Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western Pa. Check with Harbor freight they one at cheaper price and their tools are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Just getting my LCR, I reviewed a lot on this subject, and quite frankly will go with the advice of just tightening snugly with common sense not to over tighten. You've done this before with many things. If you are concerned with it becoming loose just check it more often. I am not going to spend that kind of money to tighten one screw.
I'm sure that most home "mechanics" have little to no idea how much torque they are applying to a screw. Sometimes it's important to get the torque right. A torque wrench (applicable to the job at hand, of course) would be good for someone to use to learn the feel of particular torque settings even if they don't care to use a torque wrench all the time.

I have and use the Wheeler tool, by the way. I use it mostly when working on delicate items.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If they supply a torque spec. use it. It is so easy to over tighten a small screw. Unless you have worked with torque wrenches for years, How do you know what 8nm or 14 inch pounds feels like. Harbor freight has a 1/4 inch torque wrench for $10 when on sale. One of the kids at the shop bought one and we tested it against my $250 snap-on wrench. It was spot on! It might not be as handy as the wheeler screwdriver handle model but it will get the job done.
You could always find a friend with the proper tool and get a feel for how tight it feels. That will get you close next time. Den

·
Registered
109 Posts
It does appear to me that the "Crane Pivot Screw" is pretty important to get right on torque.
So while you're at it. The Fire Control Housing Retaining Screw doesn't hurt to torque correct.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Loctite in not a magic fix. You still need to check screws once in a while. Unless you mark the screw head! An ex-sniper taught me to mark my scope mounting screws with a paint dot. Then you can just glance at your weapon and know you are good to go. This will work with the revolver screw you are fussing with. I have mounted optics that cost 3X what the rifle cost and a $12 scope. They both get tightened with a torque wrench. Unless you are in the field, there is only one right way to tighten a weapon screw. den

1 - 6 of 6 Posts