Ruger Pistol Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up the new LCP Max. I have 3 magazines. The pistol when the slide is manually pulled back will not lock back on an empty Mag. Is this a
Defect?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of the Max 9 reviews said that the frame around the slide catch had been raised to prevent accidental catching the slide if the hand grip is high. This made it difficult to press the catch lever up when they wanted to catch the slide open.
I suspect the LCP Max would have similar styling and the catch lever may be difficult to push up on when wanting to catch the slide open.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you pulling the slide back far enough foe the slide lock to engage the cut in the slide? Will the slide lock move up easily with the slide off or does it bind. With the slide off the slide lock should move into the up position with an empty mad in the frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had that happen consistently on one mag after I dropped the mag on the floor, the plastic followers aren't real resilient. I don't drop them any more. I also overkill grease the areas around the slide, it gets into the mag release area for sure.

Your problem sounds like something different however. If you can't fix it you have to send it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[
I recently picked up the new LCP Max. I have 3 magazines. The pistol when the slide is manually pulled back will not lock back on an empty Mag. Is this a
Defect?

Thanks

Same here. I checked its operation with mag insertion, and it is the mag not catching or making contact with the slide release. What to do? is it the gun slide release or the mags defectiveness...
I probably have to contact Ruger about this, too bad...

Al

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check out the slide release, remove roughness or drag, address any roughness in the notch on the slide, or send the gun and mags back to Ruger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm waiting for my new LCP Max to arrive at my FFL. I've heard that the failure to lock back on empty is an issue with the new pistol.

I had the same issue with my LCP II, but only on the 7-round mag. I sent it back to Ruger, who "examined" it, test fired it with a new mag, and sent it back with the new mag. It's been great since.

Ruger's CS is terrific. Even if this happens on my new LCP, I won't have an issue contacting them and sending it in if they request.

The reports from folks who already have one are all two thumbs up. So, I'm hoping (and waiting).

Reactions: Fla_dogman

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got the Max and had that problem my first (and only) day at the range with the factory 10 round mag. Only locked back on empty approx 2 out of the 8 full mags I went through. I was using 94 grain fmj. My two 12 round mags just came in today and after I break it down for cleaning/inspection, I will try again with new mags this week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Max has arrived at my FFL but my schedule this week is too full to pick it up. I've arranged to get it Saturday, and since my FFL is an indoor range, I'll see about booking some time to test it out. Usually I like to clean a gun first, but I may make an exception this time (although once I look at it I might change my mind - Ruger is known to use a lot of grease on the guns).

I may be different than many other folks: If the gun isn't right, I have no problems (based on prior experience) sending it to Ruger for correction. I have other guns in my carry rotation, so I won't feel put out if I have to wait a bit on adding the Max to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Max has arrived at my FFL but my schedule this week is too full to pick it up. I've arranged to get it Saturday, and since my FFL is an indoor range, I'll see about booking some time to test it out. Usually I like to clean a gun first, but I may make an exception this time (although once I look at it I might change my mind - Ruger is known to use a lot of grease on the guns).

I may be different than many other folks: If the gun isn't right, I have no problems (based on prior experience) sending it to Ruger for correction. I have other guns in my carry rotation, so I won't feel put out if I have to wait a bit on adding the Max to it.
At the very least I would run a bore snake through the barrel. That way you know there is nothing in there and the nice part you don't have to take the gun down.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I picked up the Max at my range/FFL Saturday. The box and manual say the gun is ready to go, right out of the box. But it did appear a bit greasy to me, and my preference is to take it down, inspect it, clean it, and then go shoot it. I found some CCI Blazer Brass ammo online and ordered 100 rounds (@ .60 per) and when it arrives, I'll go get acquainted with it.

My first impression, even though I have an LCP II, was -- wow, this gun is tiny (for a 10+1)!

Reactions: rclark28 and KUSA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just shot my new LCP MAX for the first time and locked open every time with both mags, 10 and 12 round. Three different FMJ rounds and three different defense rounds for a total of about 150 rounds. Shot perfect, but had to push mag in, could NOT hit it home with the palm of my hand.

Lee

·
Registered
2 Posts
Defect?

Thanks

The magazines are not the problem with the slide lockback feature after last round fired. The problem is that the slide catch lever tab that contacts the left front of the follower is not long enough. If you remove the slide and insert a mag you will see the tab doesn't even reach the magazine housing. This is an ongoing issue and Ruger has been sending tons of mags out and it hasn't fixed the problem. I contacted Ruger and they are going to explore my findings. In the meanwhile they are sending me a new slide lock lever and spring and if it still does not work and if it's the same as the original. I will fix it myself with 1/16" extension welded to the tab that contacts the follower.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts