Ruger Pistol Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
gregnauman said:
No offense intended jocko, its just we had covered in this thread pretty much all the bases especially with skips help. I even tried to contact ruger and they told me to shoot it, which I did with TOO MANY failures. Anyway sorry if my post came across inconsiderate.
fear not, when you get my age, sometimes even sun in my eyes Pisses me off, ;D if u get my drift. Ruger will get it right for you, let us know..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greg, I have owned and/or used numerous Rugers and many, many, many other firearms over the years....including service weapons. Pretty much all of them have required a little "work" or "love" to make them perfect for me. Sometimes it's as simple as the new weapon being "worn-in" or me getting used to the weapon.....more typically a combination of the two. For me, that's completely normal. My LCP was no exception, misfed twice with the first box of ammunition. At the second misfeed, pretty much knew the drill...dry cycle several times and it'll be alright. Sure enough, several dry cycles and a feed ramp check was enough to make it perfect. I've got ~500 rounds through my 371 sries LCP with not another problem. Point is, new "anything-metal" often requires a little break-in period. Suggestion; every new or used weapon you purchase or use, make sure you completely disassemble and thoroughly clean before use. I guarantee you'll be surprised a few times by what you find...ok, maybe a little scared a few times too. Most stuff has pretty obvious fixes while some may need the advice of someone more experienced such as a gunsmith. Purely my experience, the term "good to go out of the box" is a myth.....take the time to give your weapons the "work" or "love" that your life deserves....: ) Take care.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
gregnauman said:
Thanks for posting fourbells. I sent my wifes in yesterday as well. Lets see what happens.....

What serial number was yours?
Fourbells said:
ill give a full report when i get her back..
Thanks to both of you for posting....please post outcomes so we can add to our info base..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to add that I received a new LCP with a 372-5xxxx serial and it is exhibiting identical behavior. Tried Gold Dots and Magtech First Defense rounds so far. Half a mag won't feed automatically, but a quick slap finishes the feed. The other problem is nearly all rounds fail to eject. I'm going to get some range ammo in from Cabelas next week so I'll try it before I call up Ruger. Thanks for all the info on this thread, I'm definitely let down that my new LCP isn't top notch out of the bag. But then again, I had to send my new Sig P250 back, too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Greg,
Good choice on sending it in. I just got mine back yesterday. Under 3 weeks not bad.

The report I received from Ruger.

Repair Barrel,
Replaced extractor
Replaced slide
Replaced inner and outer spring.

Darn near a new gun. Now I just need to get it out to the range and make sure it is up to snuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Glad to hear hopefully mine will be OK when I get it back.

Now for more bad news......

Shot my SR9 about 150 rounds of WWB this past weekend as well. Mine you it has been in for recall, camblock exchange for rust when new and now this.

Peening of the barrel

Here are the pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562097911DUxaTF

So I guess the SR9 will be heading to ruger as well, at least I have one gun from them that seems to work. I better go shoot the crap out of it just to make sure.

This is ridiculous :mad:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Peening always means that something is hitting something else with too much force......

E.G., 1911's with softer recoil springs "peening" when used with heavy combat loads....

We added "recoil buffers" and heavier recoil springs, etc.....what worked was heavier recoil springs that dampened the battering force of the slide...more power in the cartridge charge needed dampening by a stronger recoil spring or damage occurred....

When more power was not dampened, damage (read peening) occurred...

There is less latitude/adjustment/"tuning" to be done with light weight polymer/aluminum guns, with light slides and marginal springs and we need to be more careful of loads, polishing etc...to get reliable feeding and ejection...things like "peenng" happen when they should not.....it is a defect....maybe not one which makes the gun not useable but still it is a defect...

Defects, unfortunately, are more common (although with Elsie seem better than they were)...early users are basically BETA testers.......JMHO

Ruger seems to be among the best at fixing problems and getting it right....You get a good Elsie and it's fun to shoot...

Unfortunately, if you get a bad one it is often best to let the factory rebuild it....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
^ I got one of each :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I got my LCP back from Ruger yesterday. I sent it in on the 3rd so the turn around time wasn't that bad. The report says they replaced the slide and the extractor (I was having major FTE problems). They also mentioned that after the repair they test fired 24 rounds through it without a single malfunction. Hopefully I'll make it out to the range this weekend to see for myself. Man I hope it works now!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good luck... let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I got mine in 08, I had failures to cycle. I found the reason was because the
chamber was rough. Brass would get hung up on the chamber. I used some 320
wet/dry paper on a dowel and polished the chamber. My brass still comes out of
my gun a bit rough but it cycles fine.

Ruger apparently does as little as it has to make the gun function. The bore is similar,
it works but it can't be good for velocity or accuracy.

I would prefer that the gun work perfectly without intervention but it was not that expensive
and it does go bang each time the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it is any consolation.
I took my NEW LCP out of the box, racked the slide 300 times, and cleaned and lubed it.
Took it to the range and fired off 100 perfect shots with a 3inch pattern at 15yards.
Soooooo have faith, it's a wonderful pistol.
Mort

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to make it out to the range this weekend with my newly repaired LCP and I'm happy to report that she performed flawlessly! Went through a box of S&B FMJ and a couple magazines each of Gold Dot and Critical Defense. Not a single malfunction. Kudos to Ruger for fixing it right the first time and doing it so quickly.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It should have come to you working. But as long as ruger made good I guess thats all you can ask for. Pride in workmanship just isn't around anymore.

·
Registered
29 Posts
uncle46 said:
It should have come to you working. But as long as ruger made good I guess thats all you can ask for. Pride in workmanship just isn't around anymore.
Agreed on both. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I agree that it should have worked from the start. But no matter how good the manufacturer, I figure some lemons are going to make it out. It just sucks that I got one of them. Oh well, at least they fixed it. Like uncle46 said, it's the most I can ask for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Crabby said:
I was able to make it out to the range this weekend with my newly repaired LCP and I'm happy to report that she performed flawlessly! Went through a box of S&B FMJ and a couple magazines each of Gold Dot and Critical Defense. Not a single malfunction. Kudos to Ruger for fixing it right the first time and doing it so quickly.
Well we recieved my wifes LCP back yesterday, DEC 22. The sheet in the box said the slide and extractor had been replaced, just like yours.

They shot 48 rounds of black hills 95gr FMJ through the gun and said it was flawless, after the repairs.

I havent taken it out to shoot yet, but I am happy to report, that when the slide is racked manually the the rounds fly out of the thing now. Just like my other one.

I am sure it will be fine. Kudos to ruger for fixing it, Kudos for firing the gun multiple times while at the factory, and it even came back cleaned and lubed.

I sure dont know why they are having some problems still, but they did fix this one quickly.

Still cant figure out why the slide and extractor would fix it. I swapped the whole slide assembly with my working LCP and it didnt change the problem. I would have swore the problem was somewhere in the frame due to the swap with my other LCP not fixing it while I had it home.

Just an update my SR9, which is not back yet, but being worked on. They called me yesterday and said the mag release is not in the gun and they want to charge me 33 bucks for the mag release before they will send it back, or I have to send mine in. .

Its a very small U shaped part that makes it so you cannot shoot the last (or any) round with the mag out, like the LCP will do. Most guns allow this, but the ruger SR9 does not. Many have removed it, especially since the gun has a trigger safety like the Glock, as well as a manual slide saftey like the 1911

Anyway I couldnt find what I did with the part, running around the house somewhere, so I guess they are putting a new one in at my cost and sending it back soon. We shall see if its fixed.......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
MoJo said:
If it is any consolation.
I took my NEW LCP out of the box, racked the slide 300 times, and cleaned and lubed it.
Took it to the range and fired off 100 perfect shots with a 3inch pattern at 15yards.
Soooooo have faith, it's a wonderful pistol.
Mort
I tried to do similar. One of mine would eject shells when you racked it, the other wouldnt at all, and it was worse when you shot it.

Now they both work perfect, and I am sure since I can do it manually, just like with my other one, this one will be fine. Ill try to shoot it this weekend.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts