Ruger Pistol Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Greg, glad to hear Ruger fixed yours up so quickly. I'm sure it'll work just fine now...they seem to do a pretty good job fixing them up. Now why they need to fix them in the first place is another matter.

I plan on putting a few more rounds down range this week myself. I'm still trying to get used to the loooong trigger pull.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well just received the SR9 back this week. They replaced the barrel and shot it 28 times. No evidence of peening on this barrel at all.

I get a couple of hundred rounds through it soon and see what happens.

I was somewhat surprised they just replaced the barrel. It seems its a timing issue where the slide is coming back before the barrel is out of the way.

Maybe the angle on the barrel that causes it to drop was wrong on the old one.

We shall see what happens.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine doesn't want to load the first one properly. especially the hollow points. with a full clip there seems to be excessive slop (at least 50 to 60 thou.) between the clip and frame. you can hold the clip up tight against the frame and this seems to help. Is this loose fit normal or do I have a problem? 3 clips same loose fit on all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I am on this bandwagon now. My LCP is approx 3 months old. I had shot approx. 200 rounds through it without 1 single issue....until today. I decided to run 50 rounds through it and I am telling you, my problem is exactly the one described in this thread. The first mag I shot today (hornady critical defense) was fine. Then I went to a 50 round box of Sellier and Bellot. I think the first mag was ok, but after that the problems started. It was failing to eject on about 4 of every 6 rounds per mag. By the end it was just about every round. I was getting some failures to fire as well. Not sure that is related. Anyway, I came home and gave it a really good cleaning. I then tried to manually cycle ammo through it. I am getting the same exact thing where it won't extract the round. It gets hung up on the slide I think. Before reading this post, I was starting to suspect either the extractor or ejector. The ejector is quite short. I couldn't remember if it is supposed to be that short. I thought maybe it broke off, but it doesn't look like a break. Not sure. Looks like I am not alone, though. Also, it seems like the extractor may not be in the right position. Very mysterious. I'll call Ruger on Monday. The wierd thing is that I shot 200 rounds through it without a single issue. I had a good deal of confidence with Elsie going in to today. Once fixed, it will take awhile to reach the same confidence level.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
jww2 said:
Mine doesn't want to load the first one properly. especially the hollow points. with a full clip there seems to be excessive slop (at least 50 to 60 thou.) between the clip and frame. you can hold the clip up tight against the frame and this seems to help. Is this loose fit normal or do I have a problem? 3 clips same loose fit on all.
First of all, the LCP does not use a "clip" to hold ammunition.

A device that both holds ammunition and has a spring-loaded follower to position the ammo for feeding is properly called a magazine.

A clip merely holds ammunition and has nothing to feed the ammunition. Think of the M1 Garand rifle. That uses a clip to hold 8 rounds of ammunition. Stripper clips which are used to fill manually magazines are also properly called clips.

Some magazines are built into a weapon. Many rifles have a non-removable magazine into which you insert ammunition.

The clearance between the LCP's magazine and the channel in the frame is quite normal and should have no ill effect in the feeding of ammunition into the firing chamber or the extraction and subsequent ejection of the empty cartridges.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
xzhync said:
Well, I am on this bandwagon now. My LCP is approx 3 months old. I had shot approx. 200 rounds through it without 1 single issue....until today. I decided to run 50 rounds through it and I am telling you, my problem is exactly the one described in this thread. The first mag I shot today (hornady critical defense) was fine. Then I went to a 50 round box of Sellier and Bellot. I think the first mag was ok, but after that the problems started. It was failing to eject on about 4 of every 6 rounds per mag. By the end it was just about every round. I was getting some failures to fire as well. Not sure that is related. Anyway, I came home and gave it a really good cleaning. I then tried to manually cycle ammo through it. I am getting the same exact thing where it won't extract the round. It gets hung up on the slide I think. Before reading this post, I was starting to suspect either the extractor or ejector. The ejector is quite short. I couldn't remember if it is supposed to be that short. I thought maybe it broke off, but it doesn't look like a break. Not sure. Looks like I am not alone, though. Also, it seems like the extractor may not be in the right position. Very mysterious. I'll call Ruger on Monday. The wierd thing is that I shot 200 rounds through it without a single issue. I had a good deal of confidence with Elsie going in to today. Once fixed, it will take awhile to reach the same confidence level.
S & b ammo for some reason has been more problematic than any other brand of ammo for the lcp. Could be OAL, I can't tellyou but if it works with the other brands, then IMO just stay away from S & B ammo It seems up to the S & b brand of ammo your lcp was working perfect, so i t seems har dot beieve you are having ejector or extractor issues, as it should be that way with any brand of ammo...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree with Jocko. Sounds like the problems only started when you switched to S&B. I think I would try a different round before I got too upset about it. Certain LCPs seem to be less tolerant of some brands of ammo than others.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rogue, as I said, I wouldn't discount S&B until you've tried them. It seems that LCPs seem to be individually susceptible to ammo issues. There have been several reports on here of others using S&B with no problems at all. I have not personally used them at this point, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try. If they didn't work in my LCP, then I would scratch them off my list. If they don't work in your LCP, I'm sure you can sell your surplus on gunbroker.com or some other website.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
RogueLCP said:
I hate to read about the problems with S&B as I have 200 rds that I have not tried yet in my LCP.
My opinion on the S & b was just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess), But I have read in other fourms of the S & B giving some lcp's fits. for reasons I cannot explain. It is suppose dto be good ammo. No doubt one wilget a gun that is strictly ammo sensitive and in that case move on to a good round and just stick with it. If you had no isses with two other brands of ammo at all and then had issues with S & B, it would stand to reason it could be ammo related. Lots of other good brand sof ammo out there to get excited over one brand, IMO..

·
Registered
37 Posts
All, I really believe the problem goes beyond the S&B ammo. After a very thorough cleaning I went back to the range today with a box of PMC. Same problems at the same regularity. Also, in the first 200 rounds shot from the pistol, I shot S&B without any problems. Now almost every shot is an FTE. In each case, the spent casing is not ejecting and the next round is coming up from behind so the slide is held open. In every case I have to drop the magazine and manually rack the slide to try and eject the spent casing. I believe there is some sort of problem with the extractor. The only odd thing I noticed is that it appears to be positioned slightly more forward than I remember it. Of course I didn't pay such close attention till now, but I also tried to find pics on the internet of the area of the LCP and most pics that show the extractor don't show it quite as forward as mine, What I also noticed is that when disassembled I can't easily place a round up against the breach face. Where the extractor hits the casing seems to move the round out just a little bit. Maybe that is normal, but it strikes me as odd and my leading theory at this point. The strange thing is that for the first 200 rounds the gun was flawless. Then all of a sudden, bam! I can't see what changed. I hadn't been to the range with her in about 6 weeks, but I kept the gun clean and properly lubricated. The other problem that I am experiencing (yesterday and today) are mis-fires. There aren't as many as there are FTE's, but they are happening now. Again, for the first 200 rounds, not 1 single problem. Another wierd thing is what appears to be an accelerated amount of peening. For the first 200 rounds I noticed some moderate peening, but after yesterday, I noticed quite a bit more. Not sure if this is related to my problem or not, but again, strange. I have decided to send the pistol into Ruger. I packaged it up today and will find a FedEx or UPS store tomorrow. From reading the Ruger website it doesn't look like I need any sort of return authorization code, but I will call them in the morning just to make sure. I think I have some sort of failiure with some aspect of the pistol. At this point, I am hopeful that Ruger will figure it out and correct the problem. In my enclosed letter I am going to ask them to test fire 1 or 2 dozen rounds before sending it back just to avoid me having to send it in again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well as I said I just purchased a couple of LCP's for me and my wife, a week or so ago. One is S/N 372-7xxxx the other 372-5xxxx

The 5xxxx serial number will not eject cartridges when racking the slide. If you have one in the chamber and try to empty, it does not eject it jams everytime.
If you have the mag full and just rack the slide to eject the cartridges it jams on every round.

Serial number 7xxxxx doesnt do this at all.

I havent shot them yet, and somewhat glad I hadnt, because this one would have jammed every time. Was planning on heading to range Friday night.

I am beginning to be disappointed a bit in Ruger, although I am a big fan of the company.

My short recent history:

Purchased SR9 had to send it in for recall, first run serial number 11xxxx.
Purchased a SR9 for father, mag would not release, sent it in, got it back ,mag would not release, sent it in again finally fixed.
Purchase 2 LCP's one will not eject cartridges the other one is fine, serial numbers way after recall built less than one month apart, not more than a month ago, and within 20000 units of each other.

I just dont understand the quality control...

Calling ruger today and they better not give me any song and dance.....
I just purchased a Ruger LCP II, 22 LR pistol. Why am I having problems with the shells jamming before entering the chamber? Also, the hulls will not eject at all. I’ve tried different bullet mfg’s and the same results. I haven’t fired the pistol yet because of the jamming issues. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum Francisco! Your problem may just be the way you are racking the slide.You should be using the slingshot method. Pinch the rear of the slide and pull it back to the end of its travel and keep pulling until the slide slips from your grip. Some shooters try to follow the slide with their racking hand when it is moving forward and that won't work on an LCP.
If your weapon is correctly assembled and slightly lubed and the slide won't rack with the slingshot method you might want to give Ruger a call. Please let us know how things turn out. Denny

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just purchased a Ruger LCP II, 22 LR pistol. Why am I having problems with the shells jamming before entering the chamber? Also, the hulls will not eject at all. I’ve tried different bullet mfg’s and the same results. I haven’t fired the pistol yet because of the jamming issues. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong?
When I get any new gun I take it out of the box clean and lube it with Lucas Gun Grease not oil the grease lasts longer and with have your slide as slick as glass Put a little on the extractor spring with a tooth pick .I do this before I ever fire a single round and I have never had a failure Clean the chamber with a copper or brass chamber brush and solvent then run a bore snake thru and then apply a little Gun Grease to a patch and run it thru the barrel and chamber I recommend that you break in with Copper Plated Round Rose ammo for the first 100 rounds. Good Luck I hope you enjoy your new ruger LCPII .22LR .I also strongly recommend the Hogue handall Beaver Tail Grip Sleeve it will improve the looks & feel and position your trigger finger in the proper position on the trigger eliminating pulled shots .See diagram below . I also recommend the CCI Velocitor 40 grain Copper Plated Hollow Point Ammo if you use this pistol for protection they are the fasted most Accurate Copper Plated 40 grain Hollow point on the market . The hit hard and penetrate deep .

61 - 74 of 74 Posts