Ruger Pistol Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
spridell---I, too, noticed my springs were a little bent on the first cleaning. Overall, the consensus seems to be that mildly bent springs are nothing to worry about.
There are some folks on this forum I pay close attention to because they REALLY seem to know their stuff. If I express concern over some aspect of a gun and they tell me it's nothing to be concerned about, I take it at face value and I stop worrying about it unless something comes up to make me change my mind. One of those people is RICHGCOOP. That guy has forgotten more about pistol innards than I'll ever know. If he says bent springs aren't a cause for concern because guide rods allow them to perform properly, I'm going to stop worrying about them. YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I got my new ruger lcp2 last week, cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday, shot 70 rounds through it, one failure to eject which is no big deal. I was happy with the new trigger and all. Took it back home to clean it and boom,both the inner and outter recoil springs are slightly bent right from the end of the guide rod, roughly 15 degrees off. I just wonder if this is normal or should I give Ruger a call, I also have an old lcp shot it plenty but the springs are perfectly straight. (when I cleaned my lcp2 the first time I did take the springs off the guide rod but I don't think it matters which way you put them back in since they are the same size at both ends.)
I got my new LCP II on the 12th. Shot it the first time on the 21st. Ran 3 mags through it. Didn't eject 1 shell and a failure to lock the slide open on the last shot once. Reloaded my 2, 7 round mags. Shot first one through. Shot twice out of the second clip and BAM! NOTHING! Spent shell in the chamber. Cleared that. Tried again. Nothing. Cleared everything and field stripped it. Couldn't see anything wrong. Put her BACK together and tried once more. Nothing. Reverse process AGAIN. This time I took the springs off the guide pin and found both recoil springs bent. I was MADDDDD!!!! The guy at Fireline said he's never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
spridell---I, too, noticed my springs were a little bent on the first cleaning. Overall, the consensus seems to be that mildly bent springs are nothing to worry about.
My springs bent and my gun wouldn't do ANYTHING!!! So in my opinion, bent springs ARE a big deal. I was NOTTTT happy. It was my first time shooting my gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The original post about bent recoil springs was posted back in 2017. looks like the problem still exists.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the forum Anne Hause! I seriously doubt that a slightly bent recoil spring is causing a problem with your weapon. If you could, please describe your weapon malfunction with words other than "wouldn't do anything" and "nothing". I personally don't know what you are talking about. Many of us want to help but we need more info to go on. Denny

21 - 27 of 27 Posts