Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a red dot site to my Mark 1 bull barrel. Have found several choices on using the rear site dovetail to mount the red dot. Just wonder if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers on the best way to proceed . Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a dovetail mount to put a red dot sight on my MK II and it has worked well for me so far. There are several companies that make the dovetail sight mount for the Ruger pistols. I included a link to one to look at. I used a Bushnell TRS 25 on mine and it works ok. The only thing I don't like is it is a little big physically if I ever change it out I will probably go with something a little smaller like maybe a Vortex Venom

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

ruger mk 1 rear sight dovetail mount - Bing

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to add a red dot site to my Mark 1 bull barrel. Have found several choices on using the rear site dovetail to mount the red dot. Just wonder if anyone has done this and could give me some pointers on the best way to proceed . Thanks in advance.
Hello
Why do you want to remove the rear sight, why not use the picatinny rail, to high??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Remembering from past digging, there was a red dot mount listed to fit both the Mark pistol and the P-Series. That seemed to indicate that those share the same dove tail cut. Not that anything for P-Series pistols is plentiful... But there was nothing indicating any crossover fitment with the later striker fired pistols. That would seem to imply that the dove tail pattern for the later striker fired pistols is different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The mark 1 's aren't drilled for a picatinny rail . So I was exploring options . Volquartsen has a mount that uses the rear site dovetail . It's like a mini 1 inch long picatinny rail.
Hello, I have a Mark II bull barell. Shipped it to Ruger in AZ, they installed a Picatinny mount for $65 fixed the balky safety, cleaned gun and returned it (FFL) . Then I installed a Fastfire III , works perfect

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I bought my Mark 1 in 1979. Soon after I had a local gunsmith mount a Thompson center contender scope mount. Then I believe the only choice of scopes were a 1.5x or a 3x TC lobo. I had both. I had a target trigger installed but it only had over all travel.Also installed Pachmeyer grips. Was and still is a great shooter. .Always attracted a lot of attention a the range. Recently I field stripped it and gave it the best cleaning I'd ever given it. Just thinking about modernizing it with a red dot. A picatinny rail would be the way to go . There are a lot of dovetail mounts that would work but they are specific to the red dot. The Volquartsen dovetail mini rail would probably be the easiest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts