Ruger Pistol Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Only feed from the mag. Good man. How's the extractor spring on the bad gun? If the ejector is in the right place, same as the other, the shell isn't getting to it for some reason. Mine is almost like it's fixed with no flex at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Greg,
Mine was having similar issues. I could get it to eject by had however it would FTE on at least every magizine. Ruger suspected the extractor and had me send it in. I have not gotten her back yet but i hope they fix the problem soon as my new/temporary conceal gun (Taurus 709) needs to go back as well do to accuracy problems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well my wife and I went out to fire the LCPs yesterday.

372-76xxx was flawless on every round.

372-57xxx JAMED 4/6 ROUNDS ON EVERY MAG I SHOT. I tried to put about 50 rounds through it but quit after about 36.

At least every other round it would jam.

Needless to say I am an expert at clearing jams now. Most times the gun would fire, the spent cartridge would not eject and therfore the new round would not chamber. Each time it would Jam the slide back as if it had a slide hold open after firing the last round.

I guess when ruger tested this gun it didnt fail on the initial test fire but if they would have fired more than 1 round through it, it would have jammed.

Shot very accurate with the laser at about 25 feet. Great little guns, just need to send one in and get it fixed.

My family has officially purchased 4 ruger firearms in the last two years, and had 4 trips to precott with 3 of them, and non with 1. Go figure.

2 recalls, 1 mag release problem after the recall, and now one that jams all the time.

At least they are pretty good about fixing them, and once they are fixed they seem to work flawless.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Good to hear the feedback. It sure does sound to me like the ejector has a problem. Maybe it's machined too short, or its front face could be too far to the rear.

Another possibility is that something is keeping the slide from going far enough to the rear. Since you've already swapped slides and proven the problem is with the one frame, the problem would likely be with the frame - something getting in the way of a full-stroke slide cycling.

I really want to hear what the final resolution for this is. As a test before sending the pistol in, you could manually pull the slides back on both pistols and see if there's any difference in how far they can be pulled back.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Please post outcome....Inquiring minds would like to know....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Skip
I really appreciate your suggestions and the knowledge you seem to have of the inner working of this thing.
I'll try what you said with the slide.

Could you do me a favor and look at the parts blow up of the LCP and point out which part in the frame you think it might be?

I can't seem to locate in the blow up what would be the ejector in the frame

SkipD said:
Good to hear the feedback. It sure does sound to me like the ejector has a problem. Maybe it's machined too short, or its front face could be too far to the rear.

Another possibility is that something is keeping the slide from going far enough to the rear. Since you've already swapped slides and proven the problem is with the one frame, the problem would likely be with the frame - something getting in the way of a full-stroke slide cycling.

I really want to hear what the final resolution for this is. As a test before sending the pistol in, you could manually pull the slides back on both pistols and see if there's any difference in how far they can be pulled back.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
gregnauman said:
I can't seem to locate in the blow up what would be the ejector in the frame.
After a closer examination, I discovered that the ejector is actually a part of the "hold open" - part #19 on the list. There is a little projection from the top of that part, and the projection resides right next to the hammer when the hammer is in the "fired" position. The rear surface of this projection (a flat vertical surface) acts as the latch that holds the slide to the rear. The front surface (a little hook-shaped part) acts as the ejector.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
There is just not a hell of alot of room in that area to eject a fully loaded round and if one racks the slide just the slightest "improperly", you will get a hang up trying to eject a live round. If it works every time with live rounds when firing, then one has to realize the issue is in the handler and not the gun. because one works better than the other, IMO all guns have their own personality and I certainly would not even worry about that petty issue. Drop the magazine, eject as fast as you can, if it ejects fine, it is stays in that area, just clear it . Maybe a change in brand of ammo might also help also. One has to realize that hand racking does not even compare in speed/velocity of the slide moving back ward like firing the gun and the recoil doing its job in extraction.

Possably a few hundred more rounds down ragne might even get things smoothed out and possably eliminate ur issue...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
gregnauman said:
Well my wife and I went out to fire the LCPs yesterday.

372-76xxx was flawless on every round.

372-57xxx JAMED 4/6 ROUNDS ON EVERY MAG I SHOT. I tried to put about 50 rounds through it but quit after about 36.

At least every other round it would jam.

Needless to say I am an expert at clearing jams now. Most times the gun would fire, the spent cartridge would not eject and therfore the new round would not chamber. Each time it would Jam the slide back as if it had a slide hold open after firing the last round.

I guess when ruger tested this gun it didnt fail on the initial test fire but if they would have fired more than 1 round through it, it would have jammed.

Shot very accurate with the laser at about 25 feet. Great little guns, just need to send one in and get it fixed.

My family has officially purchased 4 ruger firearms in the last two years, and had 4 trips to precott with 3 of them, and non with 1. Go figure.

2 recalls, 1 mag release problem after the recall, and now one that jams all the time.

At least they are pretty good about fixing them, and once they are fixed they seem to work flawless.
before sending it back, how about doing this.

cleanthe gun throughly, again and grease the slide raisl and then just sit there and rack the slide about 500 times as fast as u can, this helps some break in without the expense and bang thing.

If you have a dremel, polish the feed ramp toa mirror finish and also inside the chamber and around THE barrel lug. No dremel, some 600 grip or hight auto sand paper willdo the same thing. You can't hurt a darn thing by doing that, nor will it void your warranty.

Make sure your recoil springs are on corerectly, the open flared end always towards the front of the barrel. shoot regualr fmj range ammo until the gun is doing what it should. last resort is to then call Ruger and have them issue a pre pair pickup on the gun. You should not have to pay to send it back, but IMO it definitely needs more rounds down range before I would send it back. Some guns take longer to mate up surfaces to get smoothed out and it sounds like yours is one of them.

this is just a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess) but I think the steel slide has not mated up yet witgh the alloy slide frame and doing some of the abouve will help that. That slide has to move with a certain amount of velocity to eject and load a round and I think your slide is not broken in yet. again with gun not in my hand this is a SWAG..

take alittle time with it before panicking and sending it back. That should be your last resort, IMO

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
jocko said:
There is just not a hell of alot of room in that area to eject a fully loaded round and if one racks the slide just the slightest "improperly", you will get a hang up trying to eject a live round. If it works every time with live rounds when firing, then one has to realize the issue is in the handler and not the gun. because one works better than the other, IMO all guns have their own personality and I certainly would not even worry about that petty issue. Drop the magazine, eject as fast as you can, if it ejects fine, it is stays in that area, just clear it . Maybe a change in brand of ammo might also help also. One has to realize that hand racking does not even compare in speed/velocity of the slide moving back ward like firing the gun and the recoil doing its job in extraction.

Possably a few hundred more rounds down ragne might even get things smoothed out and possably eliminate ur issue...
Per reply #22, he tested the LCP on a range and had 50% or more FTE (failure to eject) problems. This, in my opinion, is definitely a problem with the pistol and not how it's handled.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I've followed this posting with great interest....and have these thoughts.....

The ejector on these little guys is small, the slide is light, the factory recoil spring is on the edge of being too light, sometimes the innards (feed ramp, chamber, bottom of the slide, the hammer surface, the slide rails and breech face) are left rougher that we'd like...problems or combinations of weaknesses in any of these areas can make FTF/FTE problems for Elsies....or result in borderline performance....much more so than in a gun with a heavier slide and recoil spring...so there is less "slack" in these guns....

The newer ones are usually good.... some are perfect out of the box ....others seem to benefit from wearing-in as Jocko suggests... racking the slide 500 times....(maybe 500 is excessive but 100-200 sure helped mine), polish only not reshaping the innards, add a heavier 11# recoil spring and rounds down range (200-400) ....

the slide, frame and magazine are what they are... they work or they don't....the slide is and will be light, the ejector has been modified, sometimes the wear-in/and polish is enough, some need heavier recoil springs ..... a few are defective and need replacement or modification....

If the wear-in, polish, spring upgrade doesn't work, then there probably is a slide or frame problem that Ruger needs to correct ....

Seeing that you tried most if this stuff, I'd suggest that a return to Ruger may well be in order...JMHO

Dick

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
SkipD said:
jocko said:

Per reply #22, he tested the LCP on a range and had 50% or more FTE (failure to eject) problems. This, in my opinion, is definitely a problem with the pistol and not how it's handled.
Thanks skip for this response, I began to wonder if jocko had read the thread at all before posting.

I racked the slide manually so much my fingers hurt before I took it to the range, and like I said at the range the dang thing misfired every other cartridge. 4/6 on every mag I had (4).

Filled all mags up and one by one ran them into my other lcp and it was flawless.

something is wrong, not sure what it is but will know when it gets back I hope. Calling tomorrow, so probably get picked up Wednesday.

I keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
evidently i missed some of your points, it is a mute point also, as u are sending it back. They will get it right, excuse me for trying to offer some help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No offense intended jocko, its just we had covered in this thread pretty much all the bases especially with skips help. I even tried to contact ruger and they told me to shoot it, which I did with TOO MANY failures. Anyway sorry if my post came across inconsiderate.

S

·
0 Posts
gregnauman said:
OK I called ruger and talked to a technician, Julian. He felt that I needed to go out and shoot the gun and see how it does when firing and how it ejects manually after running some rounds through it.

He said it just could be a slight tolerance issue in the part in the frame and once I fire it, it may correct itself

Please ask Julian to provide the additional ammo!

I suspect they are shinning you on, which somewhat surprises me. Ruger,has fixed everything I contacted them about (without question). I hate to recommend this, but ask to speak to his supervisor, I am sure there is somebody around there that thinks customer good will is a major asset. This situation obviously involves a defective product. You should not be required to re engineer their design...

I would be interested in how they respond to the situation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Gun being shipped in tonight

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same issue with mine would not eject the shell and get jamed up and i had to pull the magazine out hard then rack the gun to get the shell out. Ive put about 3-400 rounds thru the gun and put the 13lb. wolfs in. Got tired of it sent her back yesterday.. Hopefully she comes back with no issues..

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
gregnauman said:
Gun being shipped in tonight
Good.....Let us know the outcome...

Fourbells said:
Had the same issue with mine would not eject the shell and get jamed up and i had to pull the magazine out hard then rack the gun to get the shell out. Ive put about 3-400 rounds thru the gun and put the 13lb. wolfs in. Got tired of it sent her back yesterday.. Hopefully she comes back with no issues..
Let us know what they did to her and how she works...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for posting fourbells. I sent my wifes in yesterday as well. Lets see what happens.....

What serial number was yours?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts