Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my LCP for a few years and today at the range it blew up. Yes, literally blew up. I thought I had lost a few fingers and of course this type of failure can be fatal but luckily besides some pretty serious bruising of my hand and fingers I think I am ok. I was using good ammo to, not some Russian stuff. I was using 95gr Remington brass FMJ ammo. I called Ruger and while I know they have to ask questions it seemed they were trying to shift blame to the ammo. Look, I don't need them questioning me like I am some kind of criminal(that is what I felt like) and it seemed like I would be lucky if I even got my gun replaced(it is beyond repair). I don't want to jump the gun, pardon the pun but just a little compassion would be expected. NOT ONE TIME did she say she was sorry that happened or she hoped I was ok. I am not looking for sympathy but geez, who trains these people at Ruger? So I will send it back and see what happens but I can tell you this I will be very unhappy and post on this blog, youtube and every other social media site I can find if they do not AT LEAST replace my gun. Personally I think they should replace it and throw in a box of ammo(they have a promo going on now with purchase of LCP)at a minimum. It would also be nice if they included a certificate for a discounted future Ruger gun purchase but the way I was treated on the phone call I doubt it and will be lucky to get it replaced. I am documenting everything, pictures, who I spoke to and when just in case I do have to get an attorney. I hate having to use attorneys but if Ruger does not do the right thing and replace my gun I am going to be pissed. 20140912_125051.jpg 20140912_125054.jpg

·
Super Moderator
4,595 Posts
Wow! I hope your hand and fingers are ok. I am not sticking up for Ruger, but customer service is thinking that another customer was using +P ammo again. Do they want you to send them Elsie so they can check it out? If it turns out it was a production issue, they would make good on it. Keep us posted on what Ruger has to say.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Glad you are ok. These kind of posts and pictures scare me to death. Not sure about Ruger, but sometimes CS basically has a script and due to liability reasons they are not allowed to go off script. Keep us informed. Again, glad you are ok.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Sorry for your mishap, but have to side with Ruger on this one. It really appears to be a hot ammo load to me. I would not shoot any more of that ammo. Maybe a bad batch or bad round. The people at Ruger have always been top notch for me. Wanting a box of ammo, a gift certificate and a free gun does not sound right at this time. Did you also call Remington and make claims? Why are you talking Lawyer at this time? I'm sure Ruger will give you a new gun, but would want to see the gun first, especially if you are threatening a law suite. There have been literally thousands of these pistols sold, and Ruger does intensive testing. I had a cracked frame on a LCP and I believe to this day it was a hot round from a commercial reload. Ruger gave me a new Pistol. I did not expect this. There customer service is the best in the world, bar none. No offense, but I thing you could have handled this a little bettter. Forget the freebies. Get serious.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Dave is right. You can certainly get a factory load that is hot...or a squib.

·
Registered
36 Posts
reloaders are not the only ones who make mistakes. factories do as well. it may be the Ruger rep suspected a double charge from Remington and was inquiring in that direction. also as you certainly understand just because you know you are honest that does not mean someone on the phone miles away who has never met you would know that as well. I am sure they deal with many who might shall we say stretch the truth for their own gain. had you been disabled due to a defect,the lawsuit would be substantial.
my two encounters with Ruger CS were outstanding. once for a recall on my P85 shortly after the recall was announced (in he eighties), and for a broken LCP. CS gets high praise from me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
We're all glad you weren't seriously injured. Scarey Experience!!!

While reviewing your photos I pulled the pin on my LCP, removed the slide then popped in a full magazine. The photos look as though the explosion took place behind the chamber based on the angles of the bowing of the frame, perhaps right at or immediately forward of the top of the magazine well. Got me wondering if a defective cartridge base blew out during the firing cycle. Of course that doesn't explain the primer going off.

Ken

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Just spoke with a guy the other day. He was new to shooting and so was his wife. She had a factory ammo squib and neither realized what happened. He cleared the jam and sent another bullet down the pipe. Luckily it didn't blow up. Bulged the barrel and locked it up. Guns are in fact dangerous. Heads up fellers.

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
Based on what I see in the photos, I don't think the cartridge in the chamber is what caused the damage. I get the impression that a cartridge in the magazine somehow was ignited.

Photos I've seen on the old forum (and are probably still here somewhere) show damage in very different locations when the cause was high chamber/barrel pressure. That damage was all essentially forward of the trigger. This damage is all in the grip area.

I'm sure Ruger will be able to analyze the incident.

One question to the OP - were you able to get the magazine out of the well? I'm thinking it may have been blown out of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Have had the Ruger LCP for a few years and no post on this forum. Then after a few years has a problem. Then has only two post on this forum to vent about Ruger. Actually its one post, posted twice in two areas.

To me it looks like the OP only came here to bash Ruger and to try and show them how he intends to bad mouth them until he gets a new gun. Apparently has not had any interest here for the past several years until he thinks it will help his case.

I'm glad you are OK. But I might suggest you approach Ruger a little differently. I would suggest you tell them that you know stuff happens and no one was hurt. You would just like to have them replace the gun so that you can enjoy it for several more years as you did your first one. Try that method first. If you don't get the new gun then go the piss and vinegar route if you feel you need to.

Also, to me Remington ammo is some of the worst out there and would disagree it is "good" ammo. Personally, I think it is junk and don't use it for any of my guns.

I'm not sure I'd be paying a lawyer anything for a gun that cost around $300 or less brand new. You could and would likely pay them much more, and lose. I'm guessing Ruger has deeper pockets than the majority of us.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I seen this post while browsing the site and had to register so I could comment....
Its in no way Rugers fault, a lawyer would laugh in your face as would I.. As said earlier ammo can and has been double charged at factory its the ammo, and now you're whining you want a new gun and a box of ammo, do you want the CS lady to hold your hand as you cross the street?? Suck it up buddy.....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Have not a clue as to why this would be Rugers fault. Some peoples kids!
This would be an entirely different matter if it had involved a combination of pockets, children and fast-food emporiums.

der Snewk

(Oh,....that's right!...........it didn't...................Sorry, Nevermind.)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I'm glad the OP wasn't hurt!
The OP stated he was using Remington brass FMJ Ammo. To me that sounds like reloads and throws up a red flag. I see the Rem. boxes in the photo and I put my reloads in factory boxes also. The photo of the weapon doesn't look like most blown up weapons that I have seen and the description of the ammo is sketchy. I'm glad the OP didn't get hurt. Denny

Reactions: Snewk

·
Premium Member
3,812 Posts
As of the time of this posting, the OP has not returned to the forums since creating this thread and the first post in it. I sure would like some answers from him/her.

Additional: I found that this person also posted a video on youtube and in the video I saw that there was what appeared to be a perfectly shaped cartridge still in the chamber. That makes me even more suspicious of a round in the magazine (which was out of the pistol and in a bag in the video) being touched off somehow. Interestingly, the OP didn't even state whether or not he had checked to see if the round in the chamber was live or expended. He was waving the LCP all over the place during the making of the video. You can find the video at this link

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Dramatic Title!!!

Promising Promo Trailer

Weak Plot

Film broke 4 minutes into the run and projectionist disappeared.

The End.............................

Reviews by
der Snewk

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm glad that the OP did not get hurt badly.

Skip's suspicion that a round in the magazine was somehow ignited seems plausible to me too. Could it be a round with a high primer which was hit by the slide when it was returning to battery...??

I can certainly understand that anyone would a develop strong aversion to the gun and its maker if this happened. I just don't know if the entire blame is attributable to the gun itself because at least one of the causal factors is the ammo. (Empty guns do not explode.) I don't know how many rounds the OP had fired through this LCP before this happened. But obviously other than the particular round that supposedly exploded while it was still in the magazine, his LCP had been working properly, firing all other cartridges normally....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the magazine and spent casings from the event. My first impression of the pictures looked like a failed attempt at a full disassembly of the firearm.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.