Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pops wants to get a home defense/plinking handgun. I had a few ideas pop into my head... but I forgot he shoots left handed (ambidextrous, so I didn't even think about it) which leads my question:
Is a sr9 left hand compatible?
If not, could you make it left hand compatible?
I know with training, anything will work for anybody, but a gun that's fun to shoot promotes more practice (IMHO)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The SR9 is pretty lefty friendly...ambidextrous thumb safety and mag release. The slide release is set up for right thumb use (on the left side) but, with a little practice, can be manipulated with the index finger of the left hand when holding the pistol in the left hand.

The S&W M&P has ambidextrous controls and can be purchased with or without ambi thumb safety. There are a few other non-Ruger pistols that are lefty friendly as well.

Being a lefty myself, one of my pet gripes is guns being not as lefty friendly as they could be.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Kudzu; Any issues for Lefties with ejection ports being on the right?

Snewk
Not too often for me, Snewk. On a few occasions I've had casings land on my head...even had one or two drop down between my glasses and cheek...that gets your attention in a hurry! Also had a few drop on my head or down the collar of my shirt.

Most ejection port problems - though few - have occurred when shooting Isosceles, so probably a left side port would not have made any difference, all things being equal. Nowadays, I tend to shoot more Weaver or modified Weaver, which tends to get the ejection port a little more to my right and more out of the way, so to speak. That's not the reason I switched to Weaver; I did so because I can get better sight alignment and improved accuracy with my progressive lenses.

Reactions: Snewk

·
Registered
208 Posts
SR series pistols are lefty friendly.

Mostly us lefty types are more "adaptable" then all others. 'Cause we be in our right minds, and have much higher skill levels.

Just say'n. :icon_ devil::icon_ devil:

Reactions: Snewk
1 - 6 of 6 Posts