Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frustrating....is Ruger trying out for the General Motors of gun makers? Not reliable on delivery but hey! We'll fix it.

With my 380 LCP II, I had to go through two iterations with Ruger to get it running right. And thankfully now it's running great.

The .22lr version had been working fine. Put it in a case, drove from FL to NV. Took it to a Vegas range right our of the case and it ran ok for a couple mags, then started light striking like mad. I was running CCI mimimags and velocitors as well as Aguila. I got light strikes on all of it. I just quit using it in frustration and went back to the 380 and my Security9. Upon examining the light strike rounds, they barely had any nick on the rims at all.

The gun was clean and maybe too well oiled.

I'll see what Ruger has to say. .22lr may not be the most robust cartridge, but in this case, the brands were top notch and the gun wimped out.

Security 9 has been a solid citizen after some startup stovepipes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Bummer you are having problems. So the weapon worked fine until you cleaned and messed with it. That's what I gathered from your post. And now you blame the weapon and want Ruger to tell you what you may have done wrong. This is from your words not mine.
maybe next time spend the less than 5 min. it takes and flush out all the extra lube and function test the weapon again. Then you could maybe post a positive post instead of a woe is me post. Just think what the guy or gal at ruger will think when they ask you what you tried and you say nothing. Denny

·
Registered
430 Posts
I found that both the range LCPII 22LR's had few if any lite strikes if any when I tested them. Both seem to run many brands of ammo and I decided to get one. Ordered last week and it is due here this week. Hopefully I will be able to field test and report soon on what I come up with. Outside of the two range guns I tested several times my neighbor has had hers since they came out so I asked about lite strikes and she reported very few using Mini Mags, CCI Blazer, Aquila and even SV CCI. Who knows what issue you have with lite strikes but keep me informed on the issue if you can with what you have tried. If you contact Ruger after continuing troubleshooting let us know what they come up with.
Peace Favor Your Sword!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the problem. I field stripped it, wiped it down, and I noticed the firing pin was sticking out of the strike surface in the slide. I grabbed the tip with tweezers and about 3 or 4 mm of the firing pin came out. Broken firing pin! Ruger sending the replacement parts.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow! Interesting to hear this again. I believe someone else here may have had similar issues. Anyway good for Ruger getting you a part in the mail. That pin did not last very long!
Good luck. Thanks for the data...Peace Favor Your Sword...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I told them I dry fire it a lot.....they said so what, that's why we make the firing PIN out of titanium.

I get free parts and learn how to change out a firing pin. Lesson applies to the 380 LCP II as well, where I have replaced an extractor a couple of times.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't take the chance of the firing pin damaging the chamber when dry firing. I use drywall anchors, here is a video and the info is at about 1:25. Denny

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my parts from Ruger to replace the broken pin, the spring and the retainer pin.

As you can see below, the spring they sent was substantially longer, a notch bigger in diameter and much stiffer than the one I had in the gun as purchased.

You can also see the broken firing pin and the broken off tip and then it's replacement.

I did the replacement with the larger spring but boy that pin could barely move with the longer, bigger, stiffer spring. I would've needed a stronger hammer spring to get that to budge. I pulled the big spring and replaced it with the original spring and it returned to the feel I had know (pretty easy to depress the firing pin with a finger tip.)

Gonna call Ruger and give them a heads up about that incorrect spring. I believe it was an LCP 380 firing pin spring. While the part number for the firing pin clearly indicated it was for .22lr, the spring did not.

·
Registered
592 Posts
@wsitgm - Good information. Thank you for following up!
I'm planning on buying an LCP II .22LR this summer.
If I experience light strikes, I'll know what to check first! :pride::fat:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for the update and information. My new LCPII 22LR is on the bench and getting ready for the range for first testing. Good information and keep us updated.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Defensive guns should work EVERY time straight out of the box....PERIOD! I am a Glock/Sig Sauer police armorer and we test thousands of weapons before issuing them to our members. I can count on one hand the number of returns to the factory because we will not accept the weapon even though we can fix it!

Ruger LCP has become a "Saturday night special" gun with very poor workmanship. Our agency now forbids the carrying of the LCP, we have had over 100 malfunctions of the LCP carried for off-duty/backup purposes. The gun is JUNK!!!! For the folks who have one that ALWAYS works, keep it. If it malfunctions for any reason, do not carry it and risk your life. I have gone back to the J frame .38, even though my Generation 1 does function flawlessly under ideal conditions. However, when firing from practical and possible defensive positions( falling back, limp wrist from attack, one hand etc.) I have experienced problems.
I don't care how good their customer service is, the product should work straight from the factory. I sometimes wonder how much "testing" they actually do prior to shipping!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pretty snarky remark there, Denny. The guy had a broken firing pin, Mr Know it all. I think an apology is in order and maybe you shouldn't reply at all if you can't be nice.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is a firing pin issue on the LCPII 22LR and the OP has been informative as usual and I appreciate it. Just received ours and it has been checked and readied for the range. Have some mini-mags and others to try. Extra mags due on Thursday and really looking forward to testing it. Post #11 is curious to me regarding the LCP series in general.
PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't care how good their customer service is, the product should work straight from the factory. I sometimes wonder how much "testing" they actually do prior to shipping!
I have to agree with this....Ruger seems to be drifting in the direction of letting the customer be the "final test". Oh they'll fix it, but you have the inconvenience of sorting it all out. Reminds me of the philosophy of General Motors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The thing that bothers me most is that Ruger took (copied) a design from a little known gun manufacturer in Florida (Kel-Tec) and other than making it look more finished, they did not improve it one bit! I would argue that the Kel-Tecs, as cheaply as they appear to be, are more reliable than many of these Rugers. Ruger should really be ashamed of themselves for putting out what is clearly a self defense pistol that folks use to defend themselves that have so many malfunctions and are in need of so many trips back to the factory.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry but for as frustrating as Ruger quality has been of late, Kel Tec has a much grander reputation for poor quality. Watch the P17 reports.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm sorry but for as frustrating as Ruger quality has been of late, Kel Tec has a much grander reputation for poor quality. Watch the P17 reports.

For sure, I would not bet my life on a Kel-Tec either. I had a Kel-Tec .32 (P32?) years ago and it functioned flawlessly but I am aware of their poor quality control in general. I guess mu point is, since Ruger copied the Kel-Tec, and had opportunities to see the flaws, you think they would have made it far more reliable. Such a shame because it is a great little pocket gun as far as size and caliber.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I read through this whole interesting thread and the main thing that bothers me is what was mentioned about Ruger using "titanium" as the base material for these firing pins. Even many of the aftermarket folks who once made titanium firing pins are now backing off from that practice. Titanium doesn't take repeated shock very well and over a very short period of time the tips on titanium firing pins will begin to crystallize and crumble.
I've noticed this on 1911 style pistols when owners have swapped out the steel firing pins in lieu of the lighter titanium style to gain faster "lock-time", due to the lighter weight of the titanium pins. They soon go back to a steel firing pin to get more durability.

As for dry firing ANY .22 rimfire firearm. I've been a long-time proponent of using the #4-6 yellow plastic dry wall anchors and have made that known on several rimfire web-sites for the last 10+ years. This practice comes from seeing way too many chamber mouth dings from firing pins traveling too far and hitting the chamber mouth:

Reactions: rclark28

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read through this whole interesting thread and the main thing that bothers me is what was mentioned about Ruger using "titanium" as the base material for these firing pins. Even many of the aftermarket folks who once made titanium firing pins are now backing off from that practice. Titanium doesn't take repeated shock very well and over a very short period of time the tips on titanium firing pins will begin to crystallize and crumble.
I've noticed this on 1911 style pistols when owners have swapped out the steel firing pins in lieu of the lighter titanium style to gain faster "lock-time", due to the lighter weight of the titanium pins. They soon go back to a steel firing pin to get more durability.

As for dry firing ANY .22 rimfire firearm. I've been a long-time proponent of using the #4-6 yellow plastic dry wall anchors and have made that known on several rimfire web-sites for the last 10+ years. This practice comes from seeing way too many chamber mouth dings from firing pins traveling too far and hitting the chamber mouth:

Good information thanks. Interesting and good observation on the firing issue.
*When and if I do dry fire a .22 rimfire I have made it a point to use the #4-6 yellow plastic dry wall anchors too. For me it is are a good practice to avoid as many issues as I can. They will cycle in a auto too for testing and I do not dry fire without them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@wsitgm - Good information. Thank you for following up!
I'm planning on buying an LCP II .22LR this summer.
If I experience light strikes, I'll know what to check first! :pride::fat:
I just purchased the LCP II 22lr and have only shot it once so far. It did great, but tomorrow will be test day. After buying it, as soon as I got home with it, I took it apart and cleaned it really good with CLP, then oiled it. I always take all of my guns apart and clean them before first use. Some companies use this nasty preservative to keep them from rusting. I make sure I get all that stuff off asap.
So far I LOVE this gun! I'm 55, have little hand strength & arthritis in my shoulder. I'm also pretty small, 113 lbs. I have larger guns, etc but I enjoy shooting my 22's more than anything. This one is actually concealable on me and that's difficult when you're small.
I read about some of the issues with this and purchased some upgrades and extra magazines before shooting. After really putting some rounds thru it tomorrow, I'll know if I need to add the upgrades.
My Upgrades:
I got the extra power recoil spring and stainless steel guide rod hoping the stronger spring would eliminate the light strike issue. I also got a trigger kit and a new (stronger) takedown pin. I've heard the original tends to break or back out after a while.
Happy shooting everyone! 💥💥💥🔫

1 - 20 of 20 Posts