Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the range and put Elsie Pea through her paces for the first time. First impression: it didn't live up to my expectations. For a gun as in-demand as the LCP, from a manufacturer with the reputation of Ruger, I was expecting something more. I shot a total of 85 rounds...35 95-Grain Magtech Jacketed Hollow Points; and 50 95-Grain Reloaded Full Metal Jacket. Before shooting the weapon the first time, I had field stripped the gun, cleaned it properly even thought it was brand new, and applied plenty of lube.

I didn't notice a marked difference between either of the loads. First 20 rounds out of the gun, while not accurate, fined great. However, round 24 failed to feed. A solid jam which couldn't be chambered even with some finesse, but also couldn't be ejected without first ejecting the magazine. I fired quite a few more rounds, and number 35 failed to feed in an identical manner. I then switched to the Full Metal Jacket ammo, and rounds 45, 53, 73 and 80 also failed to feed in the same manner as before. After 80 rounds, I field stripped and thoroughly cleaned the weapon, applied fresh lube, and put her to bed. However, the gentleman shooting in the next lane noticed that I had one of the coveted LCPs, and ooh'd and ahh'd over her. I told him I'd be happy to let him run a mag or two through her...so he loaded up 5 of the Magtech JHPs. I was thoroughly embarrassed when TWO rounds in a 5-round magazine failed to feed. This was immediately following a good cleaning and application of lube. It should be noted, however, that in all instances, the rounds which failed to fire were the third or fourth round in the magazine.

All rounds were fired at 7 yards. The first 20 were shot into a silhouette target, and only two missed the orange. The middle 40 rounds were shot into various smaller targets, and the final 25 were shot into an additional silhouette target. The weapon takes just a little bit of getting used to...it had a bit more recoil than I was expecting. After getting used to the weapon, though, I was able to fire the final 20 into the "orange", with all of them being shots which would have been effective in self-defense. The only complaint I had was an inability to group the rounds. Despite my best efforts, I simply couldn't put the rounds exactly where I wanted them. However, they were "close enough" for the weapon's intended use, that being self-defense. This obviously isn't a target shooter, but in my view, accurate enough to defend yourself. I will mention, too, though, that in my opinion, this would NOT be a comfortable weapon to put a couple hundred rounds through in one trip to the range.

Despite what I view as an unacceptable number of failures to feed, I never once experienced a failure to fire. As simply a self-defense weapon, and considering I carry it with one in the chamber, I'm reasonably confident in Elsie Pea's ability to get me out of a sticky self-defense situation. Am I annoyed by the failures to feed? Absolutely. But were they prevalent enough to cause me to not rely on Elsie to protect me and my family? No. She'll officially go on my ankle after today.

So, a bit of good, a bit of bad...my honest overall opinion: for a little bitty $300 gun, she ain't bad. I intend to make a detailed list of my "squawks" when I send her in for the recall, and I hope she'll get tweaked a little bit and come back better than ever. If not for the failures to feed, I'd dub her the perfect deep concealment pistol. As is, though, she's darn close to being the best in her class out of all the others I've fired.

·
Registered
111 Posts
By your 3 or 4 trip to the range, I found the LCP to feed and fire perfectly.

I am new on pistols. But, I have been told over and over "you need to put a couple of hundred rounds through any gun to break them in" I suspect the LCP is no different.

I am not being defensive, I just don't think a first trip to the range is a fair judge of any weapon.

Shucks, it took 100 rounds to break in my Walther PPS a $600.00 pistol.

Hope you have better luck on your future trips to the range.
;D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more note...wow, 12 hours removed from the range, my hand is sore! Little Elsie Pea has quite a bit of recoil for such a little girl. I can shoot 300 rounds through my H&K and never feel it, but 80 rounds through the LCP, and I have a bruise. Gotta say, though, it gives me the warm fuzzies. Something reassuring about feeling that recoil. A whole lot of pep for a little gun. As they say, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

By the way, here's a picture from the range today...The 1st 20 rounds. Couldn't get them to group no matter what I tried, but with the exception of 2, all are acceptable defense shots.

·
Registered
201 Posts
TheBroker said:
.Despite what I view as an unacceptable number of failures to feed, I never once experienced a failure to fire. As simply a self-defense weapon, and considering I carry it with one in the chamber, I'm reasonably confident in Elsie Pea's ability to get me out of a sticky self-defense situation. Am I annoyed by the failures to feed? Absolutely. But were they prevalent enough to cause me to not rely on Elsie to protect me and my family? No. She'll officially go on my ankle after today.
Wow!!! Sorry to hear about your problems, mine has been perfect since day one.

A question if I may... an unacceptable number of FTF and you are "reasonably confident" to carry your LCP and depend on it? I sure wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. While no semi-auto is perfect they have to run 100% for at least a few mags before I would be comfortable with depending on it....

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
AZ Outlaws said:
TheBroker said:
.Despite what I view as an unacceptable number of failures to feed, I never once experienced a failure to fire. As simply a self-defense weapon, and considering I carry it with one in the chamber, I'm reasonably confident in Elsie Pea's ability to get me out of a sticky self-defense situation. Am I annoyed by the failures to feed? Absolutely. But were they prevalent enough to cause me to not rely on Elsie to protect me and my family? No. She'll officially go on my ankle after today.
Wow!!! Sorry to hear about your problems, mine has been perfect since day one.

A question if I may... an unacceptable number of FTF and you are "reasonably confident" to carry your LCP and depend on it? I sure wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. While no semi-auto is perfect they have to run 100% for at least a few mags before I would be comfortable with depending on it....

Ur totally right AZ, that gun right now is unacceptable as a defense gun. Work with it some more, grease the slide rails up good and shoot fmj ammo for break in, If you can't get 200 flawless rounds out of it, then IMO it isnot dependable. I don;'t want any gun that gives issues, be it in 2 magazines full or 50 magazine later. They should work all the time and when it doesn't, then diagnose what cuased it> Bad round??dirty gu??unlubed gun??faulty mag?? limpwristing it??, none of them, then you have an issue. Semie's (good ones) are not made to work periodically, they are made to work all the time but you hve todo your part also, like keep it cleaned and lubed and shoot proper ammo, take care of your magazines, replace recoil springs as needed. Oh yes and then just shoot the damn thing like you stole it..

·
Registered
215 Posts
TheBroker said:
By the way, here's a picture from the range today...The 1st 20 rounds. Couldn't get them to group no matter what I tried, but with the exception of 2, all are acceptable defense shots.

If it was a male attacker, that low shot would stop him just fine! :eek:

Lose the Mag-tec ammo. Seems that gives more issues than any other out there. Break her in with WWB and try a couple carry rounds. I use Rem GS 102gr HPs for carry. I've never put less than 100 rounds through her in a session. Last time out was my most with 350. But that was broken up with a couple hundred rounds through my USP .45 as well.

Do you have a small .38 wheel gun? Load it with some +P ammo and fire 30-40 rounds. Then switch to the LCP. It will be easier to aim, and the recoil will feel like buttah!! ;D

But I'm with the others. As it is right now, I wouldn't trust her. I need 500 failure free rounds through my rigs before I trust them...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
96GTS said:
TheBroker said:
But I'm with the others. As it is right now, I wouldn't trust her. I need 500 failure free rounds through my rigs before I trust them...

Well, here's my thought...I carry her with one in the chamber...so I am going to have at least one shot. None of the failures to fire occurred until the 3rd round in the magazine (isn't it odd that it was consistently the same round??). If I get two shots, that's enough to buy me enough time to get out of the situation, at least for the situations I can imagine myself being in based upon my lifestyle and normal activities. As for the home, no, I wouldn't rely on the gun to protect me there...but my H&K is on the nightstand, and I can drive nails with it.

If my choice is to either carry the LCP as-is, or go without, I'll take the LCP. I WILL feel better, though, after I get a few hundred flawless rounds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TheBroker, your trip to the range sounds like mine. I was very disappointed with the LCP as well judging from my first trip out with her, I had the exact same thing happen to me with the FTF's I am going out this weekend again to run another 150 through her and see how she does, I called about the recall already and they will be looking at the FTF issues while they have mine in Prescott, hopefully they sort it all out so she doesn't need to get replaced.

vsorrentino said:
By your 3 or 4 trip to the range, I found the LCP to feed and fire perfectly.

I am new on pistols. But, I have been told over and over "you need to put a couple of hundred rounds through any gun to break them in" I suspect the LCP is no different.

I am not being defensive, I just don't think a first trip to the range is a fair judge of any weapon.

Shucks, it took 100 rounds to break in my Walther PPS a $600.00 pistol.

Hope you have better luck on your future trips to the range.
;D
As far as breaking in any gun, it is recommended sure, but this is the FIRST Ruger product that I have ever bought that had so many FTF's that I got frustrated with it and put it away for the day, I never come home from the range with anything more than the ammo thats in it while it rides in my pocket and I came home with 2 boxes of .380 auto last weekend :( . heck, I have a P89 that ran perfect from day one and I have had exactly 1 FTF to date with it and that was with an after market p85 mag in it, that pistol was bought in 1995! thousands of rounds have gone down range with her ;)

Nietz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse. But when I first fired mine, I used WWB with no issues at all. Had the same FTF issue as many did with Magtech HP's.

For carry I use alternating Buffalo Bore 95gr FMJ-FN and 90 gr JHP's. First round out is a HP.

Talk about recoil, fire a few BB's, they make the WWB's feel a whole lot better!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Went to the range today. Have not been there for a while and needed to escape from the election blues. Shot 100 rounds through my XD-40 and then fired up Elsie. She shot 8 rounds and quit with a broken trigger. Crap I say. Cleaned her up, and bagged her up, awaiting my recall notice. Having real serious thoughts about trading her off when I get her back. This is the second LCP I have had with a broken trigger. At least the 8 rounds with the CT were on target. Thank God the XD is a great gun, it takes the pain away from loosing faith in the LCP. I will go back to my S&W 36 for small carry for now. :'(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another LCP goes "Poof."

David Henry said:
Went to the range today. Have not been there for a while and needed to escape from the election blues. Shot 100 rounds through my XD-40 and then fired up Elsie. She shot 8 rounds and quit with a broken trigger. Crap I say. Cleaned her up, and bagged her up, awaiting my recall notice. Having real serious thoughts about trading her off when I get her back. This is the second LCP I have had with a broken trigger. At least the 8 rounds with the CT were on target. Thank God the XD is a great gun, it takes the pain away from loosing faith in the LCP. I will go back to my S&W 36 for small carry for now. :'(

·
Registered
68 Posts
TheShooter said:
David,

Can you give me a little history on the repairs down by ruger already?

Thanks The Shooter
Hi Shooter, well the first time I had a problem was when I bought my first LCP. I did not attempt to dry fire it at the shop and did not open the box again until I returned from work. No trigger action, zippo. Took it back to the Dealer and they were going to send it back to Ruger for repair. After a week I Emailed Ruger to inquire about the status and found that they never received my LCP. Called the dealer and they had not sent mine out but had just received 10 new ones and would just exchange mine for a new one.

Had shot 200 rounds with the new LCP, 100 each of Remington 88gr and Speer 90gr, with no issues. All was well until the last 8 rounds. There was no 9th. Same trigger issue as the first gun. Just a light springy feel, no action.
There was a jam-up with no extraction on the 8th shot. I can't remember if I tried to pull the trigger after the jam or not. The slide did not go back into battery either. I racked the slide so I can't say if the last bullet failed to go all the way into the barrel or not. I suspect not.

There have been no repairs yet. I will be having them address this issue when it goes back for the recall. I am on the list by Email.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wanted to check in to report the results of my last trip to the range. Took Elisie for her second trip over the weekend. After my first trip to the range, as reported earlier...I frankly wasn't expecting much. Sure enough, failures to feed on rounds 7, 9, 10 and 12. Instead of giving up, though, I figured I'd load up another mag and try again. The next 38 rounds fed and fired flawlessly. I was even able to achieve what I view as decent accuracy at 7 yards for a gun this size...

On the first trip, I didn't get anywhere close to 38 rounds without a failure to feed. I'm hoping perhaps I've broken the guns in at this point. I wanted to run another 50 rounds through, but I had 200 rounds of .45 I couldn't wait to get to. As great as the LCP is for concealed carry and self defense, as others have mentioned, the recoil will leave a sore wrist of you shoot too much at once. So, I switched to my H&K, and had a good day...

I'm almost excited about this little gun again!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Just make sure you are not limpwristing the gun. FTF are normally caused by limping. Youmight also let another "shooter" try ur lcp and see what results he has. For 38 to fire flawlessly, to me doesn't look like a guhn issue.. FWIW

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newby jumping in here - have put about 250 rounds through her and most times she feeds aok - but way too many hang up on the last round out of the mag. Today I did the Wal Mart 100 rounds of Rem 88 GR JHP and most times the last round hung up. Solid 2 hand hold so I do not think it is a limp wrist issue. When I picked her up I got 2 boxes of Speer hp and 2 of hard ball and the hard ball would not go into the chamber, just kept hanging up so I gave up on it and have a box and 1/2 to use up at some point. Just learned of this forum today at the counter in Wally World and am looking foreward to learning what others are saying about what does work and what to avoid. A Crimson laser is coming and I look forward to using that - saw my first one the other day at a new Cabela's in Maine and was really impressed. I'll be trying to decipher the abreviation codes on ammo and other things as at 70 I'm not into texing etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts