Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends,

Please allow us a thread to discuss specific upgrades to improve our lcp.

This booger can bite! Another forum member actually gifted me a Hogue grip and it has completely changed this pistol without compromising comfort. Sounds silly, but the rubber somewhow absorbs a lot of the recoil.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hogue-Handall-Grip-Sleeve-Hybrid-Ruger-LCP-CT-Black/2254482136

Next, and I tell you what - this is the one that blew me away the most: ARACHNAGRIP
- The LCP slide is hard, but once you apply this (which fits beautifully) the gun allows you to grasp it, instead of pinching it like a sissy. Plus, you can print your own logos on it! I got my standard mason logo, just check them out- they are amazing and the owner is the man.

https://www.arachnigrip.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkd-f9o7S2QIV0LrACh0wpg89EAAYASAAEgKPzPD_BwE

Those two add on's which are probably less than 40 bucks will make your LCP a fun lil hand cannon, but wait- what about the stainless guide rod and spring?

GALLOWAY!

Home of the stainless 13# spring for our critter- (which makes the arachnagrip even cooler)

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/stainless-steel-guide-rod-for-ruger-lcp-and-lcp-II/

What else we got fellars?

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
The Hogue grip is a good addition. I use one myself.
Rather that spend $20 for a Slide Spider, which I'm sure works very well, I decided to try and use something else. I use a strip of stair tread tale, some use skate board tape, on either side of the slide. Works for me. This a solution used by many shooters.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Anyone who does not fully understand the inner workings of a firearm - especially a modern semiautomatic handgun which has required some rather complicated engineering to design - should never be replacing internal parts just because internet chatter and retail firms like Galloway try to sell you on installing aftermarket parts for one generic reason or another. It's too easy to create an unsafe firearm or make one beat itself up internally.

I agree that, particularly with older hands, the LCP's slide can be a bear to hang on to when cycling it. However, I don't think that any significant money need be spent to resolve the problem. The stair tread tape mentioned above works fairly well but will need to be replaced relatively soon because the adhesive failing. I used that material on my LCP's slide for a while but, after replacing the tape a couple of times, I developed a much better and much more permanent solution. I embedded some carbide grit in epoxy in the slide's grooves. See the photos below:

LCP with carbide grit applied:

Carbide grit with 55gr. .223 bullet as a size reference:

The carbide grit is applied to the LCP by first applying 5-minute epoxy to the intended locations and then pressing the grit into the epoxy. Make sure to block the hole in the slide.

I could have applied the grit to both sides of the slide, but I found that using it only on the right side (for underneath my thumb) provides plenty of friction and the smooth opposite side doesn't rip my clothes or skin (depending how I'm carrying the LCP).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Nice job Skip. But, rather than the harsh grit on my tender hands, I prefer the rubberized stair tape. Holds very well. Have not yet had to replace it.
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
This is how I used the stair tread tape for my original slide grip job:

Unfortunately, the glue under the tape strips did not last as well as I had hoped. Individual strips started to move around and then they would come off.

I didn't want to use a single large piece of the stair tread tape simply because of the appearance difference.

Actually, the grit job gives me at least twice the friction for my thumb than the stair tread tape did and the performance of the grit has not degraded from day one. The friction of the original tape job did degrade over time, probably due to oils from my hand.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Agree with Skip in particular ref. any internal mods. Since the primary mission for my LCP is concealed carry, have ditched the mag. finger extension and absolutely no extended magazine...there are plenty of larger and heavier choices available, if desired. Having put 75 rounds thru one of my Customs yesterday, I need no reminders that it is not and never should be considered a range gun. However for its intended purpose of putting 7 lethal bullets reliably on target at 20-25ft. from a concealed carry, am not sure what, if any modifications need to be made. Am pretty sure none of you have much older, weaker or arthritic hands than yours truly and had absolutely no problems grasping or retracting the slide during tactical use yesterday. Today, my shooting hand feels absolutely like it did the day before yesterday. So, if you mostly younger guys feel the need to cushion the grips or increase grasp traction on the slide-go ahead, but the LCP series is just fine for me the way it is. (If you don't count cerakoting the slides, etc.)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lets not forget the best upgrade... The Sweet Pea Trigger from RTK.
The adjustable trigger... You can adjust out the excessively long trigger take up and the over travel.
But alas it doesn't change the pull weight. That is still heavy... and long.

Yes I know... You don't like people to change what works. But this fixed the trigger pull issues for me.
RTK Triggers

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Lets not forget the best upgrade... The Sweet Pea Trigger from RTK.
The adjustable trigger... You can adjust out the excessively long trigger take up and the over travel.
But alas it doesn't change the pull weight. That is still heavy... and long.
(photo)
Yes I know... You don't like people to change what works. But this fixed the trigger pull issues for me.
RTK Triggers
Adjustable triggers are fine for target pistols and rifles, but are a very dangerous choice for defensive firearms that absolutely must work every time the trigger is pulled. The adjustments in adjustable triggers can move over time and it's possible that the trigger will fail to function at absolutely the wrong time - when someone's life depends on it working properly.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I, personally, think a better title for this thread would have been: "LCP must NOT have upgrades".........:icon_ nono:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I, personally, think a better title for this thread would have been: "LCP must NOT have upgrades".........:icon_ nono:
Skip and ETS.......I couldn't agree with you guys more! I've been a Glock/Sig Sauer Police Armorer for many years and it amazes me that folks who own guns haven't got a clue as to how they operate! Why do these folks think they know more than the Ruger engineers who designed the LCP? Changing springs, guide rods etc. is just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The LCP is a deep concealed carry/defensive handgun which you place your life on. If these inexpensive after market changes are so good, then why doesn't Ruger incorporate them into the design process and why does Ruger VOID the warranty with any altercations? If someone doesn't like the LCP, then find another STOCK handgun that works for you. Adjustable triggers? Your going to gamble with your life on an aftermarket trigger that Ruger tells you not to?

Always remember, once that gun comes out to save your life......it better work, there is no second place in a gunfight!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ruger Gen1 had 9 lb recoil springs for Gen2 Ruger engineers up graded those springs to 11 lbs. Ruger engineers did an upgrade to the Gen2 LCP Custom. Hmm very close to the Sweet Pea Trigger AFTER the adjustments have been made. Granted it too is non adjustable like the Gen1, but... It also seemed that the Gen2 spring guides were not as troublesome as the Gen1's. Could this be due to an upgraded "better" steel? Finally, look at what the engineers did with the LCPII... Were the Ruger Engineers wrong to take the ideas of the secondary market into consideration, and then ... use those ideas? I'd say no... Gentlemen fearing the advancement of design mankind would have not made it out of the stone age. First draft designs ALWAYS get improved on. That is a simple fact. I guess I don't mind being ahead of the curve. Have a good day.
Edit: and I didn't even get to the improvements made on the sights over the years.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Secondary note... Ruger has never voided a warranty for modifying their firearms... one simple fact is that they have no warranty on their guns. Their simple statement is that if you happen to send your firearm back to the mother ship for any reason they will return it to factory specs before returning it to you. All non Ruger parts will be returned but you will be billed for the stock parts used. I cannot fault them for their superb customer service on both their new and used guns.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Keeping to what I consider to be the primary mission of the LCP, here's what I did to the new, larger photoluminescent sight on my Ruger Customs:

The original Custom front sight in the daylight was not very visible and the recessed "glow in the dark" feature was slightly less than useless....seemed like someone "fell off the curve" on that one. It seems to me that not all changes are necessarily good, even enlarging the sights on a concealed gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...they will return it to factory specs before returning it to you. All non Ruger parts will be returned but you will be billed for the stock parts used.
I know a few people that sent in their LCP's and were not billed for the parts used to return it to factory specs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I know a few people that sent in their LCP's and were not billed for the parts used to return it to factory specs.
Excellent... Ruger seems to be learning in that aspect too then. Happy customers means something.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Skip and ETS.......I couldn't agree with you guys more! I've been a Glock/Sig Sauer Police Armorer for many years and it amazes me that folks who own guns haven't got a clue as to how they operate! Why do these folks think they know more than the Ruger engineers who designed the LCP? Changing springs, guide rods etc. is just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The LCP is a deep concealed carry/defensive handgun which you place your life on. If these inexpensive after market changes are so good, then why doesn't Ruger incorporate them into the design process and why does Ruger VOID the warranty with any altercations? If someone doesn't like the LCP, then find another STOCK handgun that works for you. Adjustable triggers? Your going to gamble with your life on an aftermarket trigger that Ruger tells you not to?

Always remember, once that gun comes out to save your life......it better work, there is no second place in a gunfight!
You say this knowing Glock is maybe the most modified , modifiable pistol on the market.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ruger Gen1 had 9 lb recoil springs for Gen2 Ruger engineers up graded those springs to 11 lbs. Ruger engineers did an upgrade to the Gen2 LCP Custom. Hmm very close to the Sweet Pea Trigger AFTER the adjustments have been made. Granted it too is non adjustable like the Gen1, but... It also seemed that the Gen2 spring guides were not as troublesome as the Gen1's. Could this be due to an upgraded "better" steel? Finally, look at what the engineers did with the LCPII... Were the Ruger Engineers wrong to take the ideas of the secondary market into consideration, and then ... use those ideas? I'd say no... Gentlemen fearing the advancement of design mankind would have not made it out of the stone age. First draft designs ALWAYS get improved on. That is a simple fact. I guess I don't mind being ahead of the curve. Have a good day.
Edit: and I didn't even get to the improvements made on the sights over the years.
Agree, all the things needed to make the LCP a better , maybe the best pocket pistol were finally incorporated in the LCP II.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When my wife put her LCP down in favor of a compact 9 I decided to see about things I had heard to make the LCP more shootable.
For me it did not matter how easy it was to conceal if when I pulled it out of my pocket my first shot was going far left.
If I had known what I know now I probably would have left the spring the same & just put on the Hogue grip .
That said before I could get better at shooting her LCP she took it back & has put many many rounds through it over the years without any problem with the 13 lb spring.
Also she does not seem to have any problem racking the slide , I think the trick is practice practice practice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Agree, all the things needed to make the LCP a better , maybe the best pocket pistol were finally incorporated in the LCP II.
That’s why it’s great we have choices. I feel the LCP II took away nearly everything that made the original LCP so desirable.

Ended up selling both my LCP II’s and picked up a couple more GEN2’s.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That’s why it’s great we have choices. I feel the LCP II took away nearly everything that made the original LCP so desirable.

Ended up selling both my LCP II’s and picked up a couple more GEN2’s.
Please specify , I know many liked the long hard trigger pull.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts