Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a MK IV 22 45 in March 2021. After shooting 200 rounds through it, I felt that the pistol was accurate enough but the trigger pull was long and gritty - not smooth. Additionally, the trigger had too much overtravel past the break. The trigger pull was slightly heavy but not excessive. I don't have a trigger pull gauge and guessed that it was 6 to 8 pounds.

I have arthritis in my fingers which reduces the trigger fingers range of motion, which can become uncomfortable shooting a pistol with long gritty triggers. I'm not as concerned about trigger pull weight, especially on carry guns, but a smooth and short trigger is at the top of my list. The triggers on most of my other pistols (currently and previously owned) have been tuned and smoothed to provide a smooth, short pull.

I looked at the various "trigger kits" offered by Volquartsen and others but felt that I would experience better results by having a gunsmith tune my MK IV. Replacing the sear, hammer and a few other parts with kits might reduce trigger pull but a pistol require smoothing and polishing of other components to get it to function well. Smoothing a pistols internals will also shorten the break in time.

I'll add to this post as time allows.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After reading posts by SGW Gunsmith, I visited his web site and it describes a Ruger Pistol Tune/smooth service for $77.50. I emailed Dennis at SGW to get more information and his response:

"Here’s what I do during the smoothing service. Your grip frame and bolt are completely taken apart. All edges are smoothed of sharp edges. I do recommend that a replacement extractor be installed. Cost is $12.50 and spent cases extraction will improve immensely. In the grip frame I also recommend that a new sear be installed. This will provide you with a safe trigger pull of 2½ to 3 pounds. The sear cost is $28.50. If parts are bought from us, there is no charge for installation during the smoothing service.

If you choose to go with this, I would need to have your grip frame, no grips, mainspring housing assembly, bolt and two magazines. The magazines are smoothed up and all sharp edges are polished. This operation will have both magazines working much better.

If this interests you, please let me know and I will provide a total cost breakdown. We will never install any additional parts until we get your permission first."

Second email answering my questions:

The parts that I wrote about will give the most improvement. Before we do anything with the hammer and bushing, I’d like to measure the pull weight first. Will let you know what that is, as is, and depending on your decision, we’ll go from there. I’d also liked to see which firing pin you have and also which safety detent plunger is in your safety plate. Ruger was using a “plastic” detent plunger at the beginning and the nose of that plunger developed a flat on it that made it mostly useless. I do replace those with the steel plunger they’ve been using since 1949.

So, once it gets here I will be able to tell more by how it’s operating right now. Again, no parts will be replaced without your approval, which can be done by email, or phone call. Currently, turn-around time is about 4-days and will go back to you priority mail with a tracking number provided.

I sent my MK IV lower, bolt and two magazines to SGW at the end of April 2021.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I emailed Dennis:

"I want the extractor and sear replaced.

How about the hammer and bushing? I liked your solution. Do I need it?

I want the trigger pull and reset shortened. Are you still adding adjustment screws to the stock trigger? If not, a stainless steel Volquartsen trigger.

And the stronger pin on the firing pin? Firing pin."

Dennis replied:

"The stock trigger pull measures at 7 pounds 8 ounces as measure and averaged for 10 pulls.

I have your pistol completely apart and have smoothed many of the internal parts. I will be returning all of your original parts from those that have been replaced. Here’s is what I will be installing:

* S.G.W. LLC replacement sear, hammer and hammer bushing $25.00 This will eliminate the magazine disconnect so that the pistol can be fired without the magazine in it.

* I do recommend that the safety detent plunger be replaced. Ruger now uses a plastic part. To be replaced with a steel plunger that they have used since 1949. Cost is $11.75

* I advise that the better extractor be installed to replace the stamped part. This extractor is much better when handling spent cases. $12.50

* I can install pre and over-travel screws in your trigger. Cost for that is $23.50

* Smoothing all the internal working parts and then your two magazines is $77.00, which includes removing all sharp edges in your bolt and firing pin track.

* I will inspect the firing pin to see which pin Ruger installed. If it needs to be replace, our “Sure Strike” firing pin is $27.00.

* Return priority mail shipping is $8.00.

Total for all is $157.75, but does not include the new firing pin if needed. Will advise as to which pin is now there and get your decision."

I told Dennis to proceed with everything including the trigger screws.

$149.75 (shipping excluded) is less than I expected for the tuning/smoothing service. The "Accurizing" kits are $141, plus shipping and does not smooth/tune the bolt or magazine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis emailed that "Firing pin stop pin is fine. Stick with the factory firing pin for now, it can always be replaced later if it gives you trouble"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
On June 1, 2021 Dennis emailed:

"I have the pull weight at 4 pounds. What causes the heavy pull? The plastic Mark IV grip frames have some parts geometry unlike the others. I don’t want to go too far as when you get this grip frame back and start using it, the sear face to hammer notch will “wear-in” a bit, so trying to figure just how much it will wear until it gets to 3 pounds, is quite difficult.
Also, the mainspring on the Mark IV pistols is quite heavy and I have been trying various springs to make pulling the bolt back less hard, yet maintain hammer strikes on primers, positive. When I do come up with a much better spring, I will install one in your grip frame, no charge, you just pay for the return shipping, if you want to do that, but in the meantime, if you’d like to shoot it for a while to see when the trigger pull wears in a bit."

I told Dennis to send the MK IV back to me.

Invoice:
Rectangle Parallel Font Handwriting Number

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got the MK IV lower, bolt and magazines back from SGW Gunsmith on June 13, 2021 and took it to the range.

I fired 200 rounds through it and the MK IVs trigger was vastly improved. The trigger pull was very smooth, lighter and the stroke definitly shorter. The break was crisp and reset was short. I had no issues whatsoever. The pistol is now a delight to shoot.

The followers on the magazines were amazingly smooth after the polishing. (I ended up polishing magazines from my other pistols after experiencing the smooth action on the polished MK IV magazines and that made a huge difference to the other mags)

The only issues that I experienced with SGW was that it took longer than quoted to get the pistol back, he got me mixed up with another client and his communication via email was slow a few times. Those are minor issues and if Dennis had not quoted a 4 day turnaround, would have made no difference to me.

I am very pleased with the smoothing/tuning service by SGW Gunsmith and would recommend that anyone thinking about purchasing a trigger kit for their MK pistol consider having it tuned and smoothed instead. The difference in cost is negligible but I gained a better extractor, polished firing pin groove, a steel plunger and smoothing. And I did not have to do the work to install the kit.

I think that this was definitely a worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My tuned and smoothed MK IV 22/45 is a huge improvement from stock. With the smoother shorter trigger pull, shooting 200 rounds through it did not cause discomfort in my arthritic trigger finger like before the upgrade. There also was no malfunctions or jams.

However, my Colt 1911 22 Gold Cup, manufactured by Walther, has a better trigger and is more accurate than the tuned MK IV. The only improvement I've done to the Colt was to polish the trigger track, bow and sear face, reduce trigger travel and polish the leaf spring tip. The lower on the 1911 22 is identical to the rest of the 1911's except for the fixed barrel so smoothing and tuning it is the same. 1911's, because of their unique trigger design (linear versus pivoting) has inherently better triggers. I might install the Wilson Combat sear and adjustable trigger eventually.

The 1911 22 also has less recoil than the MK IV's minor recoil.

I enjoy shooting both 22's equally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great review of the gunsmithing on your MK 4. Thanks.

Are you concerned that the trigger pull is at 4 pounds instead of 2.5 to 3 pounds like SGW promised? People with Volquartsen trigger kits are bragging about their 3 pound trigger.

Or that your gun took a month and a half instead of 4 days as promised.

Was the results worth $150?

SGW seems kinda grumpy and rude on the forum here.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hmmmm! Guess no one read Posts #6 and #7 above? That was a very FAIR review. Sometimes I get quite busy around here, and make no apologies for that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great review of the gunsmithing on your MK 4. Thanks.

Are you concerned that the trigger pull is at 4 pounds instead of 2.5 to 3 pounds like SGW promised? People with Volquartsen trigger kits are bragging about their 3 pound trigger.

Or that your gun took a month and a half instead of 4 days as promised.

Was the results worth $150?

SGW seems kinda grumpy and rude on the forum here.
The difference between 3 pounds and 4 is negligible. And as I mentioned, trigger pull weight is not a huge concern to me, as long as it is in the 4 to 6 pound range. . I prefer a short, smooth, crisp trigger pull than an overly light trigger on my pistols. Low trigger pull weight is more of a bragging issue for some people.

As I mentioned above, if Dennis had not quoted 4 days, I would have no issue with the time it took. I would prefer a slow meticulous tune and smoothing than a rushed job.

The $150 spent on the smoothing and tuning was fair and equal to a "trigger kit". I prefer a qualified gunsmith working on my guns than my amateurish attempt.

I did not find Dennis grumpy nor rude. He was professional with his communication with me.

I would send another MK pistol to SGW for tuning and smoothing without hesitation.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It would be just wonderful if every trigger pull measured exactly at 4-pounds, after being worked on, but they don't. The 4-pound pull weight is an average of 10 measurements on each of my two electronic trigger pull gauges, which means that some pulls measured under 4 pounds and some were a bit over. Smarter owners realize this.
Most of us can't afford, or, are unwilling to pay, for perfection, so we must settle for what the manufacturing tolerances provide, or pass on the purchase.

Some folks just seem to relish negativity toward those who take the time and gain the knowledge learned from actually "doing" extensive work on these Ruger Mark pistols, so we do see many "one-gun" experts with that much knowledge from experience. I sleep very well knowing that I've used my knowledge gained over many years involving these pistols to provide my customers with what they want and deserve. If that bothers others, well, it sure ain't no sweat off my two-boys, and I'll NEVER apologize for my business ethics.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The difference between 3 pounds and 4 is negligible.
No, it's actually one pound.

Negligible is actually this by dictionary definition:
"so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering"

So one pound is not negligible.

It's actually 25% of four pounds.

May not make a difference on a scoped 8 and a half pound hunting rifle.........but on a .22 pistol?

Yes, it does make a difference.

I had one of the original 1970 era Browning Challengers (not to be confused with the subsequent cheap Challenger II and III, etc. models that have come out). The trigger pull was about two pounds, maybe slightly less than two pounds.......right from the factory.

Believe me.......you could tell immediately that it was an incredibly good trigger pull.

Those were the good old days. Some of these young guys have honestly never experienced a GOOD trigger pull.

So it goes.

·
Registered
778 Posts

May not make a difference on a scoped 8 and a half pound hunting rifle.........but on a .22 pistol?

I had one of the original 1970 era Browning Challengers (not to be confused with the subsequent cheap Challenger II and III, etc. models that have come out). The trigger pull was about two pounds, maybe slightly less than two pounds.......right from the factory.

Believe me.......you could tell immediately that it was an incredibly good trigger pull.

Those were the good old days. Some of these young guys have honestly never experienced a GOOD trigger pull.

So it goes.
"Trigger pull was ABOUT two pounds"? And this is why I, much more prefer to actually measure trigger pull weight. Too many people seem to think they have a calibrated trigger pull finger and figure guess work is good enough. So, in that case 1 pound is undetectable, I've proven it way too many times on both handguns and rifles over the 50+ years I've been in business. Gages confirm FACT over fantasy, every time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Trigger pull was ABOUT two pounds"? And this is why I, much more prefer to actually measure trigger pull weight. Too many people seem to think they have a calibrated trigger pull finger and figure guess work is good enough. So, in that case 1 pound is undetectable, I've proven it way too many times on both handguns and rifles over the 50+ years I've been in business. Gages confirm FACT over fantasy, every time.
I didn't say it was never measured.

It was measured several times over the years.........always about two pounds.

Which, shockingly enough, was what my trigger finger told me as well.

:D

The first Challengers were incredibly wonderful pistols.......I don't have enough superlatives to convey how superior they were in every way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the vocabulary and math lesson.

1# might be 25% of 4# but my finger is not that sensitive or calibrated as you proclaim yours is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So it goes.

1# might be 25% of 4# but my finger is not that sensitive or calibrated as you proclaim yours is

·
Registered
83 Posts

1# might be 25% of 4# but my finger is not that sensitive or calibrated as you proclaim yours is
And that's a good thing if you're stuck with a four pound trigger pull.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts

1# might be 25% of 4# but my finger is not that sensitive or calibrated as you proclaim yours is.
My trigger finger is also NOT capable of detecting if a trigger pull weight is +/- 1-pound, and if anyone claims theirs is, there's not a reputable bone in their body. That's why I have these "professional instruments" on my bench at all times:

They just don't lie, only some posters do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts