Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I got my new ruger lcp2 last week, cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday, shot 70 rounds through it, one failure to eject which is no big deal. I was happy with the new trigger and all. Took it back home to clean it and boom,both the inner and outter recoil springs are slightly bent right from the end of the guide rod, roughly 15 degrees off. I just wonder if this is normal or should I give Ruger a call, I also have an old lcp shot it plenty but the springs are perfectly straight. (when I cleaned my lcp2 the first time I did take the springs off the guide rod but I don't think it matters which way you put them back in since they are the same size at both ends.)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Give Ruger a call (336-949-5200) , they have Excellent Customer Service. Another member on this forum had the same problem.

CrazyJoe, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping it's just a normal occurrence in semiauto pistols, hope they'll send me a pair of new springs.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Another member on this forum had the same problem.
Right you are, saltair. Here's a link to the other member's thread:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/24889-lcp-ii-first-range-report.html

And no, I don't think bent springs are a normal occurrence in semi-automatics. I'd suggest CrazyJoe mention to Ruger that he's aware of at least one other instance of bent springs in an LCP II and ask Ruger if they want him to return his gun or send him a pair of new springs.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Since the Generation 2 Lcp's the springs are the same size at each end. In fact if you roll the springs on a flat smooth surface the springs should roll fairly straight. Your bent springs seem to be a defect.

Keep us informed of the outcome...many very knowledgeable members on this forum. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

saltair

·
Registered
486 Posts
Right you are, saltair. Here's a link to the other member's thread:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/general-lcp-discussion/24889-lcp-ii-first-range-report.html

And no, I don't think bent springs are a normal occurrence in semi-automatics. I'd suggest CrazyJoe mention to Ruger that he's aware of at least one other instance of bent springs in an LCP II and ask Ruger if they want him to return his gun or send him a pair of new springs.
If you ask I'm sure they will just send you the new springs. Hate to be without Elsie for a week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, i've read the other guy's post, my springs look just like his, I'm gonna have to give Ruger a call, dadgummit I just got my gun a few days ago. I'll keep yall posted :)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Myself I don't worry about a bent recoil spring because that's what the guide rod is in there for.
I have an A 22 pistol that the spring almost looks like a pretzel but it functions just fine.
I have a Colt 1903 32 auto pistol that I've had for many years the spring is bent and I've never had a malfunction with it.
So even if River replaces your Springs do not throw the bent ones away that way you always have a good backup set.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i'm keeping the bent ones for sure, I didn't worry about it too much either as they dont seem to affect the functionality of the gun, but just in case better have'em straight than bent :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Myself I don't worry about a bent recoil spring because that's what the guide rod is in there for.
Live and learn, Rich. Thanks.

Quick question. My concern with a bent spring isn't just the spring itself. It's whether whatever is causing the load on the spring to be applied unevenly (because other than a defect in the spring, that's what usually causes springs to bend) is an issue that could ultimately affect the LCP II's reliability. In other words, is the bent spring the problem or only the symptom of a bigger problem? And do the springs in LCPs (Gen 1/Gen 2/Custom) tend to bend as well?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys, I called Ruger this morning, they are going to send me a new set of springs, but when I asked what could've been the cause for the springs to bend at the first place, the gal at customer service said it's normal when the springs are "loosening up", and even if I put in some new ones they might end up bent again. Hell if the new ones bend again I'll just keep them that way, nothing else I can do...

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Well guys, I called Ruger this morning, they are going to send me a new set of springs, but when I asked what could've been the cause for the springs to bend at the first place, the gal at customer service said it's normal when the springs are "loosening up", and even if I put in some new ones they might end up bent again. Hell if the new ones bend again I'll just keep them that way, nothing else I can do...
Actually I was going to mention this about new springs. I do believe springs need to have a period to set. I buy new springs periodical and will rack the gun a number of times and leave it racked over night or a few days to set.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It's info like that keeps me here, gentlemen. Some things that appear concerning aren't worth worrying about. But as a newbie, I wouldn't know that if I didn't have the voice of experience to draw on.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, new the forums

Got my LCP II month ago and just put 150 rounds through it. Got back home took it apart to clean and noticed springs bent also.

Did you ever get your new springs from ruger? Did these bend also?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
spridell---I, too, noticed my springs were a little bent on the first cleaning. Overall, the consensus seems to be that mildly bent springs are nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts