Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have one of the very early LCP .380's and another, the very first modification they made, gen 2 or #2 or whatever they called it. Both have worked perfectly all these years. Yesterday i bought a new LCP Max. That was a mistake. It won't even cycle. The bullet just gets stuck in the cylinder and the only way i can get it out is to take the gun apart. I brought it back to tbe store and they are sending it back to Ruger. I was told repairs usually take 4 to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Got it back from Ruger a lot quicker than 4 to 6 weeks, and i tried it out a couple of days ago. I still think it was a mistake and I should have stuck with my proven reliable old originals. The Max shot OK except one ftf which i never had on the old ones. It was the last round in the mag. The round shot when i tried it again.

Two other problems: the finger pinch thing. I get that too. I think it effects people with big fingers. I filed down the hole above the trigger smoothing it out some, but it's hard to get a file in there. It helped but not entirely.

The second problem is also one that reviewers have complained about and that is the mag release button sticks out and can get accidentally pushed, releasing the mag in the pocket or elsewhere. I had that same problem with the old original LCP's and i addressed it the same way, by filing down the button. That worked perfectly in my old ones but I don't know if it will in the Max because the button sticks out a lot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got it back from Ruger a lot quicker than 4 to 6 weeks, and i tried it out a couple of days ago. I still think it was a mistake and I should have stuck with my proven reliable old originals. The Max shot OK except one ftf which i never had on the old ones. It was the last round in the mag. The round shot when i tried it again.

Two other problems: the finger pinch thing. I get that too. I think it effects people with big fingers. I filed down the hole above the trigger smoothing it out some, but it's hard to get a file in there. It helped but not entirely.

The second problem is also one that reviewers have complained about and that is the mag release button sticks out and can get accidentally pushed, releasing the mag in the pocket or elsewhere. I had that same problem with the old original LCP's and i addressed it the same way, by filing down the button. That worked perfectly in my old ones but I don't know if it will in the Max because the button sticks out a lot.
I have mentioed it before , I believe Ruger dropped the ball when they designed the mag release as a button on the side of the frame instead of a "European" style latch on the bottom of the handle. There is no need to reload on a last ditch pocket pistol and the placement of the mag release allows the magazine to be released. Anyone who actually believes that they will be reloading a pocket pistol instead of getting the hell away is living in fantasy land. I was a cop, Homicide investigator and SWAT team commander for 32 years and never saw or heard of a single case where somone actually stayed at the scene to reload.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i was also on the job. highly unlikely there will be a civilian scenario involving reloading in the midst of a gunfight. They say the extra bullets or magazine is mainly so u don't have to go home with an empty gun!

i never had a gun with that European mag release on the bottom. it sounds like a better idea. Can it be accidentally pressed while pocket carrying too? i have to watch out with all of them that the mag release side button doesn't get accidentally pressed releasing the mag, including Glocks. I would be happy with a button that is nicely recessed, the opposite of what they like to do. i don't know what they're thinking when they design these things. R they thinking that the LCP's and the like r mainly going to be used for competition shooting at the range where you'd want a quickly easily popping out magazine?

I'm tending towards old fashioned revolvers these days.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was also on the job. highly unlikely there will be a civilian scenario involving reloading in the midst of a gunfight. They say the extra bullets or magazine is mainly so u don't have to go home with an empty gun!

i never had a gun with that European mag release on the bottom. it sounds like a better idea. Can it be accidentally pressed while pocket carrying too? i have to watch out with all of them that the mag release side button doesn't get accidentally pressed releasing the mag, including Glocks. I would be happy with a button that is nicely recessed, the opposite of what they like to do. i don't know what they're thinking when they design these things. R they thinking that the LCP's and the like r mainly going to be used for competition shooting at the range where you'd want a quickly easily popping out magazine?

I'm tending towards old fashioned revolvers these days.
The "european" style latch is a positive lock up that does not inadvertantly release the magazine like the current one on the LCP. Yes, it makes for slower reloading but I'm not sticking around for that, lol. I am also tired of the release being deployed while in my pocket and have gravitated back to my trusty "j" frame sw 638.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts