21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My Gen 2 pull is not long and hard.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Maybe mine is the exception . The first ones broke the worst. Mine has 1/4 " of free play , from there ,1/2 " pull to break . About 1/4 " space to rear of frame ( little less) Feels good ,easy to hit with.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Maybe mine is the exception . The first ones broke the worst. Mine has 1/4 " of free play , from there ,1/2 " pull to break . About 1/4 " space to rear of frame ( little less) Feels good ,easy to hit with.
Well trigger being what it is I was wondering what were the other things the II took away from the original LCP that seery was talking bout
"I feel the LCP II took away nearly everything that made the original LCP so desirable. "

·
Registered
115 Posts
Please specify , I know many liked the long hard trigger pull.
Here are my specific reason for preferring the LCP over the LCP II.

Advantages of the LCP GEN2

- Shorter overall height
- Shorter overall length
- 11% narrower frame
- Weighs 10% less
- Rounded trigger guard
- Larger trigger guard
- Smooth trigger face
- No trigger blade safety
- Low profile snag-proof sights
- Rounded heel
- Rounded rear of slide
- Rounded taper at the muzzle
- Flush slide lock lever
- Trigger requires a more deliberate action
- Mag release requires a more deliberate action
- No front serrations (easier on holster stitching)
- Holster compatibility with the Kel-tec P3AT
- Considerably smaller overall footprint
- Better overall snag-free design
- Costs less

Advantages of the LCP II

Enhanced stippling
Enhanced rear cocking serrations
Slide locks on empty chamber

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here are my specific reason for preferring the LCP over the LCP II.

Advantages of the LCP GEN2

- Shorter overall height
- Shorter overall length
- 11% narrower frame
- Weighs 10% less
- Rounded trigger guard
- Larger trigger guard
- Smooth trigger face
- No trigger blade safety
- Low profile snag-proof sights
- Rounded heel
- Rounded rear of slide
- Rounded taper at the muzzle
- Flush slide lock lever
- Trigger requires a more deliberate action
- Mag release requires a more deliberate action
- No front serrations (easier on holster stitching)
- Holster compatibility with the Kel-tec P3AT
- Considerably smaller overall footprint
- Better overall snag-free design
- Costs less

Advantages of the LCP II

Enhanced stippling
Enhanced rear cocking serrations
Slide locks on empty chamber
Thanks for the response , many of your negatives are positives for me , like you said , great we have choices. :tears_of_joy:

·
Registered
520 Posts
The long heavy trigger pull of the Gen1 LCP's are not what bothered me... It was the long free play on the take up that hindered my weak hand from reaching the trigger should I need to shoot left handed. That extra heavy 1/2" pull to break is still there with the adjustable trigger. It also reduces the amount of over travel so there is less movement after the break. I really don't think the "don't change anything" crowd understands this aspect of the Sweet Pea Trigger. It only changes the bulk of the free play both before and after engagement. I doubt I would have kept my LCP around this long if it were not for this trigger upgrade.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I am not familiar with that trigger but I have watched Galloway videos where they adjusted their triggers . I would be careful not to adjust it right up to the point of it not functioning and then backing it off a quarter turn . As Skip said , this could be fatal . I would feel better with a little slop in it and use some good thread locker.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am not familiar with that trigger but I have watched Galloway videos where they adjusted their triggers . I would be careful not to adjust it right up to the point of it not functioning and then backing it off a quarter turn . As Skip said , this could be fatal . I would feel better with a little slop in it and use some good thread locker.
Some "slop" was left in play to insure full let off and reset. With out a doubt loctite is a necessity.
Yes, Galloway carries RTK's triggers but I prefer to purchase items directly from the manufacturer. Besides RTK has full videos of how to install everything they make and they stress all of these safety measures.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Great thread for those, like myself, who like to tinker and improve things... Thanks...
Great way how it can be improved. Also thinking to buy one.
WARNING: If you don't think and process information like a good engineer and consider ALL of the ramifications of changing any internal parts in a firearm, PLEASE FORGET THE IDEA. Simply buy a firearm that's designed to satisfy your own "requirements".

Changing external things like pistol grips isn't likely to have the potentially negative effects on a firearm's functionality that many internal changes could have. BE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
WARNING: If you don't think and process information like a good engineer and consider ALL of the ramifications of changing any internal parts in a firearm, PLEASE FORGET THE IDEA. Simply buy a firearm that's designed to satisfy your own "requirements".

Changing external things like pistol grips isn't likely to have the potentially negative effects on a firearm's functionality that many internal changes could have. BE SAFE!!!
Mega Dittos

Reactions: RICHGCOOP

·
Registered
6 Posts
After I bought my Gen 2 LCP, I found both the recoil and the force required to rack the slide to be perfectly manageable. I think the unpleasant recoil is mainly a problem for people with large hands, for whom it’s hard to get a good hold on a small grip, so the gun is beating the inside of their palm with each shot.

The only accessories I got were:

1) A Sticky pocket holster. The Ruger’s own holster would occasionally pull out with the gun unless I was careful to remember to simultaneously pull up and towards the back.

2) A 7-round Ruger mag. Not only does it add a round, but it also makes the gun significantly more comfortable to grip and helps with drawing. It doesn’t really add much to printing, and I can always fall back on the 6-rounder if needed.

3) Just ordered a 13 lbs recoil spring. Have ordered it after reading an opinion that the weaker 9 lbs original spring leads to slide beating up the frame leading to faster wear and cracks. Made sense, plus it’s supposed to improve recoil. Will see how true it is when I get it.

Considered but decided against:

- Hogue grip. Don’t need it.

- Laser. Don’t think I’d have the time to fumble with it or search for the dot if SHTF.

·
Registered
961 Posts
After
3) Just ordered a 13 lbs recoil spring. Have ordered it after reading an opinion that the weaker 9 lbs original spring leads to slide beating up the frame leading to faster wear and cracks. Made sense, plus it’s supposed to improve recoil. Will see how true it is when I get it.
The new spring is almost 50% stronger than the OEM. That means the slide will now slam harder forward. I would be concerned about possible damage.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
After
The new spring is almost 50% stronger than the OEM. That means the slide will now slam harder forward. I would be concerned about possible damage.
louchia--apparently all of the opinions quoted previously in this thread and throughout the forum just don't stack up to having "just read an opinion".....hate to tell ya to just save your breath.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have had a 12# spring from nearly the start... almost 8 years now. No issues no damage, my Gen1 LCP has run flawlessly. The only issues I have heard of while using a 13# spring was the slide not wanting to lock back while the spring was new.
On the plus side the stronger springs help greatly to feed ammo seating it positively. The stock 9# springs were known to not consistently seat ammo all the way home.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Gosh, am no guru on this stuff, but thought I remember reading that the factory springs were 11# on the LCP and LCP II. Also remember reading that some forum members replace theirs every 500 to 1000 rounds. That makes a lot of sense to me, regardless of which is correct. I think new springs are only a few dollars on the Ruger website.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Gosh, am no guru on this stuff, but thought I remember reading that the factory springs were 11# on the LCP and LCP II. Also remember reading that some forum members replace theirs every 500 to 1000 rounds. That makes a lot of sense to me, regardless of which is correct. I think new springs are only a few dollars on the Ruger website.
If you get the right CS rep, he/she may send you one or more for free.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts