Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using one of those holsters that has the high friction rubbery outside, but I found I'm generally only grabbing my lcp when I need to pocket carry, and that ended up being way too thick in the pocket for my liking. So I made this very simple kydex cover to cover the trigger guard and laser switch. I'm pretty happy with it so far, with the primary downside being that it is too difficult to draw and remove it one-handed. I can certainly do it when practicing, but it is not an ideal motion. I have to move my grip on the pistol to be between thumb and forefinger across the top-rear, and then lever it downward and off with that index finger. It's really not advisable to have a plan that requires that high of risk on dropping the pistol - I would really prefer something where you keep a firing grip on the gun. So I may think on this some more and tweak the design. Any suggestions on that?
Here are some pics:

Neck Black hair Hobo bag
Gun Starting pistol Airsoft gun Gun accessory

I found that working with kydex was very simple, but I did take a few tries. It's easy to heat the stuff back up and reshape it. I started with thin cardboard to mock up the correct shape, and then cut the kydex with some tin snips. I sanded down the edges with a dremel, and then heated and shaped it. Used a heat gun for a minute and wore some leather gloves so I could hold it in place while it cooled a minute.
I bought a 12" x 12" x .060" sheet from Amazon for cheap, and used it to make a holster for the LCP, my Quark Mini flashlight, and Leatherman wave. Still have over half the sheet left :)
If you're curious, this is the shape I used for the flashlight:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Nice job, but I am curious on how fast you could get to it in a SD situation. Maybe drill a hole in it with a HD string that connects to a belt so when you draw the holster comes off? Just a thought.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like to see what simple innovations folks can come up with for a holster, in this case a trigger guard. Have read and heard some folks say they don't like to carry in their front pockets using a holster but the problem is that your trigger is left uncovered which could lead to even bigger problems. I like this little problem solver. No holster, but trigger covered if you like to carry without a holster. Still might print in some pants. Probably a market for this type of thing if worked on a bit and made easy to remove the trigger guard.

How bout extending the kydex just on the trigger finger side back further over the pistol grip so that it extends maybe all the way to be even with the back of the slide. Was thinking that when you grip the pistol with your grip fingers and squeeze, it would force that part of the kydex that I'm suggesting to extend, back into your palm in between your thumb and trigger finger and would force/push off the trigger guard as you grip the pistol.

Also maybe on the non-trigger finger side you could bend out a small tab of the kydex that your thumb could engage and use as a push off. How long it would need to be may take some experimenting.

I like playing around with kydex too. It's so easy to shape and as you say reshape. If this little trigger guard ever got a little loose, anyone could just apply some heat and bend it in, let 'er cool and voila, tight cover again. Thinkin' on experimenting on one for my little Keltec P32. Perhaps after you get it worked out you might try sellin' 'em.

Thanks for sharing your idea and the photos,
Uncle George

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How about making the top length on the body side about 1/4-3/8 longer, maybe even a 1/2. Then fold that extra piece down towards the muzzle end. That extra thickness could serve as a thumb push off maybe. Grab the grip and push the thumb push off to get the gun out. In reality you only need about 1/2 the width at the top with the extra piece, and not the entire thing. Just enough to get your thumb on it. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
super glue some velcro (hook side) to the Kydex, and sew a matching patch of velcro (Pile side) to the inside of your pocket. When you are pocket carrying the hook/pile mate up and when you draw the LCP the Kydex will stay in the pocket.

JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.