

Marks 2 Ground Hogs he shot with his 9 shot .22Lr revolver from 20 yards with his modified Federal Match 40 grain
rim fire cartridge.

This is Marks Modified Federal Match 40 grain round nose cartridge now a very accurate 38 grain flat point.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find the Federal HV to be very accurate out of my 617 as well. What was wrong with the cartridge as it is? Mine easily shoots 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 from a rest and has plenty of stopping power on rabbits.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I find the Federal HV to be very accurate out of my 617 as well. What was wrong with the cartridge as it is? Mine easily shoots 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 25 from a rest and has plenty of stopping power on rabbits.
I did not say anything was wrong with the Federal Cartridge What Mark has done by removing just 2 grains of lead from 40 to 38 he has a faster velocity and a Flat point that hits harder than a round nose and produces a larger wound channel. It's a little more effective for hunting with his revolver.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting ...
I found it interesting and his experiment turned out well for him that bullet is so clean it looks like a Factory Loaded flat point its a tack driver out of his 9 shot revolver .In fact I am thinking about sending him 2OO rounds IOO for me & 1OO him so he can modify 1OO Rounds for my Revolver as I have the same revolver he has. I may give them a try in a single shot 24" Barreled Rifle and see how well it works out of a rifle I know the velocity will be much higher in the rifle than the revolver because so much loss between the cylinder & forcing cone & 5" short barrel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Modifying the Federal Match 40 Grain Round nose Rim Fire Ammo into a very accurate Revolver Hunting Load

My friend Mark has been doing a number on ground Hogs with his .22 Hornet & a Pet cast lead load he came up with .Now he has taken two with his .22 LR Revolver from 20 yards out he was hidden from view by a Tractor Tire & scored two Ground Hogs with his .22 Revolver and his modified Federal Match 40 grain round nose lead he made a jig to make the round nose a flat point by removing just 2 grains of lead to 38 grains from 40 grains he has come up with a super accurate load the Flat Point hits hard and penetrants deep. And is very accurate in his revolver . This is what its all about experimenting and coming up with a super accurate load in this case a rim fire load ,

This is Marks Modified Federal Match 40 grain round nose cartridge now a very accurate 38 grain flat point.
Long time ago I used to put water into the nose of 22 LR, then seal them with candle wax. These were the "yellow jacket" bullets, the cone shaped ones. I would shoot them into water bottles. I tried these water bullets on game animals. Did horrible things, like blast internal organs out the other side. We're talking like big holes and chunks of lung and stuff. Definitely killed them.

Another trick I used was to remove a bit of material from the nose to make a "spoon point". This caused them to upset. The results were sickle shaped rounds after they went through water bottles. I don't remember if I tried using those or not on the local pest life.

I like his system too. They seem to work well on those creatures. Hunting isn't comfy and pests sometimes gotta go. Especially leg breakers like ground hog holes.

I might add that seating depth can be experimented with factory loads both Rim Fire & Center fire Mark has made some Wolf .223 ammo shoot to match quality by changing the seating depth only a few thousands .
He's changing the load by reducing the interior space of the round. Good idea to proceed with caution on that one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back in the day, the original "Killing" load for a .22LR had Mercury sealed in the tip. The significant difference in density/specific gravity of Mercury made the round explosive, and damage was extreme on soft targets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back in the day, the original "Killing" load for a .22LR had Mercury sealed in the tip. The significant difference in density/specific gravity of Mercury made the round explosive, and damage was extreme on soft targets.
No need for Mercury ! Now we have a CCI composite .22 LR bullet .. The projectile is constructed from a unique mix of copper particles and polymer compressed into a potent, 21-grain hollow-point bullet. Combined with reliable priming and propellant, The Copper-22 loads achieve a muzzle velocity of 1,850 fps and provide superb accuracy.
at 1850 FPS you have .22 Magnum velocity and that .21 grain bullet will have the penetration for a clean kill with proper shot placement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No need for Mercury ! Now we have a CCI composite .22 LR bullet .. The projectile is constructed from a unique mix of copper particles and polymer compressed into a potent, 21-grain hollow-point bullet. Combined with reliable priming and propellant, The Copper-22 loads achieve a muzzle velocity of 1,850 fps and provide superb accuracy.
at 1850 FPS you have .22 Magnum velocity and that .21 grain bullet will have the penetration for a clean kill with proper shot placement.
Yes, the technology seems to improve every year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts