Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post so hope this is the right place to put this thread.
Interested in either the max 380 or the lcp ll 22 lr for use as a under ten foot range defense pocket pistol.
Could anyone share their comparative experience on recoil and racking effort needed on the two. Should add I am older and find my glock 19 a bear to rack.
Would like to stay focused on just those two issues and leave caliber ballistics etc for another thread.
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a LCP II 380 one year ago. My arthritic hands start to hurt shooting the first mag from the harsh recoil.. I can shoot 20 to 30 rounds through it during a range visit before it becomes unbearable to shoot and accuracy suffers. I don't think I'm practicing enough with the the LCP 380 since it is not an easy pistol to shoot. I usually shoot 100 to 200 9mm through the Shield during a range visit with no issues.

I don't have trouble racking the slide of any pistol. RecoiI is the main issue.

I bought a 22 LR version of the LCP last month. It has very little recoil and is easy and fun to shoot. I can shoot several hundred rounds through it without pain.

As soon as I shoot 500 to 1,000 rounds through it without issue, I'll start carrying it instead of the 380. The 22 version is sensitive to ammo and I've found two 22 LR brands that are more reliable than others.

Accuracy trumps calber always.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If anyone finds a 380 ACP easier to rack and with less recoil than a 22LR, my guess is the 380 had a too weak recoil spring. I have had two micro 380s and two 22LR pistols so I am speaking from experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If anyone finds a 380 ACP easier to rack and with less recoil than a 22LR, my guess is the 380 had a too weak recoil spring. I have had two micro 380s and two 22LR pistols so I am speaking from experience.
a weak recoil spring would have MORE RECOIL, not less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had both.Started with 380 and after about 200 rounds went to 22....and stayed with it. It is the nicest pistol to shoot and quite accurate, particularly with a green laser module. Tried many different types of ammo knowing that 22 is a calibre particularly sensitive to ammunition. I even tried the new Federal Punch. Overall Vic ammunition is the most reliable. They are known for it. Federal Punch is also reliable but it is so loaded that produces unbelievable flash - like Xmas tree bright and loud too. I'm sum, for a pocket carry this is the best firearm available bar none. For a belt carry I have a Sig P365 SAS with a Holosun red dot instead of Meprolight rear sight I had a major problem in getting used to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a LCP II 380 one year ago. My arthritic hands start to hurt shooting the first mag from the harsh recoil.. I can shoot 20 to 30 rounds through it during a range visit before it becomes unbearable to shoot and accuracy suffers. I don't think I'm practicing enough with the the LCP 380 since it is not an easy pistol to shoot. I usually shoot 100 to 200 9mm through the Shield during a range visit with no issues.

I don't have trouble racking the slide of any pistol. RecoiI is the main issue.

I bought a 22 LR version of the LCP last month. It has very little recoil and is easy and fun to shoot. I can shoot several hundred rounds through it without pain.

As soon as I shoot 500 to 1,000 rounds through it without issue, I'll start carrying it instead of the 380. The 22 version is sensitive to ammo and I've found two 22 LR brands that are more reliable than others.

Accuracy trumps calber always.
Ive had a great experience with the lcpll .22.LR it like mini mag/blazer etc as you know.My first one was when they first came out and experienced a lot of problems and found Ruger customer service excellent, so good they replaced it and the new one has been fantastic just wanted to share my experience !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interested in either the max 380 or the lcp ll 22 lr for use as a under ten foot range defense pocket pistol.
Could anyone share their comparative experience on recoil and racking effort needed on the two. Should add I am older and find my glock 19 a bear to rack.
Would like to stay focused on just those two issues and leave caliber ballistics etc for another thread.
Mine has been fabulous, using mini mag/blazer/etc has to be good high velocity ammo, and ruger customer service is fantastic also !

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both. The LCP II 22 is called a "Lite Rack" for a good reason. It's very easy to rack and has no appreciable recoil. Given the right ammunition, I'm sure it would be an effective deterrent. Remember the goal is to get someone off of you, not to apprehend them. The LCP Max uses a stronger spring to manage recoil and takes a bit more effort to rack. It has more recoil than the 22 but I don't find it difficult to shoot. However, your mileage may vary. You may be able to find a range that will rent one to you to try out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts