Ruger Pistol Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I said I just purchased a couple of LCP's for me and my wife, a week or so ago. One is S/N 372-7xxxx the other 372-5xxxx

The 5xxxx serial number will not eject cartridges when racking the slide. If you have one in the chamber and try to empty, it does not eject it jams everytime.
If you have the mag full and just rack the slide to eject the cartridges it jams on every round.

Serial number 7xxxxx doesnt do this at all.

I havent shot them yet, and somewhat glad I hadnt, because this one would have jammed every time. Was planning on heading to range Friday night.

I am beginning to be disappointed a bit in Ruger, although I am a big fan of the company.

My short recent history:

Purchased SR9 had to send it in for recall, first run serial number 11xxxx.
Purchased a SR9 for father, mag would not release, sent it in, got it back ,mag would not release, sent it in again finally fixed.
Purchase 2 LCP's one will not eject cartridges the other one is fine, serial numbers way after recall built less than one month apart, not more than a month ago, and within 20000 units of each other.

I just dont understand the quality control...

Calling ruger today and they better not give me any song and dance.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and by the way, I one by one took the barrell, the recoil spring and rod, and the slide and put them from the working gun to the non working one and the problem still happend.

It seems it is just not ejecting the cartridge correctly for some reason.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course live fire is not cycle by hand ::)

So tell me what you do when you need to unload the gun and it jams instead of ejecting the cartridge?

Already tried the mags, that was the first thing I did

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I called ruger and talked to a technician, Julian. He felt that I needed to go out and shoot the gun and see how it does when firing and how it ejects manually after running some rounds through it.

He said it just could be a slight tolerance issue in the part in the frame and once I fire it, it may correct itself.

I just dont understand in looking at the parts blow up what could be in the frame causing this. The extractor, spring, and plunger are all a part of the slide.

I say frame because like I posted before I moved the whole top half of the gun from a working LCP over to this one and it still happend. This makes me think it was something in the frame.

Ill fire it this weekend and post back what I find.

Im sorry if I was ranting a bit, I am just a bit tired of dealing with this, as I just went through enough issues with the SR9 recall.

I sent my fathers SR9 in post recall, cause the magazine would not release, got it back and it was the same. So he sent it in and got it back and now its fine. Weird.

I will say after my SR9 was sent in for the recall it has been flawless.

Its just that between mine and his we have had three trips to prescott and back! More if I have to send one of these in.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is the ejector claw/hook on the shell ledge, for lack of a better word. I guess , is the ejector holding the shell where it should?

Have you chambered a round, and then removed the magazine, and then tried to rack the slide to see if it ejects?

Is the jamming with hollow points? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 372 LCP. It extracts rounds just fine if I cycle it by hand, but when I took it to the range it was a completely different story. I had FTEs at least twice every magazine (and they only hold 6 rounds!). Fired a total of about 60 rounds through it and the problem was still there. I tried a couple different types of ammo and 3 different magazines, no help. I wasn't limp wristing it and even had my buddy shoot it. Same FTE problem with him.

Anyway, she's on her way to Ruger as I type. Hopefully they can fix the problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I drop the mag, work the slide hard and fast and catch the chambered/ejected round in the air. :)

Greg, we feel ya and hope for the best with your new gun.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deadhead1971 said:
Is the ejector claw/hook on the shell ledge, for lack of a better word. I guess , is the ejector holding the shell where it should?

Have you chambered a round, and then removed the magazine, and then tried to rack the slide to see if it ejects?

Is the jamming with hollow points? :)
Yes chambered a round, removed mag, rack slide JAM. Every once in a while it will spit it out but most times no.

My other one throws the round so far its crazy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burley said:
I drop the mag, work the slide hard and fast and catch the chambered/ejected round in the air. :)

Greg, we feel ya and hope for the best with your new gun.
Yep 372-76xxx does just like you describe, 372-57xxx does not :mad:

·
Registered
906 Posts
OK, let me ask this, do you load the first round into the chamber from the mag, working the slide, or do you drop the first round into the chamber by hand?

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
gregnauman said:
Yes chambered a round, removed mag, rack slide JAM. Every once in a while it will spit it out but most times no.

Try this:

• Make sure both of your pistols are empty.
  • Pull the triggers.
  • Remove the slides.
  • Keep the slides and frames oriented so that you'll know which slide goes on which frame.
  • Hold the frames (with no slides on them) as if you were going to fire the pistol.
  • Look for the hammers. They should be sticking up about 1/8" along the centerline of the frame, just behind the magazine well.
  • Just to the left of the hammers, you will see the ejectors. From the top of the frame, they look like little square pieces of metal.

Examine both ejectors very carefully. If the ejectors do not look about the same, that would be proof enough to me that one is broken. That's more than likely the culprit for the failure to eject. You've already swapped the slides, so the extractor isn't the problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
have you tried switching mags/bullets? this makes me think of close tolerances. i've been complaining lately of my speer gold dot bullets coming loose from the casing. now i think about it, it's most likely my fault as i manually eject the same bullet to clear the gun to practice dry fire or install a new accessory or whatever esle. if the tolerance is really tight, i'm betting it's dislodging the bullet.

anyway, have you tried diff.. nevermind. i just recall you stating you tried different ammo. anyway, good luck. keep us posted on your findings...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hade this same thing happen to me also but it only happened with hornady critical defense rounds not with practice ammo. I think the problem is the hornady's are slightly longer over all and hang up a bit. I will say this though,they never fail to eject after being fired,only when trying to eject a whole cartrige did they jam.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SkipD said:
gregnauman said:

Try this:

• Make sure both of your pistols are empty.
  • Pull the triggers.
  • Remove the slides.
  • Keep the slides and frames oriented so that you'll know which slide goes on which frame.
  • Hold the frames (with no slides on them) as if you were going to fire the pistol.
  • Look for the hammers. They should be sticking up about 1/8" along the centerline of the frame, just behind the magazine well.
  • Just to the left of the hammers, you will see the ejectors. From the top of the frame, they look like little square pieces of metal.

Examine both ejectors very carefully. If the ejectors do not look about the same, that would be proof enough to me that one is broken. That's more than likely the culprit for the failure to eject. You've already swapped the slides, so the extractor isn't the problem.

Skip I will try and take a look. I think you may be onto something because here is the weird thing.

If I rack the slide to get a round in the chamber, then remove the magazine and then rack the slide to get the round out, it just falls out through the handle where the mag goes. It does not eject.

My other gun, whether the mag is in or out, ejects the round out the ejection port. Not this one though, it just fall out the handle, like nothing is ejecting it

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Burley said:
OK, let me ask this, do you load the first round into the chamber from the mag, working the slide, or do you drop the first round into the chamber by hand?
Working the slide only

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jjp said:
I hade this same thing happen to me also but it only happened with hornady critical defense rounds not with practice ammo. I think the problem is the hornady's are slightly longer over all and hang up a bit. I will say this though,they never fail to eject after being fired,only when trying to eject a whole cartrige did they jam.
I wondered if the ammo was the problem, so early on I tried it with the non HP WWB ammo and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well skip I did what you said and they look identical to me.

If the frame is being held like you are shooting it, the left side of the hammer is the slide lock. But if I compare all around in the area by the hammer they look identical.

I would agree it has to be the ejector. Especially since the round will just drop through the mag well when I rack the slide to unchamber a round.

S

·
0 Posts
Without seeing the weapon, I would vote for the ejector. The tension on the ejector may be to off or the ejector it's self may be defective. Interesting problem, please post the results of your investigation

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Some thoughts......Seems like it's either ejector or extractor...

If I am emptying a loaded LCP, I drop the mag and rack the slide to unload the round in the mag....most of the time the round drops from the chamber into the mag well and into my hand every once in a while the round doesn't drop and I have to shake the gun to get the round to drop.....that's because the case does not go through the whole ejection process (being extracted, pulled back, hitting the ejector and being pushed out).

There are no failures to feed or eject during shooting....put mag in, slingshot slide, loads top round (also strips/loads top round if slide racked slowly)....

With normal slide speed, good springs, polished parts, and proper wear-in....everything should work....a bad ejector or extractor would seem to be the cause of the problem...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts