Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago we bought another GEN2 and tossed it in the safe for a rainy day. But because my fear has grown stronger [that Ruger may soon discontinue it] I decided to pickup another today.

Called a dozen shops within 60 minutes of us and only three had any in stock, the others said they've been on backorder and haven't been able to get them. Most all told me that Ruger has [or is] going to stop producing them.

Ok, back to my story...

One shop had one, one had two, and the other had four...so I headed to the shop that had four. And as I'm looking over the one he pulled new out of the box for me, I noticed a few things...

- Vertical machining marks on the slide.
- Mag release spring was really weak and would actually stay depressed.
- Roll pin on the top rear of slide was sticking up flush with top of slide.
- Outside edges of the feed ramp were sloppily finished.
- Uneven machining on the top of the rear sight.
- Rear lower outside edges of the slide (at the rails) were not finished the same on both sides.

As all of this is being absorbed, I noticed the slide was stamped RUGER-MAYODAN-NC-USA. What the heck, didn't even know they made LCP's at the new Mayodan plant! The serial numbers were 372007xxx.

We own four GEN2's and know none of that could have gotten past me, so I headed out to the truck to find out. Took the LCP out of my pocket, unloaded it, and gave it a close look over. And aside from holster wear, it was absolutely perfect. No machining marks, a strong mag release spring, recessed roll pin, nicely finished feed ramp, perfectly machined rear sight, and nicely finished in the rear.

Called the shop that had two and asked if they could look and tell me where they were made...Prescott, AZ!!! So I headed over to the shop and closely looked them both over...they were perfect. A big smile came over my face.

A short 15 minutes later I was off and running. The boys [cattle dogs] were hungry and had been very patient, so I bought them each a chicken sandwich and me an iced tea. Then set the SiriusXM to "The Bridge" and enjoyed a nice relaxing drive home.

Anyone else notice a difference between Mayodan and Prescott? Or did I just happen across a few that were made 10 minutes to 5 on the Friday before the Superbowl...or on Monday morning [post Superbowl party]?

And ps - When did they start making LCP's in Mayodan?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
A few weeks ago we bought another GEN2 and tossed it in the safe for a rainy day. But because my fear has grown stronger [that Ruger may soon discontinue it] I decided to pickup another today.

Called a dozen shops within 60 minutes of us and only three had any in stock, the others said they've been on backorder and haven't been able to get them. Most all told me that Ruger has [or is] going to stop producing them.

Ok, back to my story...

One shop had one, one had two, and the other had four...so I headed to the shop that had four. And as I'm looking over the one he pulled new out of the box for me, I noticed a few things...

- Vertical machining marks on the slide.
- Mag release spring was really weak and would actually stay depressed.
- Roll pin on the top rear of slide was sticking up flush with top of slide.
- Outside edges of the feed ramp were sloppily finished.
- Uneven machining on the top of the rear sight.
- Rear lower outside edges of the slide (at the rails) were not finished the same on both sides.

As all of this is being absorbed, I noticed the slide was stamped RUGER-MAYODAN-NC-USA. What the heck, didn't even know they made LCP's at the new Mayodan plant! The serial numbers were 372007xxx.

We own four GEN2's and know none of that could have gotten past me, so I headed out to the truck to find out. Took the LCP out of my pocket, unloaded it, and gave it a close look over. And aside from holster wear, it was absolutely perfect. No machining marks, a strong mag release spring, recessed roll pin, nicely finished feed ramp, perfectly machined rear sight, and nicely finished in the rear.

Called the shop that had two and asked if they could look and tell me where they were made...Prescott, AZ!!! So I headed over to the shop and closely looked them both over...they were perfect. A big smile came over my face.

A short 15 minutes later I was off and running. The boys [cattle dogs] were hungry and had been very patient, so I bought them each a chicken sandwich and me an iced tea. Then set the SiriusXM to "The Bridge" and enjoyed a nice relaxing drive home.

Anyone else notice a difference between Mayodan and Prescott? Or did I just happen across a few that were made 10 minutes to 5 on the Friday before the Superbowl...or on Monday morning [post Superbowl party]?

And ps - When did they start making LCP's in Mayodan?
They use to make a Ruger lookalike in NC. It was called something else but I cannot think off the top of my head what it was. It looked just like a LCP. I wonder if it is possible someone got a hold of them and counterfeited them? Update, It was called the "Hellcat". They later. it seems had the Hellcat ll made in Monroe NC. This is just a wild guess so don't take my word for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts