Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to shoot my buddies P3AT and let's just say I'm glad I waited for the Ruger. The LCP feels soooo much better in my hands. The Kel Tec has very sharp edges and the grip feels way to rough to me. As far as the P3AT's lighter trigger pull, it felt a little heavier and longer than my LCP. The LCP is actually a joy to shoot with the finger extension, I probably wouldn't shoot the KT nearly as much if I owned one. The sites on the LCP, although not good, are a lot better than the KT. I put a little white testors paint on the front site and it made a huge difference as far a consistently aiming. I'm still getting used to the long trigger pull, but don't have a problem putting 7 shots within 4 inches of eachother at 7-10 yards. I'm at 350 shots now without zero problems what so ever. Just shoot clean and repeat. Let me add that the KT is a very good choice, but I like the LCP just a little more. I'm sure I could learn to love the KT as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have to agree, I actually bought a P3AT on a Sat and had buyers remorse ( never shot it) and was able to get full credit on Mon and wait listed for 2 months to get my LCP (post recall). Really glad I did, the fit and finish is far superior than the P3AT. The grip does feel so much better in my hands than the P3AT. Also have a Ruger SR9 (post recall) so I am really enjoying the both of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Picked up my LCP yesterday at the local gun show. After looking at both I settled on the LCP. It was my first choice being a Ruger fan anyway. Only two shops had any LCP's. One had a couple 370's and a 371. The other had two 371's. I bought the two 371's. I saw a man walk up to the other place and buy all 4 LCP's this dealer had left at a higher price. There were no other LCP's to be found at this show.

Prices were a bit higher than normal also on everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Well I've owned both and I much prefer the Ruger! I first had a Kel-Tec P3AT first generation and it malfunctioned quite often. So much that I never carried it and sold it after I felt I had given it the benefit of the doubt way too much and after it had been shot enough to be "broken in." Then I discover Kel-Tec has released a second generation P3AT and I thought "what the heck, I'll give Kel-Tec a second chance" because I loved the concept of the gun, super small, light and flat. The kind of gun that you would take with you instead of leaving it at home. I must say the second generation Kel-Tec was much inproved over the first generation. Mine worked well but did have an occasional miss-fire leaving a very light dent on the shells primer. This happened with more than just one brand so I know it was the gun and not the shells. But this only happened maybe once every 100 rds or so I figured I could live with it since I was carring the little gun everywhere and had come to depend on it greatly. Then comes the LCP! I purchased one and all problems were solved! No more miss-fires or malfunctions of any kind. The gun is definately built better and has almost no sharp edges or lines like the Kel-Tecs are known for. I for one am well pleased with my LCP and would definately buy one over the Kel-Tec anyday. Yea they may cost a little more but IMHO they are well worth it in quality and "peace of mind!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
mpd563 said:
Well I've owned both and I much prefer the Ruger! I first had a Kel-Tec P3AT first generation and it malfunctioned quite often. So much that I never carried it and sold it after I felt I had given it the benefit of the doubt way too much and after it had been shot enough to be "broken in." Then I discover Kel-Tec has released a second generation P3AT and I thought "what the heck, I'll give Kel-Tec a second chance" because I loved the concept of the gun, super small, light and flat. The kind of gun that you would take with you instead of leaving it at home. I must say the second generation Kel-Tec was much inproved over the first generation. Mine worked well but did have an occasional miss-fire leaving a very light dent on the shells primer. This happened with more than just one brand so I know it was the gun and not the shells. But this only happened maybe once every 100 rds or so I figured I could live with it since I was carring the little gun everywhere and had come to depend on it greatly. Then comes the LCP! I purchased one and all problems were solved! No more miss-fires or malfunctions of any kind. The gun is definately built better and has almost no sharp edges or lines like the Kel-Tecs are known for. I for one am well pleased with my LCP and would definately buy one over the Kel-Tec anyday. Yea they may cost a little more but IMHO they are well worth it in quality and "peace of mind!"
not even sure they cost even more, depends who is selling. They have been bought for $259 quite often. I paid $300 for mine out the door,, I paid $289 for my kt 380, when I had them. you are dead right though, give me a Ruger lcp any day over a kt..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
I was only going by my past experiences. I can't remember what I paid for my first KT but I paid $220 out the door for the second one and paid $320 out the door for my LCP. But I consider it well worth the extra $100.00 for the LCP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
mpd563 said:
I was only going by my past experiences. I can't remember what I paid for my first KT but I paid $220 out the door for the second one and paid $320 out the door for my LCP. But I consider it well worth the extra $100.00 for the LCP.
u won't find the kt anymnore for $220. U stole that gun at that price. IMO thats allthey are worth to. Just a poor quality made gun, that had it been made right in the first place ruger would have never ventured into copying the kt and would have come up with their own original design instead of copying a problem gun in the first place. Hell they are still giving issues to this day..

My dealer who is small quite selling the kt' s as soon as the Ruger lcp came out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
blacksteel said:
I looked at the P3AT at a local gun shop. It was enough to make me commit once and for all to the LCP. The lack of fit and finish is not confidence inspiring to say the least.
IMO, you made a very wise decision, YOU JUST LOOKED ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Greetings, Gentlemen,

I bought my first generation P3AT in 2004. Out of the box, it wasn't very reliable. It had numerous issues, but with a little grinding, polishing, and tweaking it became my 24/7 carry. Four years later, and many hundreds of rounds fired, I have experienced no malfunctions of any kind. It is not ammo sensitive. I would stake my life on it.

We now have two LCP's. My wife's pistol experienced major problems out of the box. Chamber diameter was too small. The cartridges would bind, preventing the slide from closing into battery. Had to nudge it closed. Some times the trigger would contact the grip and not drop the hammer. Had to do a little grinding, polishing, and tweaking to get it reliable. I still didn't like the way the hammer flexed from side to side as the trigger was pulled. Made the trigger pull feel springy/mushy. I sent it in for the recall and it came back working beautifuly. No complaints on this one.

Out of the box, mine worked fairly well. The trigger pull was pretty rough and raspy. The hammer would drop just as the trigger touched the grip. So, had to disassemble, file, polish, and tweak. When done, it ran superbly. Just as smooth and slick as my P3AT. Ran right out and bought a laser for it to use as my night carry.

I was a little leary about sending it in for the recall, but I wanted the free magazine. I was very disappointed in the results. Right back to square one, in spades. Now I found out what rough and raspy really means. Called Ruger, complained a little, and sent it back to the Wizard, telling them when it is returned I expect it to run like it did when I sent it in for the recall. Serves me right for getting greedy and wanting the magazine.

If and when it works as well as the P3AT, I will use it as my night carry. BTW, I have owned and shot Rugers since 1957, and loved them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I have both guns. Purchased the P3AT 2 years ago. It was first generation and jammed at least every other clip. Sent it back this year and they upgraded it to second generation. Actually looks like a new pistol with the old serial number on it, very nice upgrade and never jams now. I purchased the LCP as soon as they were available because it was a Ruger. I do like the fit, finish and feel better of the LCP. However I do have to send it back because of the recall on the first ones. Both are good little guns but I have to give the edge to the LCP.



Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! (Colt Ford)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I have a 1st generation P3AT that was jamming so much during it's first trip to the range, I cleaned it & haven't shot the thing since. Maybe I'll see if KT will do something with it.

My LCP is a much better made gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Armybrat said:
I have a 1st generation P3AT that was jamming so much during it's first trip to the range, I cleaned it & haven't shot the thing since. Maybe I'll see if KT will do something with it.

My LCP is a much better made gun.
u got that right ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I know at one time there was a demand for P3AT's from gun dealers. At least enough so that sometimes they weren't always in stock. But with the LCP's out now and with KT's history of jam-a-matics, I was wondering how much the demand or sales of the P3AT's were down. Anybody know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
I just got my lcp back today from Ruger. I had originally sent it in with the proted slide and barrel, and ruger replaced the entire slide kand barrel (blued also) and sent the ported slide and barrel back.

The fit and finish of this new slide is awesome, no maching markes anywhere. New recoil sprigns witht he flared inner spring also was sent. Pinkie extension magazine.

I could see the not only replace the hammer bock but alsoinstalled a new hammer and a new titanium firing pin and a stiffer firing pin spring also.

I willget out today and put some rounds down range but i really see no reason why this gun shouldnot be good to go.

Nice job Ruger, my hat is off to Ruger . Theuy could have just as easily had told me that when I modifed the slide kand barrel with porting that I had no warranty and that they would not fix it. They choose to do the right thing.

I think I will leave this gun alone now and just shoot it like I stole it.

update: took the lcp out this afternoon, Fired corbon 90 grain hp, flawlessly, corbon dpx, flawlessly, Remington golden sabre 102 grain flawlessly, American Eagle fmj (50 rounds perfect). CCI Blazer brass (50 rounds flawlessly)

What can I say guys, this gun is a shooter and like a damn pig, it eats anything that goes into the pipe and oh by the way all above rounds were shot with the pinkie extension Ruger magazine without one hitch, not one magazine release..

Looking at this Ruger lcp and from past owner ship ofmy 3 kt,s the quality of finish and fit is 100% better than any kt I ever owned. No machine marks are all on the slide internals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
jocko said:
I just got my lcp back today from Ruger. I had originally sent it in with the proted slide and barrel, and ruger replaced the entire slide kand barrel (blued also) and sent the ported slide and barrel back.
Well, shoot, if I had known they would do that I would have attacked my LCP with a drill press.... ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Three-80 said:
I know at one time there was a demand for P3AT's from gun dealers. At least enough so that sometimes they weren't always in stock. But with the LCP's out now and with KT's history of jam-a-matics, I was wondering how much the demand or sales of the P3AT's were down. Anybody know?
The P3AT's are still hot sellers. This is the LCP forum after all, so it's pretty obvious that most here will be anti-Kel-Tec.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Ooben said:
jocko said:
I just got my lcp back today from Ruger. I had originally sent it in with the proted slide and barrel, and ruger replaced the entire slide kand barrel (blued also) and sent the ported slide and barrel back.
Well, shoot, if I had known they would do that I would have attacked my LCP with a drill press.... ;D
long story Ooben, you will have to ask kraigster sometime about it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
devicemanager said:
Three-80 said:
I know at one time there was a demand for P3AT's from gun dealers. At least enough so that sometimes they weren't always in stock. But with the LCP's out now and with KT's history of jam-a-matics, I was wondering how much the demand or sales of the P3AT's were down. Anybody know?
The P3AT's are still hot sellers. This is the LCP forum after all, so it's pretty obvious that most here will be anti-Kel-Tec.
ur right but not as hot as they used to be. Two of my old time small dealers quite selling the kt's 380 now that Ruger is back with the 380 lcp. I was in Gander mt yesterday and they had zero kt 380 or 32's in stock and one PF9 with a small laser sight on it for $400, Not sure I would want to put that much in a PF9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Have owned 2 keltecs.

The first was a p32. excellent gun no issues what so ever. sold it and got a P3at. It functioned fine for a while and then malfuctioned all the time. sold it. Now i have the lcp and love it. The lcp has a much better finish to it. and just feels better. Dan
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top