Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Ruger Mark II enthusiast since the mid 1980s and have had my current Mark II Target Model since about 1988. I have had many hours of pleasure with it and have used it to teach my children how to shoot and how to be safe with handguns. Many years of flawless operation. After not shooting for a while, I recently went to the range and experienced my first ever failure to fire. This occurred midway through the magazine and happened periodically with subsequent magazines. The Mark II was hardly dirty, but I field stripped it and gave it a good clean. I went back to the range and the same thing happened. Since I am aware of the over travel screw issue, mine is located in the face of the trigger, I backed it out a bit and tried several more magazines. This time the hammer failed to reset only twice over five more magazines.
Question: Would there be any issues if I removed the over travel screw completely? Is there an easy and non-destructive method of polishing the surface of the inner frame where the disconnector rides against?

All thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

toml55421

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum. To answer your question yes you can remove the overtravel screw and it would not hurt anything. Have you installed the Volquartsen kit in your MK II? If you did the most likely reset problem is the trigger return spring. The Volksquartsen spring is lighter than the original one. If you put your original one back in the trigger reset problem will probably go away.

You can polish the area of the frame where the disconnector rubs with a Dremel and a polishing pad with some polishing compound like Flitz or something equal. You would have to take the disconnector out of the frame to polish the frame and while you are at it I would polish the backside of the disconnector too.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That over-travel screw in the triggers front face can really be a PITA to adjust. The screw itself would be easily misplaced if it were taken completely out of the trigger, so I would suggest that you screw it in deeper so that the exposed end of the screw has no contact with the grip frame. That way it will always be there and not get lost.
Polishing the disconnectors right side face and then the face inside the receiver where the disconnector rides, should cause more good than harm. You can get along just fine if you use some #400 grit emery paper to polish those interacting parts, and that action will keep each area flat. Use of any moto-tool can create a wavy surface if not done properly, and that might defeat your goal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. If I screw the over travel screw in deeper, it will only ever contact the rear part of the trigger guard. I should have said earlier that the over travel screw is in the face of the exposed part of the trigger which extends into the trigger guard. Also, will using Flitz on a microfiber towel to polish my inner frame and disconnector be enough?

·
Registered
554 Posts
OK, I was thinking that you were using the "factory trigger" which has the OT screw in the front face of the trigger:

Apparently you have an aftermarket trigger. Which one? Does it have BOTH pre and over-travel screws? Won't hurt to remove the screw in the trigger shoe face, you will just end up with more over-travel after the hammer drops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SGW, you are one, valuable resource! Your comment about an aftermarket trigger forced me to think back 25-30 years. I getting to be on the shorter side of 70 years old, but I do remember buying a Volquartsen target grip back then and I bet I bought an early Volquartsen trigger as well. Anyway, in the next week or so I plan on completely disassembling my Mark II and see what's what. I believe there is just the over travel screw in the face of the trigger blade, but I will find out for certain.

Do you think using Flitz with a microfiber cloth is enough to polish the right-hand side of the inner frame as well as the corresponding side of the disconnector?

·
Registered
554 Posts
SGW, you are one, valuable resource! Your comment about an aftermarket trigger forced me to think back 25-30 years. I getting to be on the shorter side of 70 years old, but I do remember buying a Volquartsen target grip back then and I bet I bought an early Volquartsen trigger as well. Anyway, in the next week or so I plan on completely disassembling my Mark II and see what's what. I believe there is just the over travel screw in the face of the trigger blade, but I will find out for certain.

Do you think using Flitz with a microfiber cloth is enough to polish the right-hand side of the inner frame as well as the corresponding side of the disconnector?

Here is a picture of my "bowling-pin shooter", it has the early Volquartsen trigger in it. Some refer to this trigger as the "paddle" style, and was discontinued because the sides of the paddle extended a bit on each side of the trigger guard:

To answer your question: No, there is no take up adjustment screw in those early VC triggers, only the over-travel screw.
Flitz is a good product for polishing parts, but is not aggressive enough, nor designed to remove metal, just polish the surface.
You will usually find burrs around the pivot pin holes created by the drilling process, on the inside face of the grip frame where the disconnector rides. You might consider first, using some #400 grit emery paper to run that over the inside face of the grip frame where the disconnector rides until you no longer feel any burrs or rough areas. When that's done, then it's time for the use of the Flitz and an old piece of cotton T-shirt to polish that side up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts