Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Mark III 22/45 without any doubt it is one of my favorite rimfires. I have learned so much from this Ruger Mark series 22LR and will NEVER give it up.
*With that said last night attempting to reassemble it after some cleaning I ran into a head ache getting it to go back together. I had to just put it down and step back wait a bit and this morning I gave it one more try and it went back together without issue. Just a matter of tipping up before assembly. NO issues now.
*I will NOW put to the top of my list a new MARK IV and semi retire my beloved Mark III 22/45.
*Thinking about getting the same model in a Mark IV but open to suggestions.
Old pic...
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gas Gun accessory

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, it certainly is a proven fact that the Mark IV pistols are much easier to get the upper back onto the receiver. You have hurdled over the major stumbling block that most Mark I,II & III pistols need understand, and that's getting that dang hammer strut positioned properly over the concave plunger in the mainspring housing assembly, once the hammer has been pushed forward as far as it will go.
If you don't have a Mark IV as yet, I think myself and several others would recommend owning at least one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the MK IV 22/45 Target model and have ran 4000+ rounds through it so far with no problems. It feeds anything I feed it but has mainly been of a diet of the Remington Golden Bullets. It will run dirty longer on them than any other brand before I have to clean it. I would not get the lite model. From all that I have read about them they seem to have more issues than the standard models.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the MK IV 22/45 Target model and have ran 4000+ rounds through it so far with no problems. It feeds anything I feed it but has mainly been of a diet of the Remington Golden Bullets. It will run dirty longer on them than any other brand before I have to clean it. I would not get the lite model. From all that I have read about them they seem to have more issues than the standard models.
Yep.........they make all others obsolete.

Quite accurate, too.

I gave the black one a workout today.

I started out hitting a little to the right and slowly adjusted the sight.

Lots of fun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Were you shooting off hand or off of a rest?
Oh, with a rest and sitting down.

I'll be 75 years old in about a month. I could never shoot like that off hand.

In fact.......here's a pic of my offhand shooting. This was at ten to 15 yards.

This is a copy of an old collectible Winchester target that I got at an estate sale many years ago and made a bunch of copies for practice.

Reactions: rhodester2000

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, just curious. Decent shooting even with a rest. Shooting mine off hand at 25 yards I can keep everything inside of a 6" circle but for self defense purposes it would be a lot closer than 25 yards and I probably would be using something other than my MK IV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, with a rest and sitting down.

I'll be 75 years old in about a month. I could never shoot like that off hand.

In fact.......here's a pic of my offhand shooting. This was at ten to 15 yards.

This is a copy of an old collectible Winchester target that I got at an estate sale many years ago and made a bunch of copies for practice.

I'd say you are doing good! I'm 71 and certainly need to work harder at shooting well than I did years ago!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd say you are doing good! I'm 71 and certainly need to work harder at shooting well than I did years ago!
Thanks.

Here's yesterday's work. More offhand. Offhand is work, which is why I like shooting with a rest better.

:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
"Yep.......they make all others obsolete" Not hardly, that's hilarious.

This Ruger Mark III Hunter is FAR from being obsolete, once a Mark III owner gets the hang of take-down and reassembly, even a "cave-man" can do it. Easey Peasey! :

One of my BEST performing Ruger handguns.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Yep.......they make all others obsolete" Not hardly, that's hilarious.

This Ruger Mark III Hunter is FAR from being obsolete, once a Mark III owner gets the hang of take-down and reassembly, even a "cave-man" can do it. Easey Peasey! :

One of my BEST performing Ruger handguns.

I don't know ANYBODY in real life who says takedown of the old style MK I, II and III is "easy peasy."

Most seem to regard them as a pain in the........neck.

That may not make them totally obsolete by any means.......but it has caused a lot of people to abandon the old for the new.

I love the easy takedown of the MKIV. Ruger finally fixed the problem.

Keeping it simple and reducing pain is always the best course.

But that IS a real purdy pistola ya got there!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know ANYBODY in real life who says takedown of the old style MK I, II and III is "easy peasy."

Most seem to regard them as a pain in the........neck.

That may not make them totally obsolete by any means.......but it has caused a lot of people to abandon the old for the new.

I love the easy takedown of the MKIV. Ruger finally fixed the problem.

Keeping it simple and reducing pain is always the best course.

But that IS a real purdy pistola ya got there!!!
My MK III 22/45 each have a "speed strip" in them from Majestic Arms. Gives me options! I like Options! I agree a stock Mk i,II or III is not "easy" like a MK IV but it can be done simply if you practice and have some patience. I have an AR (not sure why?) and an AK. If I thought ease of maintenance was the top priority the AR would have been thrown out years ago!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My MK III 22/45 each have a "speed strip" in them from Majestic Arms. Gives me options! I like Options! I agree a stock Mk i,II or III is not "easy" like a MK IV but it can be done simply if you practice and have some patience. I have an AR (not sure why?) and an AK. If I thought ease of maintenance was the top priority the AR would have been thrown out years ago!
I have neither the patience or the time to "practice."

I'm old and will die soon.

I hadn't heard of your Majestic Arms speed strip, but I don't need it any more.

I have the ultimate in the MKIV.

:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Those who complain about dis and then reassembly of ANY of the Mark I, II, III & 22/45 versions DON'T have the patience, or willingness to LEARN what it takes to understand what's involved with take-down, therefore, the availability of products to serve a problem the doesn't exist.
Saves money quite often when the manual is actually read to find out about how a purchased firearm actually works. That way, more is spent on ammunition rather than some gizmo. But, as always, to each his own.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those who complain about dis and then reassembly of ANY of the Mark I, II, III & 22/45 versions DON'T have the patience, or willingness to LEARN what it takes to understand what's involved with take-down, therefore, the availability of products to serve a problem the doesn't exist.
Saves money quite often when the manual is actually read to find out about how a purchased firearm actually works. That way, more is spent on ammunition rather than some gizmo. But, as always, to each his own.
No.

Those lucky people who are gifted with mechanical things and the uncanny ability to sense how they work often seem to think that anybody can LEARN ANYTHING.

It has nothing to do with WILLINGNESS. I know from bitter experience and many, many attempts that I will break, destroy, lose parts and generally come to a disastrous end if I try to take things apart.

(And there is no hope that I can EVER remember how to put them together.)

Anything more complicated than field stripping a Glock is pretty much beyond me. I CAN blunder my way through the basic field strip of a 1911, but it's not anything you'd want to watch. It would make you crazy.

No, I have a good gunsmith and I appreciate his genius and he appreciates my money.

I suspect there are a few more like me out here. Which is why you make a good living.

;)

Reactions: LMB

·
Registered
29 Posts
No.

Those lucky people who are gifted with mechanical things and the uncanny ability to sense how they work often seem to think that anybody can LEARN ANYTHING.

It has nothing to do with WILLINGNESS. I know from bitter experience and many, many attempts that I will break, destroy, lose parts and generally come to a disastrous end if I try to take things apart.

(And there is no hope that I can EVER remember how to put them together.)

Anything more complicated than field stripping a Glock is pretty much beyond me. I CAN blunder my way through the basic field strip of a 1911, but it's not anything you'd want to watch. It would make you crazy.

No, I have a good gunsmith and I appreciate his genius and he appreciates my money.

I suspect there are a few more like me out here. Which is why you make a good living.

;)
Some people have trouble tying their own shoes, so they made velcro ones! The MK IV was made to help many people who did not feel comfortable stripping the firearm etc. Ruger received thousands of complaints on it, and hence the redesign that focused primarily on easy of field stripping. I'd say, it was a "legitimate problem" in the eys of many. Where there is a need, someone will provide an answer. I have my MKIII and if I had to buy it again, it would be a MK IV just because it is simpler to maintain. It is just not worth it $$ to me at this point in life to spend the money etc. So, I deal with the MK III 22/45 and have managed to do fine. Enjoy the MK IV!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, I can vouch only for my experience with many of MY customers who own Ruger Mark pistols. They also, at first claimed that they were incapable of working on their own Ruger Mark pistol and I don't care which version is picked.
I have sat them down next to me at my bench and we have gone through complete disassembly, and then reverse, or full assembly until they got it! Man, were they happy to find out it was all that easy. People, and gun owners SET their own limitations, no excuses. Try telling your D.I. that " I just don't understand it Sir, how to get my M-14 back together." Wonder where his left boot would end up?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts